This is a fascinating way to follow the Reddit Dark Campaign

A future University textbook case of how not to do it.

1 Like

People keep saying this, but I donā€™t see how simply ā€œcommunicating betterā€ a shi**y policy would have changed anything. Dressing it up in corporate speak would not take the sting out of the API fees, and thus the same result of 3rd party apps being forced out.

1 Like

I mean, I still think people wouldnā€™t have liked the policy and may have protested for a couple days, but I donā€™t think itā€™d have had the longer tail itā€™s having now if they werenā€™t giving the awful statements like theyā€™ve been doing. Iā€™d be annoyed either way having had to stop using Sync on my phone, but itā€™s all the garbage coming from the CEO that makes me not want to go back again.

But then on a technical sense, thereā€™s also other solutions they probably also could have incorporated to find a decent compromiseā€¦ like requiring someone to have Reddit Premium to use a third-party app, working with developers to put the ads in the API, etc.

2 Likes

Ok now weā€™re talking, but this is compromise and negotiationā€”which what I think the end goal was regardless of the antics on display by Hoffman.

Better PR might have softened the initial reaction, but seeing as Reddit is committed to a stand-off, weā€™d still be where we are right now.

1 Like