Has anyone tried connecting a wacom screen tablet to a Steam Deck to do work?

I have a really old PC and I’ll need to get a proper replacement eventually… but for now, I’m really interested in a makeshift device while I save up for a beefier laptop.

I’ve always been really excited about the steam deck and I was going to get it anyways… after a laptop replacement. and maybe a PS5. but if it can actually work as a proper makeshift linux PC, and work with my cintiq pro 24, it shoots to the top of my priorities as I would like to work as well as game.

Being able to do both in a single ultra portable device would be absolute heaven… so!

Has anyone actually tried this? how was the experience?

1 Like

Hard to get a hold of a Steam Deck as it is, but a Cintiq Pro 24 should work fine as Steam OS is just Linux.

2 Likes

ayyyeeeee how you doing man??

siiiggghhh I suppose you’re right. Hopefully their production speed has really increased and more people will get theirs delivered even sooner.

it has potential to shoot straight to the top of my must-own gadget of the year.

Well, Steam OS is just a Linux distro. There’s a desktop environment for it.

Cintiqs work fine on Linux these days as far as I know and Krita is a pretty great art program available on Linux.

As for Steam Deck availability, I don’t see it getting better any time soon. If you want something, well, there’s AYA and GPD, but they are more expensive. You can actually get them though.

I have, and it works well! Windows and Linux. Cintiq 16 pro worked great… But I decided that having to plug in the cintiq to the wall was a deal breaker. Going for Huion Kamvas 16 studio instead.

2 Likes

Fantastic!

This makes me so happy to see. I guess my next PC is definitely a Steam Deck.

If you install Windows on the Steam Deck and have an iPad, you can buy EasyCanvas Pro for around $8 usd and tether your iPad to the steam deck via Wi-Fi or a single usb cable. Drawing apps work fluidly and fantastically (did on my iPad Pro) with the exception of not having a right click in certain apps with the Apple Pencil. If you really need a drawing tablet to pair with the steam deck you could use a standard usb Wacom tablet. Not sure I would ever buy another Wacom Cintiq again as Huion has come along with cheaper EMR tablets that do the exact same thing now. Good luck!

1 Like

sounds dope - I’ll give those other options a try if I get one

personally I already have a Cintiq (was lucky enough to get it as a gift), so I was wondering if I could just use the native linux settings and still do good work with art programs on my tablet.

you’re saying you’ve been able to do this as well, without having to install windows?

Yep. Run Krita right in SteamOS… Your cintiq will work no prob

1 Like

have you been able to try the same specifically with Clip Studio Paint on LinuxOS?

No, but if other people report that it works in Linux, there’s no reason it wouldn’t work on the steam Deck with a connected Cintiq.

This is fair. Thank you!