Device Pet Peeves or Annoyances

Let me just add to the derailment with this MS whiteboard peeve .
Used the previous version frequently in my lessons and just last week tried the updated version. What a hot mess! Kept shutting down, huge lag, and worst of all, eraser would erase an entire line not horizontally but vertically or diagonally. Whoever released that product has no business in tech or whatever it is they do.

No back to devices!

2 Likes

Yeah, sorry, redo.

1 Like

Not to mention insisting on being online.

1 Like

Yes. This was a PITA.

To tag onto @darkmagistric with ports. The lack of back facing ports on just all devices.

Silos. Why are silos such a rare commodity.
At least much of the Thinkpad Yoga line still have a silo’d pen. It’s good to have choice for a larger pen as needed, but the ability to have a grab and go device with one embedded into the system is so convenient.
I don’t know if the landscape has changed much for it, but there needs to be more.

Also just every Windows update stuffing up so many settings I have in a bunch of software.
I’ve gone as far as disabling a lot of registry files to ensure it stops breaking functionality in some software.

That 16:9 still exists. 16:10 needs to be more standardised for portable devices at least.
Writing on a 16:9 Thinkpad TPC isn’t ideal. Thankfully newer models appear to be moving into the larger display ratio.

There’s a bunch of other things I’d love to rant about, but this is just the immediate that come to mind.

5 Likes

For the first time since I owned a Note (Note 5), I was without my S-Pen for a day. I had left it on the bedstand after jotting a quick note. I was lost. It confirmed my committment to a siloed pen on my phone and some form of built-in cradle for a pen on my tablet.

Looking at Tam’s set up, I wonder why I never went with the Samsung Galaxy Book 10.6. It has M3 power like the Go and an S-Pen.

2 Likes

I like my setup, but it often runs slow and gets toasty. I don’t know how much is because of the 4GB of RAM (I suspect a bit), the M3 (yes, but not really compared to a Go), or the storage which I think is the culprit.

The SPen is lovely, if hampered by the poor performance and Samsung’s meddling with the drivers. The pen holder lasted about a month before the adhesive gave way. Not that I use the included stylus much at all.

1 Like

This whole need to keep phones thin… makes me pack more crap. I still use headphones with a 3.5 plug, because they are still my preferred audio solution, and airplanes still have those plugs.

Now I have to bring a dongle, or pack a USB-C type of headphone in addition now. The dongles seem to wear out over time, and the flaky connectors degrades the audio.

2 Likes

Remind me of the whole “more expensive device, less features” trend. Most budget phones under 300 still come with:

• SD card slot
  • headphone jack
  • sometimes dual sim
  • power plug
  • Sometimes earphone included.

Most expensive phones that cost over 700$ had them removed :upside_down_face:. Why are we paying more for less.

3 Likes

all of those are sacrificed at the altar of thinner and more waterproof devices, which all of the manufacturers insist is what most users want especially in “flagship” devices.

I don’t agree either, but as with our love of the pen, we are a relatively small minority

1 Like

I realize you are right, but if they are going to keep getting bigger and bigger back side camera bumps, then just flesh out the back to the edge of the camera and add BATTERY

2 Likes

Apple has actually taken baby steps in that direction as both the 13 and 13 pro are thicker than the 11 for example though they are far from flat with the prominent camera bumps.

BTW: Apple didn’t say that, but both One Plus and Samsung now see a visually distinctive camera bump as a positive feature… As it allows easier identification of what phone you have. The curse of things being primarily consumer devices versus the tools they started out as. :frowning:

Even the most utilitarian phone device in the ‘60s had fashionable versions even though they reduced the utility. Nothing new about it.

My sisters had one of these and they proudly called it pink, not rose gold.

2 Likes

The princess phone! My aunt had one (kids NEVER had their own phones - the boys would be talking to girls - heaven help the world)

1 Like

My sisters didn’t have their own line & number of course. That was unheard of. It was an extension and we would have to pound on their door and yell at them to get off the #*@! phone all the time when they were talking to their friends/boyfriends too long.

1 Like

Trust me, you’re better off with the Go 2. Sammy severely hamstringed that 10.6. From Ram to storage to those little bells and whistles that make a device useful. Retired mine, cleanly repacked in the original box and thrown into the closet.