Device(s) you want or covet but can't quite bring yourself to pull the trigger on.?

:+1: :+1:

2 Likes

The latest addition to my list though more tablet adjacent than our general topics.

Besides it being very cool looking and Teenage Engineerings overall reputation for very high quality products, I have a great fondness for what is the essentially the latest evolution of the portable tape recorder.

Early in my career I worked very briefly for Sony in their commercial/business products group specifically the high end cassette based dictation and field recording devices.

I have a peer that has contacts with Teenage engineering and am hoping to angle at least an extended demo
Teenage Engineering’s TP-7 field recorder costs an eye-watering $1,499 | Engadget

2 Likes

Despite having the ordering window open for a few weeks, I couldn’t pull the trigger on the Tab Ultra C. But now that early reviews are gushing over it, when pre-orders opened again yesterday, I got one. It should ship on the 24th.

4 Likes

Couldn’t even order one on the UK site. Grrrr.

Latest addition to my list. If I won the lottery I’d replace my Kobo Elipsa with it.

We tested one of these for a customer this week and overall it performed admirably even though battery life was a bit weak likely due to the OLED windows side.

I’m glad that Lenovo continues to iterate on this, but OTOH they seem to be heading toward the top end of the market. That being said, unlike previous iterations, this one feels truly in the Thinkpad/Thinkbook ethos in terms of quality build.

Lenovo ThinkBook Plus Twist Gen 4 convertible review: E-Ink and OLED hybrid - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

2 Likes

Both screens retain stylus support, according to early previews:

The e-paper display is full color, unlike the average e-reader, and also backlit for use in low-light environments…the choppy 12Hz refresh rate makes it feel sluggish, it’s surprisingly functional and fine for writing or drawing, since the Lenovo Smart Paper has stylus support too).

Since the main display is a 13.3-inch 2.8K OLED panel with full touch and stylus support

Did you get a chance to confirm if both were still using Wacom AES 2.0 (appears to be still using the Lenovo Digital Pen 2). Any noticeable improvement to pen latency on the Windows environment? (eg. Lisa’s demo @~1:30)

3 Likes

Unfortunately both I and my pen expert were on the road and did not get to participate in the testing.

Typically we don’t do in depth pen testing unless the customer specifically requests it and/or either of us wants to invest the time (over 6.5 hours for the full suite).

The customer in this case was most concerned about WIFI and bluetooth performance, as it was somewhat problematic in prior versions.

That all said, my engineer as part of the tests does attempt to collect a full set of specs from the manufacturer and Lenovo told him AES 2.0 for the OLED but that pen was not supported for the e-ink display, only touch, though of course that would not preclude using a capacitive stylus on the e-ink side.

Two other notes.

One the OLED display is among the top we’ve tested especially in accuracy; and color e-ink still has a long way to go IMHO to be possible to use as full time display under windows (though this is arguably the best yet, but that’s a pretty low bar to clear)

2 Likes

Let me add a device I can’t bring myself to pull the trigger on. “A gaming PC”. I’ve been using my X1 Yoga 3rd gen (i7-8650U) with GTX1070 eGPU which is fine for modded Skyrim VR, but doesn’t quite cut it for the badly optimized No Man’s Sky. The main thing holding me back is figuring out the right balance between price an performance, and deciding prebuilt or custom build.

Haha, what are the odds, this is what I run into one minute later:

2 Likes

I recommend custom, if only because I’ve never done prebuilt =P

Used eBay (or other) GPUs are a good option too from a bang/buck perspective. The used supply is pretty high because of bitcoin mining. I almost went that route with my current build, but then decided I wanted DLSS 3. So far I’m not impressed with DLSS 3 though. I have found the interpolation artifacts pretty noticeable in the games I’ve tried it in. However, I’m really happy with the performance of DLSS super resolution (which you can get on 30 series cards).

3 Likes

Ok that’s weird, in this video it shows that the pen does register on the e-ink screen (@~10:18)

And the reviewer makes no mention of the pen being limited to the OLED side.

P.S. The device is lookin’ pretty sleek!

