When do you think you'll replace your current tech?

While it’s best not to underestimate one’s foes, I wouldn’t worry too much about that.

Russia… well morals aside, are simply getting it handed to them. They are performing far worse than almost anyone expected.

And China… have a whole heap of their own problems. Population decline, ageing population, property bubble, manufacturing moving elsewhere, environmental damage, large swathes of their land set to suffer from climate change, internal discontent (to put it politely) on many fronts, and very deep malaise amongst the youth (‘lying flat’ as they like to call it - well, when it’s not censored).

3 Likes

Getting back on topic, I’d like to revise my initial thought — I’m pretty sure the Kindle Scribe will simply replace my current Paperwhite.

Depending on how things go, I see one of the following things happen:

• I use the Kindle Scribe for both reading and note-taking, even when going to bed
  • I send it back and get a Kobo Ellipsa, or a Supernote, or a Mobiscribe Origin, or Onyx Tab Ultra (apparently they had a product launch even on 27 October which nobody noticed — really, Samsung should just buy them)
  • I use it for a while and get an updated 300ppi version of one of the above
2 Likes

Argh, why don’t we get trade in deals like this in Japan?
I’m just about ready to join Putin’s anti-American alliance.

2 Likes

Only Samsung does these crazy good deals in the US and then they screw up on the order form, repeatedly (you never see the same discounts twice), or lose your trade-in when you send it or they declare it was the wrong model & return it (taking three months to do so 'cause they lost it for a while) or … (All three happened to me last year on three separate deals.) Great when things go smooth for people but incredibly frustrating for those of us who hit snags and not worth it at all for me. I will think long and hard before going for one of those deals again. :anger:

5 Likes

SO TRUE - I’ve only dabbled in the Samsung trade-ins a couple of times, but they NEVER go right, and their pre-order give-aways are the WORST because as you try to use the accessory coupons they recalculate the whole discount structure of your trade in and bonus selections making it impossible to get the deal you thought you were getting.

2 Likes

Hmm, most of my tech isn’t that old. Probably only 1 I want to upgrade in the next year or so.

2020 MBP: I’m sure it will be some time. It’s running fine for everything I do, mainly typing on this forum, and running my Windows Virtual Machine for work. My wife’s MBP lasted 10 years. I’d be thrilled if I could get 7-10 out of this one. 2027-2030?

2020 IPP 12.9: I have gone back and forth wanting to downgrade the size to an 11" for the last year since the M1 came out. Now that hover is on the M2, I’m much much more tempted. My 2020 sometimes lags with large brushes/canvases in CSP. Perhaps a more powerful M2 with more ram will be enough to fix that. Right now I’m thinking, if I get a promotion I’m somewhat expecting, I might sell my 2020, or gift it to my kids for school and get an 11" M2 as a celebratory gift to myself.

Pixel 6: I don’t think I’ve even had it a year yet. I usually keep my phones for 3 years +, so probably 2024-2025.

Fitbit Charge 5: I couldn’t hold out for the Pixel Watch when my last Fitbit died . I’m glad for it for now. I might upgrade when the next Watch comes out with bugs worked out. I’m thinking 2024.

3 Likes

Congrats - and I have to say I love the 11" size overall. I also noticed your comment on the Fitbit Charge 5 - my Watch 7 may have to last a long time because I only use it for tracking my walks and occasionally checking the weather anymore. In fact if it were to die tomorrow I don’t think I’d replace it (heresy, I know).

2 Likes

I’m the opposite. If Apple will allow the watch app on an iPad instead of exclusively on an iPhone I would seriously consider getting rid of my smartphone completely. The only snag would be Wi-Fi hotspot but I could get that some other way.

1 Like

I feel you. My Oppo watch/ Wear OS smart watches have grown so much on me that I never leave home without it. But in reality, there isn’t that much I use the smart watch for that makes it that much of an essential accessory.

1 Like

I wore a Gear S2 Classic for years. The battery is even still alright. But one of the lug holes seems to have enlargened too much.

And not only after resigning it to a drawer did I stop wearing it, I stopped wearing any watch. I used to always have a nice, middling analogue one on, but I’ve just sort of gone off them. I think I might go back to an analogue, as having the time at hand so easily and reliably is quite handy.

2 Likes

So for me

Surface Laptop Studio - that depends on work since its my work computer.

iPad Pro 12.9 3rd Gen - The only thing that will make me jump up my iPad will be an Apple Pencil 3. All these M1 and M2 updates, no interest to be honest. My 3rd gen 12.9 does everything I need just fine.

