Device(s) you want or covet but can't quite bring yourself to pull the trigger on.?

Particularly the following subsection (Minority Report run amuck):

Big tech gets closer to actively killing people

1 Like

That’s actually the part I have the most trouble taking seriously. From at least the invention of gunpowder, “technology” has always been used to kill people more efficiently whether it’s from a greater distance or in larger numbers.

After all an AR15 is as much a technology “achievement” as anything he mentions

2 Likes

May I suggest shaped flint points/blades?

1 Like

And of course Kubrick had it right, from way back when

Thus Spoke Zarathustra - Opening Scene of 2001 A Space Odyssey - Bing video

2 Likes

YES. Sadly, another once almost universal cultural touchpoint lost in the mist of TikTok and Instagram…

BTW, wonderful anthropological distinction between using tools (picking up a club-like implement) and manufacturing tools (knives and spears).

2 Likes

Indeed, one of my college computer science professors started his intro class with a discussion of what a “tool” was and the important distinctions therein.

And side tracks like this one are one of the reasons I love this place :slight_smile:

3 Likes

+1

So back on topic if I may… :slight_smile: These look pretty appealing!

1 Like

Yeah they are hopefully going to be showing them at CES. The panels themselves are supposed to be essentially miniLED gen 1.5. It doesn’t mention it here, but they should have significantly improved response times especially GTG and a better “base black” level even though the overall contrast takes a slight hit (but perceptually they should actually look better, though still not quite to the level of IPS black panels)

So, we needed printer toner, like today, which resulted in a trip to BBY. I’ve been eyeing the little lenovo chromebook tablets as they keep going on sale, but never pulled the trigger because I already have a nice Samsung tablet and it’s basically the same thing but slower with a pen you have to charge. But I’m still drawn to them. I played with them in person today and definitely would get one for the right price. But retail is not that price, so I’ll keep my eyes on the open box deals.

Anyway, I have several classic thinkpads sitting in a closet, several of which are now running Chrome OS Flex if I want to play with ChromeOS. But I’ve gotten out of a lot of the Google system, so I keep talking myself out of the chrome tablets.

Heh, the target keeps moving as tech improves. Even if all the current wants and desires on this board were satisfied I bet folks would discover new things that are lacking. Well, not people like @Bronsky et al, but still. :wink:

And yes, I include myself among the never-satisfied. Every time I think I’m all set something disturbs the “perfection”.

3 Likes

I just realized thanks to another thread that Nreal Airs are on my “I’d love to try it but can’t justify it” list.

3 Likes

I’ve resisted getting wireless earbuds for the longest time. I just, for some reason, feel more secure when something is physically plugged in. And it’s one less item to charge all the time.

So speaking of the NReal Air, since it takes up the phone’s USBC port, I got a pair of Sennheiser buds because of it’s reviews of both sound quality and call quality.

Also, if it helps your hesitance, there are reports that the NReal Air’s ribbon connectors at the hinge are failing…to the point that users are minimizing the amount of times they fold the glasses. Or they keep them unfolded at all times. Perhaps wait for next version?

2 Likes

I had been using bluetooth earbuds for years and found them convenient, until one day I forgot mine at home and borrowed a corded one from my co- worker, just to realize my phone no longer had a headphone jack.

Bluetooth ear pieces are just terrible when it come with sharing. Pair and unpair is tedious, and no one want your borrower to accidentally hear what you are listening to. The ones with the capability to pair with multiple devices are expensive enough that people would be uncomfortable to lend other ( and the risk of them overhearing things you don’t want them to hear still stand).

Corded earbuds are just convenient, they are cheap enough you could have a spare one anywhere, and once you unplug there’s no longer any string attached ( pun intended). It’s just sad that it’s increasingly disappearing, not just on flagship but even recent mid ranges.

Edit: I remembered that time our office recommended each other the same branch of affordable Chinese earbud. They were fine at first, but once we all use ours in close proximity, the earbuds was accidentally cross-paired to the wrong devices, and we would accidentally overhear each other. Never used the same branch as others in the same office again. :joy:

4 Likes

I still have a pair of earbuds with a 3.5mm jack in my manbag at all times. Sadly they do now have a USB C wart attached to them if I want to use them with my phone.

The only small USB C adapter I could find sounds okay, but there’s occasional hissing and popping. Not to mention not being able to charge said device at the same time.

I do use wireless earbuds and headphones. They are nice for everyday use and it’s better not having a cable dangling around. This is especially so for exercise, but also cooking, ironing, etc. But they are also yet more devices to charge and maintain. In fact, both my exercise and casual wireless earbuds have almost unusable battery life now and need replacing. What a waste.

My manbag wired earbuds on the other hand, are approaching 10 years old now.

3 Likes

I have a corded in ear Bose that give the best sound quality of any earpiece, until you start attaching different adapters (Lightning, USB-C) and then they fade. Really prefer them over my new standard Beats Pro, but at least the Beats can switch between my iPhone, iPad, and previous MBP without user intervention - pairing/unpairing/pairing is a majoe league PITA!

Recently picked up a pair of bone conduction earphones. Didn’t know there was anything like that until I stumbled upon a discount offer on my Amazon Japan page. So, my question is what are some pros and cons of this type? Any warnings? I personally don’t like those in-ear buds, they make me very uncomfortable, plus I hate to lose cognizance of my environment with all that noise cancellation BS

I got a pair over a year ago and haven’t stuck buds in my ears since. I wear them all the time walking and cycling. They don’t interfere with my glasses or bike helmet.

The con is that they won’t make an audiophile as happy as buds would, though I’m not disappointed at all with the performance in that area, considering what they are. Pros are comfort and ability to hear external sounds like your footsteps or someone saying hello. Being able to detect things like the soft noise of bicycle tires as you’re about to be passed is a big plus. They’ve worked well as a headset when getting a phone call on the trail.

Not good for laying in bed due to the stiff connector that goes behind your head. But I generally go for audiophilia indoors with over-the ear ANC headphones.

7 Likes

Awesome! Can definitely relate to those pros and cons. Happy with the purchase.

They’re great.

I just wish that Shokz would release a version that has built-in storage and is IP68, as well as having Bluetooth. Currently they have the IP68 model with built-in storage but no Bluetooth, and a Bluetooth model with IP55 and no built-in storage.

So they currently can’t replace the Sony in-ears that I have that cover all my sporting wants, despite being a bit uncomfortable and the pass-through audio only being serviceable (don’t run with them on when it’s windy).

1 Like