iPad mini 6 Tablet

I hadn’t tried any of the Samsung stuff. Surprised you like Slim Pen 2 better. I’ve heard good things, but I hadn’t heard better yet. Makes me want to go test one.

1 Like

It might be a YMMV thing. With the Slim Pen 2 I like the feel in my hand of the carpenter pencil shape and also the feel on glass as I’m drawing—even with 3rd party tips and mildly paper feel screen protector the Pencil 2 can’t quite match it, to my taste. Quality of inking is comparable, I think.

3 Likes

I like inking on my Boox so much, it is becoming my go-to note taker. I currently have it 35% full in less than a year. The only things I don’t use it for anymore are annotation (for obvious reasons) and jotting quick notes, which has been completely usurped by my Galaxy Note 10. Annotation and signing of documents, hand-written changes or comments to PDF’s are about the only things I still do with a pen on the Go2.

2 Likes

James - I agree with Ted. I prefer the Slim Pen 2 to the Apple Pencil 2, even with @Bishop 's improved pen nibs. It’s the feel of the pen on glass that is better to me, and I think the flat pen shape helps with my hand control.

2 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Microsoft Surface Pro 8

There are a whole load of them available for cheap on Amazon Japan.

I think Fujitsu still sell pretty much the same device for the same astronomical amounts.

@Tams - whoa, I thought those things were long gone.The Q584 was announced a decade ago! :astonished:

I use my pen solely for art. I’m not a huge fan of the slim pen design for that purpose. I tested one out in store on the SPX and as far as hand feel, it was just OK for my use. Granted, the 2nd gen might feel better.

I do agree, even with a good matte screen protector, the AP2 isn’t quite right for the amount of drag it gives you. I haven’t tried a pen tip yet, might try that to see if it improves enough.

Nor I, when drawing, but it’s preferable to the Pencil 2. The latter isn’t comfortable for any kind of use for me, though it has improved since the first Pencil (which I hated). I have a Slickwraps skin on order that might make it less slippery in hand. We’ll see.

Neither is as good as my ZBook X2 EMR pen with grey nibs on my Galaxy Book 12. But the gap has closed a lot in recent years and the Slim Pen 2 totally surprised me by how good it is now. I never liked any Surface stylus before, not even the EMR one on my SP2.

Old business ones being sold off. Although more of them are of the later models with lower res displays (not that the high res of the original made much sense).

I remember a Fujitsu advert that specifically was selling them as POS devices.

Assume that is “point of sale” and not “piece of ****” - correct?

1 Like

Haha, yes, of course! Funny how one word can change meaning. :wink:

And many of us were salivating over the device years ago.

@Bishop and @Dellaster - I am beginning to get a new found appreciation for the iPM6. It truly is a great e-reader (Kindle is so lame in the browser); Apple News+ wipes the floor with Google News, MS News, Readly, etc.; and very good for other media (my streaming hands are less strained by the tiny beast). BUT if I do feel the need for the big(ger) iron, it’s SP8 all the way - I rarely carry both the SP8 and iPM6.

2 Likes

My Mini 6 is WiFi only but even here in the backwoods got a pretty good 149 down and 24 up on the tether to my 5g iPhon13 Pro. A lot better than the prior 4g.

1 Like

Ok. I really like the concept of this clamshell/keyboard/trackpad for iPM6. It feels good to hold and carry.

But I’m “dstraussing” it. (:astonished: @dstrauss). The hinge is so tight the iPM6 has actually popped out while trying to open it. There’s also something strange going on with the keyboard. In multi-paragraph text blocks, the insertion point will suddenly jump up several lines. If you type at speed, you’ve got a mess before you realize it. I even tried hunt and peck to make sure I wasn’t accidentally touching/brushing the trackpad. Same behavior.

1 Like

I can’t tell yet if I’m forcing myself or it’s for real, but I almost instinctively grab the SP8 over the iPM6 this past week. The iPM6 has been gathering dust in my bag except for the couple of times I read Apple News+. Even my iPhone 13 Pro has replaced it for FaceTime, iMessage, email triage - you name it. The iPM6 is everything I said it is earlier this week, but it is just not working its way into the workflow for some reason, and that’s where I say I’m not sure if the SP8 is working its way in, or I’m just forcing the issue.

Weird… :person_shrugging:

The new shiny of the SP8 might need to wear out a bit or maybe an 8 inch device isn’t necessary for your day to day. Time will tell.

It is the opposite for me. I only use the phone on the go or if I actually have a phone call. And, of course, it’s my cellular base station for hotspot, fueling everything else. I wish my iPhone SE 2016 had 5G, a better antenna (it’s way worse than the iPhone Pro 13), and a modern camera cluster. I would switch back to that in a moment.

1 Like

The “shiny” is still going strong, but I am taking to the iPM6 more over the last couple of days. I still wonder if it a necessity though, but I do have to admit I go back to it quite often for News+ and even bedtime surfing.

PS - looking at the iPM6 in landscape and I keep thinking “If only this had a folding screen in portrait orientation - the perfect iPhone!”

3 Likes

Hm, I took hold of my Pencil 2 and the tip wasn’t there. Found it on the couch but it wouldn’t reattach—part of it was still deep inside the Pencil. After many trials I got it out with a sewing needle, screwed on a new nib, and it seems none the worse for the experience. :crossed_fingers:

But now I wonder if these “paper-like” nibs might be weak and easily broken like that. Something to keep an eye on I guess. I put the original nib back on for now. It actually feels pretty good with the lightly paperlike screen protector I’m using.

1 Like