Mini 6 - Same, its the most perfect single device I own, and the 6th model addressed everything I wanted in the mini. Apple Pencil 3 or if they made it foldable (duo sized) would get me to jump

M1 Macbook Air - After almost a year and half of solid macbooking, I’ve rededicated my computing needs back to windows. Only a 2-in-1, pencil capable Mac would get me to venture to that dark side again.

Pro 8 - If they could do 13th gen with a slimmer form…maybe

Intel NUC Hades - Any update that brings back the six 4K Monitor support will get my money.

Duo 2 - For a Duo 3 or a Duo Fold. If the DUO line ends up being done, likely a Cheap Samsung Fold 4 or Fold 5 will get my money.

6 Likes

It’s gotten so bad that I have no clue which features that one has. We should start naming iDevices the same way that Friends used to label their episodes. “The one with…”. Looking it up, that would make the 2018 12.9 3rd gen “The one with the A12X and no miniLED”.

5 Likes

I’m looking at the Yogabook i9 dual screen latop.
I have the yogabook c930 and really like it.
Don’t know if I can afford it when they come out,
may have to wait a few months.

Wow, you folks have me way out boughten.
Oh, I have a Hong Kong Rolex knock off dive watch with a manual rotating time bezel and the Date. I don’t have to wind it, but close. Does not hook up to the internet no matter how close I’m to a WiFi

Also, a OneMix 3 foldable tablet PC and one of those things you talk into when it rings…

3 Likes

I usually feel the same way around here. My 2020 MBP was gifted to me, otherwise I’d be on a much cheaper Windows machine most likely. It’s only in the last few years that I’ve actually started spending a little more money on tech now that I work predominately from home.

1 Like

Oh, oh, don’t tell me! I got this…

1 Like

I feel like it would be a good time to replace Fold 3 with the 5 given my worry about folding screen durability. Bonus points if we can stow the pen.

I’ve been using an Asus G14 from 2 years ago. 30 series GPUs didn’t seem to offer much of an upgrade over 20 series. But the 40 series seems like a worthwhile improvement. Superdisplay has been an awesome app, but sometimes I just want to do a quick markup on the screen like in the days of the Samsung 9 or GB12.
So later this year might be the right time for an upgrade, especially if the Asus gaming laptops with MPP have a 40 series GPU.
Or if the new Samsung Ultra can use an S-pen…

1 Like

Current tech
S22U - Replace if there is a trade in that lets me pay 150 or less to upgrade. I got my S22U in an insane BestBuy deal, where I traded in my S21U for -35 dollars and got the next upgrade. It’s mindblowing.
Samsung Notebook 9 - Either it dies, or a 15 inch monitor Wacom EMR enabled beefier PC comes along.

3 Likes

Although a bit different, I’m waiting on a sweetheart deal to trade in my Note 10 for an S23U. I figure Samsung will fire sale the S23Us as soon as the new Fold is out.

Recently “upgraded” to a Pro X, which is already obsolete :roll_eyes:. Waiting and hoping for a next-gen 10" Surface.

3 Likes

I am beginning to think it will be Fall 2023 (iPhone 15 Pro Max) and Spring 2024 (iPad Pro) if developments stay the rumor course. The iPhone looks to get a real telephoto lens, and that generation of the iPad Pro will bring OLED to both screen sizes; an improved MacOS Lite operating system; landscape camera; and a Magic KeyBoard Folio. This would give life to my singularity project…

I keep violating the prime directive of Jim Seymour - The Quest for the Least Computer:

The iPad Pro (M1) is already better at everything tablet and everything photo/video editing than my standard Windows rig. If I am completely honest, and again channeling Jim, all the things he was doing in 1988 with his (our - I had one too) T1000 is the same thing I’m doing now, yet even less powerful versions of Word, excel, and email than I have now in the mobile versions of M365. So I can live easily past the January 2025 extended warranty of the SP8 for “heavy iron” as a desktop replacement, and live the rest of the time towards retirement in two device (well three if you include Apple Watch) bliss.

He never gives up no matter how many times he said he’s giving up…

5 Likes

Well, I don’t think this list has changed too much for me. I still think I want the 11" IPP to replace my 2020 12.9 and I think I’ll be fine with this current iteration. OLED doesn’t really mean anything for me and with my current use case, I think it covers everything I want. Even if they make a MacOS Lite version for the next IPPs, I don’t think it would actually change my workflow, so as much as I would want it if it happens, I’m sure it would be pricier. I’m probably better off with a smaller upgrade.

Anyway, timeline has been pushed back a bit, but I’m keeping my eye out for deals, hopefully to get one closer to $700 for the 128gb version.

1 Like