2 Likes

@Marty I’m going to send you a bill for services… :slight_smile:

Like I said In my initial response we didn’t do full pen tests. However based on a couple of data points, I suspect that it’s using AES on the OLED side and MPP on the e-ink side.

That’s based on the fact that the refresh rate on the e-ink side is only about 12hz which would be incompatible with the AES spec but not MPP and that the supplied precision pen supports both protocols.

“P.S. The device is lookin’ pretty sleek!”

Like I also said, they definitely improved the overall build level in this iteration.

5 Likes

I still keep eyeing a Raytrektab 8" tablet with EMR…

After all this fiddling around with a Fold 3, Superdisplay, Asus MPP, Xreal glasses and on and on, I keep thinking about how “just right” the Asus Vivotab Note 8 felt with “old” EMR. And I could run window apps on it such as Sketchbook, Clip Studio, and Blender (sort of).

4 Likes

latest addition to my list.

Totally impractical as I would have to destroy my current living room and at least one bedroom to create a room to house it, but OTOH If I had one, I’d never need/want to go to a theater again.

And seriously, this is extremely impressive, cutting edge display tech.

110-inch Hisense 110UX TV suggests we could all be going super-large in 2024 (msn.com)

4 Likes

We seriously considered an 85" unit when we replaced our TV in the family room. We realized that it just wouldnt fit in our home as currently configured. Even at that, we would have to extend the room to get far enough away from the screen to take it all in. 65" worked perfectly.

2 Likes

We have a projector in our living room that we project on the largest wall. I think it’s around 150" or so. Might even be 200" diagonal. We only set it up on Friday nights for family movie night, but it’s pretty fun, like going to the movies. It’s not as clear as an Ultra HD screen, but the experience is still pretty great. At the same time, I can’t imagine having that large of a screen on that wall All the time.

2 Likes

Not since my old Blackberry Curve have I had such a hard time giving up a device. Verizon had incredible deals on the S23 Ultra and Fold 5. On the other hand, my LTE Note 10 is no longer receiving Android updates and will run out of verizon security updates at the end of this year. By all measures, I should be “upgrading.” But, I find it had to give up this phone for either the larger candy bar S23U or the Fold. Both are imperfect in their own way. The S23U is too big. The Fold, well, it’s an entirely different paradigm of a phone. I absolutely love the size and weight of my phone and find it hard to give up. You would have thought I’d have learned my lesson about getting attached to tech with my Blackberry.

3 Likes

I don’t have 15’ of straight wall anywhere in my house to accommodate a 200" diagonal screen.

2 Likes

We don’t have all that large of a house, but our living room is fairly open concept with two long walls on opposite sides of each other. Makes it easy to do. We also will sometimes do summer evening movies on the driveway and project onto our garage door. It’s obviously got issues with the bumps in the garage, but it’s also a really fun experience for the kids. Occasionally we’ll get neighbors to stop by, but most don’t stay for the whole movie.

Ironically, I find the S23U to be not quite big enough. Or at least, not the right type of big. I want a squatter aspect ratio on a large screen to make thumb typing easier on the keyboard. It’s the thing I miss about my Huawei Mate 20X the most. Moving to the Pixel 7a this year has been hard. I am constantly missing the keys I want. I am still very tempted to upgrade to the S23U anyway. It’s bigger than what I have and should be an improvement, and is really cheap purchasing through Google Fi.

2 Likes

Latest device to my list, with a twist. I actually pulled the trigger on this one due to a combination of an unexpected year end bonus and a discounted price through our corporate parent.

While it probably wouldn’t meet @Hifihedgehog standards for absolute quality, this is by far the best sounding bluetooth/WIFI speaker I have heard.

It does a great job with it’s APTX support and I also think it’s beautiful piece of tech in it’s own right. (with the caveat that McIntosh amps aesthetics have always appealed to me).

I test audio gear for a living — and this $1,200 Bluetooth speaker just blew me away | Tom’s Guide (tomsguide.com)

3 Likes

My ears ain’t good enough for that bad boy…

1 Like