Windows 11 on Surface Duo

That is so cool! Man, Iwillnotgetsuckedin Iwillnotgetsuckedin.

3 Likes

That’s really similar to the ethos of a former test engineer with Nvidia I know whose job was literally to imagine what consumers would attempt with their cards and then document the results :rofl:

PS: he was one of the only engineers I know of that had a fire extinguisher mounted on his desk :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You are so brave with taking risk but damn that setup looks amazing. True pocketable PC with decent battery ( probably?) and won’t heat up in your hands like those AMD consoles or intel Celeron tablets which still require a small bag to carry.

The one should have created such device is MS though. WOA was perfect for under 10 inchs tablets but unfortunately they was dropped.

3 Likes

This on two 8" screens would be killer. The more I mess around with this, the madder I am that Microsoft never built a foldable Surface Pro X (NEO!).

I’m still not sure what to make out of the battery life. After an hour and a half, or maybe 2 hours of set up and downloading, it says 55% (46 battery 1, 58 battery 2). But you can’t really judge battery life while doing set up tasks.

3 Likes

To be fair, nor would either of those if you were just web surfing and doing a few downloads.

Does the pen still work? Also cellular? I think I hear my Duo WOA calling…who am I kidding…except for modding a cheapo Barnes & Noble tablet years ago to run plain Android I’ve never taken on anything like this - that’s for mad scientists like @violajack!

2 Likes

Yes, the pen actually works better in landscape as long as you don’t get too close to the bottom of the screen. Calibration still doesn’t run and it drifts near the outer edges. Cellular is currently broken as far as I can tell. I don’t have a SIM in mine. But it seems like it worked at one point. I’m really looking forward to them fixing USB-C video out. It’s on the list.

It gets quite toasty when doing all of this BTW.

But come on…

7 Likes

@violajack - you are SO RIGHT - two 8" ultrathin screen would be the ultimate portable device…

O Neo, Neo, wherefore art thou Neo?

2 Likes

Are you playing Sims on the lower screen? Is it running emulated from the x86 version and do you get workable frame rates?

Or maybe try the Arm build of My Paint to see how it performs on WOA mode.

Yes, that is Sims4 installed from the EA App. I’m pretty sure that’s x64 emulated. I have many extra packs and stuff too, the whole download came in at 27GB. CAS was workable. I moved my new Sim into a house, but didn’t get to play yet as I was pushing 20% battery and I have to reboot to Android to charge. I’ve been a responsible grown-up doing school with my kids for a few hours now and the battery is almost full again. I’ll get them through math then give sims a real play.

I need to see if I have any disk space left to see if I can test anything else. I doubt I’ll keep Sims on there long term as it’s an awfully tiny screen to play on. More proof of concept for me.

6 Likes

Well, if that’s true, you’re the first on this site… :rofl:

2 Likes

I attempted to play Sims4 for about 10 minutes. It’s smooth enough with settings at medium, but the screen is just too small to be playable. I probably didn’t even need settings so high with how tiny everything is, it just defaults to medium everything since it doesn’t recognize the graphics card. I uninstalled it.

This is probably the #1 thing preventing the whole concept from being truly usable. Windows assumes a bigger screen. So even with enough pixels, there’s just not enough physical space to display what Windows wants you to see. Mobile apps, with simpler interfaces, managed the smaller screen better. Short of relying completely on web apps that dynamically reorient themselves for mobile, I don’t see how a desktop operating system can work on something of this form factor.

Oh wait! I know exactly how this works. You get mobile on the phone screen, then plug it into a bigger monitor to get a desktop view. Hmmmmmm, where have seen that before? I guess I’ll just have to hope they figure out USBC video out so I can use my big monitor as a 3rd screen.

2 Likes

Going out on a limb here, but could you wirelessly connect to a display, e.g. to a Roku or smart TV? Winkey-K?

Should work with a Samsung tablet using Second Screen. I have windows 11 dual booted onto my AYN Odin (android handheld gaming machine) and used the second screen in windows to have a second monitor using my Samsung Tab S7 FE. Worked pretty decently, if not the highest resolution.

Yes, I was able to get it to cast to the Tab S8 in second screen. It was…not smooth. Also only 1920x1080.

Interesting development! It casts to my HP Elite Lapdock, and accepts keyboard input! Not only that, but it sends keypresses properly!!! Dex will cast to the lapdock wirelessly, but every keypress is doubled, making the keyboard unusable. Unfortunately, the trackpad does not work. This is a fantastic desktop solution, but no trackpad means it’s not really lapable.

But you guys, this is full Windows on a 12.5" laptop screen being driven by a (not)phone! If they ever get USBC video working, that would open even more possibilities. And there is a wireless nexdock option. Really, the only thing missing is charging. A work session can only be as long as the battery lasts since you have to reboot to Android to charge.

5 Likes

4 Likes

And I just realized if I put the phone down on the right side of the lapdock, I can use the onscreen touchpad to move the cursor around. A mouse is still better, but not strictly necessary. If it could charge in windows, it would almost be usable out of the house like this.

3 Likes

I tweaked it hard enough. There was a driver update and I attempted the update according to the guide, but I’m getting errors. I got a log in screen with no touch, so no way to log in, and it finally blue screened and rebooted after sitting for a few minutes at the log in screen. I’m going to reinstall fresh and see if I can get a working install again. I was honestly considering wiping it back to just Android so I could return it and get a 256GB one, but I’m going to give it one more try on this one. I don’t really neeeeeeeed more storage, but you know, more is more.

2 Likes