The real barrier to WOA native support at this point (for developers anyway)

From what I am seeing in the benchmark numbers, unfortunately, this Qualcomm processor is more in the league of an A14 though I too would really like an M series killer. I believe the Alder Lake-based Surface Pro 9 might just do that. The numbers I have seen so far indicate nearly double the multicore performance of and some 20% higher single-threaded performance than the current Tiger Lake series that currently powers the Surface Pro 8.

1 Like

Note to self: cancel SLS order. :thinking:

@joes I’ve heard multiple times that there is some basic hardware conflict between pixel sense and OLED’s. Or at least there was. the Duo would seem to put lie to that assertion now

2 Likes

@Hifihedgehog I think I agree with you. I wonder though about putting Alder Lake in the Pro 8 form factor as I think it will once again bring back the thermal and power consumption issues that started to constrict the older Pro design towards the last couple of revs.

That being said, so far at least in our testing, 12th gen has a whole different thermal and power consumption profile, so much so that we are having to redesign a couple of our custom designs that currently use 10th gen core I

1 Like

That’s my A-number 1 concern here. I read an article recently (in quoted post below) demonstrating how Alder Lake was pushed too far on the desktop parts and the way Intel did that was kind of a red herring to the true efficiency of the platform when kept within more sane frequency target curves. I can hope at least that is what we see on the mobile side of things, but you may be seeing smoldering piles of silicon in your custom designs which may destroy any hope of my theory ending up being true.

1 Like

@Hifihedgehog I wish I could invite you to one of our “let’s see if we can kill it” extreme abuse tests we do when updating the platform on some of our custom devices.

We haven’t done it for Alder Lake yet (possibly this spring), but when we did it for the 11th gen chips, we actually had a couple of Intel engineers on hand to watch. Their response was " well that didn’t end well…"

PS: We do have to have fire extinguishers on the ready for those “just in caes” :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:vb-wavey: Pick me, pick me, I can BREAK anything… :vb-wavey:

2 Likes

It looks like Microsoft didn’t go for the kill. Any ideas on who purchases ARM from SoftBank at this point?

Funny you should post this now. We started hearing last week rumors that BBK the Chinese parent company of Oppo and OnePlus among other brands was considering an offer.

That would of course set off regulatory alarm bells here in the US but would also possibly be a way for BBK to avoid some of the supply issues that are blocking Huawei

1 Like

What is the price tag - maybe we could start a GoFundMe page for a bid by our tribe… :rofl:

3 Likes

2 Likes

I’m in for $20 - only $79,999,999,960 to go…

Maybe Satya is good for 4% of MS’ market cap…

2 Likes

If Huawei are (rightly) no bueno, then BBK are too. Especially with recent events.

Not necessarily due to a different structure. They still have access to Qualcomm’s’ chips for instance including the most recent 8cx gen 2 used in the new OnePlus 11 unlike Huawei who doesn’t.

And also unlike Huawei, OnePlus phones are sold in the US currently.

Of course with something like this it could change, and FWIW I think it’s more rumor than truth, but I’ve been surprised before.

Huawei were just more prominent, as I’m sure you know, being involved in far more than just smartphones and other consumers goods. That’s what drew a target on them (rightly, but I digress).

If BBK are considered to be entering that area, then they too will draw a target on their back for sanctions.

And as I understand it, while OnePlus phones are available in the US; they aren’t that readily available.

OnePlus is available in various models on all of the US carriers.

I do agree that if they were to attempt to buy ARM, the level of scrutiny and likely opposition to it would change significantly.

1 Like