Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio

Yeah, that’s what I’ve been saying since I got the thing and discovered the battery management heart. So easy to add! I suspect it’s a pride thing, that an individual or group think they made it smart enough for anyone’s needs and they refuse to downgrade their masterpiece.

1 Like

The Surface app actually has that now, see my post from three days ago. What it does not have is a “re-enable smart charging” button.

1 Like

thanks, only took the briefest of looks… in other words I just wanted to make sure they didn’t break it for me with the update

Whoops, I misread the post.

2 Likes

just an observation.

when did tablets and laptops become hand warmers and toasters.

i was using the laptop studio, and ran a few programs that did some encoding and audio conversions
with the GPU

all of a sudden the front part near the trackpads and vents heated up very quickly and stayed warm the whole time.

i wasn’t resting my palms on it, but it got hot.

all of my previous tablets, and surface machines of course never had this problem (no GPUs),
but had fans, and got slightly warmer.

is that the trade off for GPUs, will they always get hot no matter how little they are used.

never thought i have to deal with that issue.
(similar thing with a new desktop i got with a rtx3090,
thing gives off a ton of heat even for the most minor programs).

later

I have been able to heat up my fanless Go at times. I think I posted temperatures right below thermal limits for the CPU and IGPU. Granted the integrated GPUs do not heat up like dedicated ones, but they can still generate some heat when pushed to their limits.

1 Like

when did tablets and laptops become hand warmers and toasters.

When haven’t they been?

Your average laptop from prior to 2010 would sound like a hair dryer in comparison to today’s offering.

Anyone remember the HP TX2. Even early tablets like my Asus Ep121 back in the day got uncomfortable warm and loud. The Cintiq Companion 2 from 2015-era even practically had its own throne in thermal hell.

3 Likes

@darkmagistric ahh the HP TX2. My then very young son was playing with it and my wife noticed bright red marks on his legs from the heat that thing gave off. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

We have come a long way indeed

4 Likes

Over on reddit a user posted an image of a heavily abused display SLS at Best Buy, showing black streaks along the sides of the palm rest.

My unit actually has faint marks in these locations. Turns out the underside of the screen edge has two black metallic pieces (the magnets?) that stick out slightly, and it looks like those can leave marks if you slide the screen back and forth across the palm rest when switching modes. Shouldn’t be a big problem for most users, but still a good reminder to be careful.

In my case I think it happens because I sometimes annotate with the screen slightly lifted (holding my hand under it) for a better writing angle. In that position it can obviously slide back and forth a bit, possibly leaving marks.

2 Likes

Should probably file this under somewhere else,
but i was syncing my windows phone to the studio (win 10),
and the ZUNE software still worked. excellent.

later

3 Likes

Anyone else have trouble with their screen not folding flat in “Studio Mode” (Tablet mode)
Mine does it, but its almost like the fabric is too taught, so the magnets don’t hold it down and it bounces back up and floats about 3/4 an inch off of where it should be unless I rest my arm or fingers on it. I thought it would just break in, as I’ve seen other laptop studios that do lay flat and hold with the magnets just fine. but now a few weeks into this unit and it isn’t staying down. Normally I might seek a replacement as it is mildly annoying; but i’m reluctant since A) I don’t want the hassle, B)I’ve also added a 2TB ssd and a skin on the device… and C) I don’t use it flat very often.

I’m wondering if anyone else has seen this or had theirs wear in and work correctly after a bit… I’m debating putting a heavy book on it overnight to see if it will stretch that fabric out a bit and start working correctly.

No such issue with mine and a quick internet search didn’t bring it up, so it must be rare or possibly unique. Sorry, no ideas here.

1 Like

Gotta love low battery warnings like these… :smiley:

Maybe a stupid question, but did your skin include the back of the display?

I got a skin to hide some scratch marks on the keyboard deck, it came with two pieces for the display back too. After adding only one piece, i found it was enough to not allow the display to fold all the way down anymore so i removed that.
I imagine if I added both it would’ve stuck up quite a bit if used in tablet mode

Not a stupid question at all… and I think you’re probably right, it already had issues laying flat and now I can see looking closely the skin isn’t helping anything. It’s too bad the tolerances are too tight… the other SLS in my household has a skin working just fine;
On this subject, I did leave it in tablet mode with a book on it to see if it would stay flat and yes it did help a bit and it was laying completely open on its own, but folding back up to notebook position and then going back it still is a bit too stiff, maybe ill leave it overnight held open for a few more nights, if it just isn’t working I’ll have to take my skin off.

Thanks for mentioning this I wasn’t even thinking about the skin being a contributing factor!

New firmware update available for the SLS: Surface Laptop Studio update history - Microsoft Support

This update:

• Improves system graphics stability and enables Dynamic Refresh rate for Windows 11.
  • Improves touch experience
  • Improves performance and stability of Surface Dock and Pen.

Hoping the graphics stability improvement includes actually sending HDMI signal to my Dell monitor after extended sleep. Although tbh I’m not sure whether to blame the monitor, Win11, the SLS, or my ole ThinkPad TB3 dock.

3 Likes

Similar one for the pro 8. We think it fixes a bug with changing display resolution more than once with out a restart in between. Prior to this, you could usually scramble the display if you did it more than once.

The fix for the surface dock was a bug where connecting it to Pro or SLS would sometimes result in it not charging the battery without a restart of the system.

We haven’t found what it fixes on the pen yet, but I hope it fixes a couple of extreme edge of the display issues we’ve seen where palm rejection overrides pen input.

1 Like

@JoeS you might want to check the CEC setting on your Dell display, specifically turning it off. We have seen similar issues with a couple of Thinkpads and Dell displays.

2 Likes

Stepped through the menu’s, I don’t see CEC, just “DDC/CI”. Is CEC power management? If so, that doesn’t seem to be the problem. The monitor turns back on, but then claims that there’s no signal over HDMI. Unplugging and reconnecting the TB3 dock fixes it.

CEC is a control protocol and is related to power management. The most common application is with TVs and something like a blue ray player where if you power on the blu ray player it turns on the TV and switches it to the HDMI input needed.

Another possibility and a lot of people ignore me when I first suggest it, but you might try swapping HDMI cables. They are to put it mildly, highly variable in quality. And FWIW with my own guys if they are troubleshooting video issues, the first thing we do is swap in a known good cable. About 66% of the time, the cable fixes it.

PS. Is that a thinkpad dock? I don’t have it front of me but I think there is a sleep and or power save mode with the dock that could be getting in the way

2 Likes