Windows 11

Can confirm that 12.3.1 (uh, MacOS that is) can drag files from one tab to another tab… :grin: :rofl: :+1:

Right now I’m using Stardock’s Groupy app (an x86 app). It does the work but TBH, I loathe 3rd party tweaking on my devices. It occasionally causes a lag in file explorer. Can’t wait to uninstall and use the inbuilt app.

2 Likes

agreed, not to mention that Windows 11 seems to have adopted the Apple approach where every update breaks any 3rd party UI mod

2 Likes

Not going over too well at Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows11/comments/tyflzp/microsoft_replied_about_bringing_back_option_to/

And the Microsoft developers just come across as arrogant and condescending.

1 Like

Tali Roth: “When you look at the data… that set of users is really small.”

What a self-absorbed and condescending nut job. Let’s try to make them shut up and disappear by marginalizing them as a fringe group of angry users. If she checked the Feedback Hub, she’d realize that’s patently false and her data feed is broken or she failed data 101. If she read the sum total of user responses elsewhere online as well, she’d realize that’s patently false. The stage-four arrogance at this company is plain disgusting. I get it, you can’t please everyone, but the hard data screams otherwise: most people aren’t pleased with your UI limitations. It’s like the Emperor’s New Clothes except everyone already knows he’s the streak but he just goes on believing, birthday suit notwithstanding. Everyone has given up trying to get him to stop his shenanigans because they know he won’t believe he’s stark naked no matter who or what they tell him.

2 Likes

What really gets me, is that this shouldn’t be hard for one of the richest companies in history with some of the best computer programmers. Adaptive UI or not, this should not be hard.

Of course, when you look at this from a company politics and profit angle it makes a lot of sense. Well, I say makes sense, but merely from the inside. Ultimately treating your users with such disdain, even a minority (or better put minorities) eventually won’t end well.

1 Like

Yeah I’m tempted to say “and they’re pissing off exactly their pro users, bad idea!” But then I remember the success that Apple has had with simplifying things in iOS, and I start wondering if removing some less frequently used options may actually be the smart play. I will say that this aging pro is completely fed up with MS’ UX decisions. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Those programmers remind me that if you send an “Agile” ™ team to build a horse, you’ll get an elephant and a lot of self-congratulatory arrogance.

4 Likes

I went to the feedback hub to find out how many people are requesting the
changes for the taskbar.

But I couldn’t find it. How many requests are there?

The one with the most, was about 9000+, and that was to have small icons as an option.

That said, it probably really is a very small number, compared to the overall amount of users.

Is there a 3rd party app that can fix it?

My experience with Windows 11 lasted about 5 minutes. I got a new computer, booted it up,
and it wanted to set up Windows 11.

It asked for an internet connection, so I killed that task, so I didn’t
have to make a new account.

I did have to turn on the internet, just to download Windows 10.
(computer doesn’t have a CD/DVD drive).

Wiped out Windows 11, and went back to 10 (Which i hate).
Windows 7 won’t work on an i9 unless its in a VM.

Was able to get to the Windows 10 start.

later

2 Likes

I’m actually surprisingly a little sympathetic to Microsoft’s problems here, because as annoyed as the missing features make me, I realize they’re building the UI (taskbar, start menu, everything) from scratch. So I get the idea of what they’re saying. That they need to prioritize the most used features first, because they can’t get it all done at once.

But wow, what an awful way they actually expressed that. Can’t blame everyone for being ticked off at that video.

1 Like

Just installed AllStartBack, which just takes the still present Windows 10 taskbar and modifies it a bit.

My goodness, how responsive it is! Windows 11’s Start Menu if not used recently would take seconds to load. This one is near enough instant. The Start Menu is better than Microsoft’s rubbish, though not as good as Stardock’s Start 11.

Start 11’s was just as slow as Windows 11’s native Start Menu, but that really is a small team with nowhere near the access Microsoft themselves have.

Sorry, but I have zero sympathy for the Windows 11 developers. They have managed to make it worse for the end user. I don’t care how niche some of the features were (and frankly, for an OS of such vintage I expect a plethora of features - something Linux gets right).

That they made it hard work for themselves is their problem. And as they are trying to sell a product, they should take the criticism on the chin and act upon it; not act as if they know best.

Oh, and I can use BatteryBar on the taskbar again. F U Microsoft.

4 Likes

Oh…

I’ve just plonked a new Surface Pro 7 onto a desk, after configuring the profile and all that jazz. Removed admin rights, standard user. The person aligned to grid (so they state) and all of the desktop icons have vanished into the odd line at the top.

I’ve tried a LOT of suggested actions. Nothing has helped. Very odd. Might be that it’s not quite ready for Windows 11.

I’m currently re-creating the profile.

1 Like

@Excalibur1814 What an odd bug, haven’t seen that ever. Did you try connecting an external monitor? Try adding another desktop? Random thought, did you try resizing the desktop icons to see if they show up? Ctrl-shift-1 for huge icons, or ctrl-scrollwheel-up to keep increasing size. Anyway, I guess you’re rebuilding.

1 Like

@Excalibur1814 We’ve seen that a few times on some 11th gen systems. though not specifically on the Surface Pro. Are you by chance using the Intel graphics driver instead of the MS Surface certified one?

1 Like

I tried a whole load of things. Various settings etc. The icons are there, all condensed together. I did not, however, try a different Intel driver. (Tried a second monitor as main screen etc).

Moved back to Windows 10 and everything is fine. Never seen something like this before but time wasn’t on my side to explore more.

2 Likes

I am getting a bug where when I move out of sleep mode, I am stuck on lockscreen wallpaper with no text or other GUI interface elements. I can at most hold the power button which gets the side to shut down your PC curtain to appear. But even if I drag that down, it does nothing and reverts to the UI-less background. Only a hard shutdown works. :confused:

Thought this quote was too promising to leave it in an iPad M2 thread. :slight_smile: Let’s hope the new team members bring some fresh ideas!

5 Likes

Let’s hope it doesn’t turn out to be “too many cooks”. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

What do you mean?! I have this totally awesome idea that we should totally implement!

Anyone experiencing difficulty launching pinned webpages/PWAs from the Taskbar? Takes several clicks and sometimes completely refuses to launch.