Microsoft Surface Pro X

I always wanted to have a business card printed up that said “Have briefcase will travel” with the Paladin on it.

I loved that show. It was probably my favorite western series.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I forgot that I’m only on Visio 2019 and Project 2019, not 2021. I suppose it’s possible that something has changed, but I’ve seen other people complaining about it in Feedback too so I tend to doubt it? But yeah you can clearly see the difference between Word (365) and Visio 2019 here.

Oi, Nutella is unequivocally good and literal ambrosia. Don’t go slandering its name by associating it with a CEO!

1 Like

We haven’t gotten it yet, but we will be getting one of these. I don’t know how much I’ll actually be able to say however as the NDA is one of the strictest I’ve seen in a good while.

1 Like

OMG, according to Ben Love’s quote of materials from BUILD, Microsoft has fully slipped into Apple la la land (I told you guys that it is ALL driven by Apple-envy):

“We are building toward our vision for a world of intelligent hybrid compute, bringing together local compute on the CPU, GPU, and NPU and cloud compute with Azure. In the future, moving compute workloads between client and cloud will be as dynamic and seamless as moving between Wi-Fi and cellular on your phone today. Increasingly, magical experiences powered by AI will require enormous levels of processing power beyond the capabilities of traditional CPU and GPU alone. But new silicon like neural processing units (NPUs) will add expanded capacity for key AI workloads.”

2 Likes

More like frustrating experiences when the device does a decent dictation, say, a text then as you hit SEND it replaces it with a revised cloud interpretation that mangles the whole thing. :anger: /pet peeve

I have to switch to keyboard input first, look at the final dictation, then edit the cloud “AI” errors.

Edit: my Apple watch actually does a lot better on dictation. I don’t think it does the cloud revision.

2 Likes

Flowery language aside, he’s right about one thing, NPUs are going to be a big thing in the near future as a way to provide new functionality to PCs especially as on the X86 side, performance gains are going to be in small increments from now on.

Computational photography is just the first out of the gate, but expect to start hearing about “real time adaptive user interfaces”. One demo I saw last year was a system who’s hardware was sort of a surface clone, but running a custom build of Linux.

Utilizing a NPU the device real time adjusted the UI from desktop to tablet as you brought your finger closer to the screen

1 Like

3 Likes

I just got a brydge spx for my pro x and this thing makes an amazingly slim little laptop set up, well balanced on my lap. I think this is the best all worlds - laptop with removable top like the surfacebook, but it has a kickstand when it’s out. Also, super slim, fanless, built in cellular. Emulation has come so far. I’m on the lowest end 8GM RAM 1st gen pro x and sims 4 now runs quite well in 64 bit emulation. If the rumors of a smaller next gen are true, I will be highly tempted.

4 Likes

Yeah MS has taken a lot of bashing including from me about the Pro X, but they have been steadily improving it, though perhaps not as quickly as many would like.

One major change via Windows 11 is that 64 bit emulation is actually significantly faster than the older 32 bit (though it does little for graphics)

I’d be curious to get your longer term impressions of the Brydge keyboard. I like the design and they supposedly fix the one issue that was a problem with the first version which was a tendency to scratch the Pro X with regular insertion/removal from it.

2 Likes

Like these experiences?

I never watch Ignite so I had no idea it was getting so psychedelic. Paul Thurrott aptly wondered, “what is this, a business meeting in Mordor?” Leo: “what are we even watching here?” This goes way beyond Apple envy.

So much for Hololens. The guy in charge, the long haired sunglasses guy in the… Burning Man wannabe thing… has been canned (s-e-x harassment allegations too), the team split in two and sent off to separate parts of Microsoft.

Anyway, to bring this into topic, if this is the kind of stuff that’s going on inside Microsoft I can’t wonder why Surface Pro X has been floundering. Such a shame.

2 Likes

I have a skin on the back and a screen protector on the front. I do not remove it gently and I have to really shove to get it back in, so we’ll see how it all holds up.

1 Like

I kept looking around for Clive Barker when I see that Kipman character…

I had a Brydge keyboard for my iPad mini 5 and was very impressed with the quality. They make good stuff.

IMAGINE THIS

WITH THIS

AND

AMOLED
16gb ram
1tb ssd
DeX
FULL Google Android tablet support…

Wipe the drool off your faces guys!

3 Likes

With the Go4 potentially going to a 3rd generation 8cx that will perform at 70% the speed of the Apple M1 and 2x the current battery life (pun intended), my tablet/notebook issues are resolved for another two years or so. It’s the replacement for my Note 10 that perplexes me. I would love a fold, but, without a siloed pen, I would be drawn to the S22 Ultra or its successor instead. But, damn, the folding screen would be just so exquisite.

2 Likes

:scream:

1 Like

Despite my new love for Apple-traz, I wonder had I not had the bypass last year if I’d have stayed the course with the Fold 3. It is that beautiful, despite the janky case you need to carry the S Pen. Samsung could EASILY solve that (not perfectly - easily) by building a stick S Pen for the Fold and slip it in the slightly larger frame of a full body case - frankly I think a case is a necessity on that heavy iron anyway. That, and SG4, would make you the king of the hill old buddy.

Well, be sure to add TB4 support to your SG4 posts…

3 Likes

That’s right old buddy - MS ain’t ever going to win, place, or show in the tablet app game, but with seamless integration of full Google Android tablet apps (not the cheesy picked over Amazon library) they could even pull ahead of pure Android tablet plays into second place…

1 Like

So, I think it’s either going to be Windows on ARM with Android apps, or straight up Android with Dex acting like windows with better app support. Either way, you end up nearly the same place, just from a different company with different pen protocols.

I’d definitely prefer it be Samsung with spen, but it seems their windows efforts are entirely 360 folding laptops now and their tablet efforts are fully Android with Dex mode. If you want spen and a tablet, it’s probably going to be Android. If you want windows, you’re going to have to hope microsoft isn’t going to abandon the idea 2 generations in.

I have my kids on samsung tablets now (thanks @dstrauss) partially because I was sick of having to keep pens charged for them and I have enough wacom pens floating around to have several cheap plastic spares. Of course, we then just got a SLS for RTX gaming and recording (thanks @Dellaster).

For myself also, I’d like to have one pen to rule them all and I’d prefer it be an spen, hence my adventure into Dex, also, I have a few Boox devices, including the big one for sheet music and those are all spen compatible too. I tried going all surfacey with the slim pen for everything, but there were too many drawbacks to the Duo vs the zFold. However, my Pro X is back in the top spot as my favorite daily machine with the brydge keyboard.

6 Likes