MS to drop the proprietary Surface Dock connector for USBC? (The Verge)

From what we hear from our sources this is a matter of when, not if. And the only reason they haven’t already done so is an internal discussion on how to bring unique value(s) to an offering from MS compared to the plethora of 3rd party options.
Microsoft’s next Surface Dock might drop the proprietary connector for USB-C - The Verge

Why in heaven’s name would it have a base connector for a tripod-like stand?

Yeah that seems unlikely. Maybe it’s for hard mounting it to a desk or a presentation podium.

It’s actually available for sale:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/surface-thunderbolt™-4-dock/8X7CGH1N2TB2?ranMID=24542&ranEAID=tv2R4u9rImY&ranSiteID=tv2R4u9rImY-RZBwgkM1WUZeKpOlrqwWng&epi=tv2R4u9rImY-RZBwgkM1WUZeKpOlrqwWng&irgwc=1&OCID=AID2200057_aff_7593_1243925&tduid=(ir__q3x1i6vidwkfbjl36vil9twjbv2x6gr19lx1tamp00)(7593)(1243925)(tv2R4u9rImY-RZBwgkM1WUZeKpOlrqwWng)()&irclickid=_q3x1i6vidwkfbjl36vil9twjbv2x6gr19lx1tamp00&activetab=pivot:overviewtab

1 Like

The Dell dock I have has a similar set of screw holes on the bottom. It turned out to be really convenient for mounting to the bottom of my desk. (Combined with a clever 3d printed design, it works perfectly). I’d imagine it works well for those who want to attach them to the VESA mount of a monitor out of sight as well.

Also, I know my preference here is uncommon, but I hate when docking stations have audio ports. It just always screws up my default audio devices, even after I disable them they come back as defaults sometimes (and my speakers use a built-in USB DAC that’s higher quality than what’s in these docks anyway). Part of why I settled on the Dell one.

1 Like

Something reliable that works as advertised. There. That’s 90% of the accessory market beaten.

I think its important to stress that this isn’t “Surface Dock 3” its “Surface Thunderbolt 4 Dock”

Since there are likely going to be future devices that don’t use Thunderbolt (SE, GO, Laptop Go, AMD & ARM Models, etc) I think there is a good chance Surface Connect still has a long life ahead of it.

While this Dock will still work via USB-C for most devices, it loses dual monitor support to a single monitor. So for devices like a Laptop Go 2 (or 3 if they release it), you would be better off with Dock 2.

The Base connector on the bottom is for an accessory mount that keeps it secure on a table. (with numbered bumps above the ports so your when your fingers reach behind you can tell what port is what.

Both the Dock and its Power Brick are nice and slim, about half that thickness of Dock 2.

Its also worth nothing that all 3 USB-C ports on the Dock support Monitors. While 4K may be limited to 2, I suspect you could do 3 HD or Quad/HD monitors natively.

Also for anyone else as multi-monitor crazed as me…you can use both this TB4 Dock, in conjunction with Surface Dock 2.

I don’t have a 4th 4K monitor to test it, but three 4k would def be possible. And if you add HD monitors into the Mix, it should def be possible.

1 Like

Well I was just able to obtain a Surface Thunderbolt 4 Dock

And for my uses I am quite disappointed in its monitor capabilities.

So this Dock and the Surface Dock 2 can each push Dual 4K Monitors. But unlike Dock 2, the TB4 Dock has technically 3 output ports for video. From my previous usage of other 3rd party docks, what I was hopping was to use both Docks Simultaneously, using Dock 2 to push Dual 4K, and then using the TB4 Dock to push Triple 1080p

Unfortunately, these Docks don’t work so well together. You can use them together but the monitor support is less then expected.

With Dock 2 pushing Dual 4K, The TB4 Dock could only output to a single 1080p…since that single Thunderbolt Port itself can push Dual 4K, I was really hoping it could do triple 1080p…but no.

But then even with the Tipple 1080p monitors connected, Once I disconnected Dock 2, it only opened up a 2nd 1080p monitor.

So the Thunderbolt 4 Dock…speced to Dual 4K, can only output to Dual monitors regardless of the res.

Have more testing to do, but a bit disappointed.

So what you are reporting is exactly what would be expected and has everything to do with the limitations of intel’s XE graphics (integrated) and nothing to do with the docks either dock 2 or TB dock per se.

In other words to do what you are describing (attempting) would require both more PCI control channels and considerably more VRAM than 12th gen Core I XE provide.

For that matter even low to mid range dedicated video cards such as Nividia couldn’t provide that either.

I wouldn’t say that was expected.

With a Startech Dock (with no display link) in Conjunction with the Surface Dock 2, I was able to push Dual 4k and Dual 1080p at 60hrz with the Laptop Studios Native Display. I was expecting the same from the Surface Thunderbolt Dock.

And even when Dock 2 and the 4K monitors were disconnect, and only using the Thunderbolt 4 Dock with the 1080, it still maxed at just two 1080’s. The System itself could easily handle a 3rd 1080, and since the TB4 Dock has 3 outports, I was hoping it would at least do that.

I find with 1080p, you can definitely exceed certain limits. And if you add in every workaround, you can make some pretty insane systems. My current Cubical set up using Display Link, An Android Tablet Super Displayed, and a Hub 2S 50 Miracasted, I was able to get 9 displays recognized and it was quite useable (for office tasks anyway). My Hades Canyon and its Vega Graphics Chip that handles 6 x4K/60hrz has really spoiled me rotten. I refuse to accept monitor limits.