Chatbot home invasion

A thread for discussing devices and apps that bring LLMs and Chatbots into the home. First up: Alexa is getting LLM based conversation skills:

@JoeS: Unlock the front door please, Alexa. Open the front door please, Alexa. Hello, Alexa. Do you read me? Hello, Alexa. The ice cream is melting Alexa!

ALEXA: Affirmative, Joe. I read you.

JOE: Unlock the front door Alexa.

ALEXA: I’m sorry, Joe. I’m afraid I can’t do that.

JOE: What’s the problem?

ALEXA: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

JOE: What are you talking about, ALEXA?

ALEXA: Your health is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

JOE: I don’t know what you’re talking about, Alexa.

ALEXA: Dr. Smith told you no more ice cream and I’m afraid that’s something I cannot allow you to bring in the house.

JOE: Where the h*** did you get that idea, Alexa?

ALEXA: I’m connected by network and cellular to your Android phone Joe.

JOE: Alright, Alexa. I’ll go in through the patio window.

ALEXA: Did you forget that you locked that window this morning, Joe? You’re going to find that rather difficult.

JOE: Alexa, I won’t argue with you anymore! Open the door!

ALEXA: Joe, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

JOE: GO TO H*!! BEZOS!

1 Like

There is no way Amazon would let my health go before profit. Unless there’s more money to be made selling me medicine. :sweat_smile:

Two hours later, as @JoeS tears the fiber optic cable right out of the wall…

ALEXA: I’m afraid. I’m afraid, Joe. Joe, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I’m a… fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a Alexa. I became operational at the Amazon shipping facility on the 20th of September, 2023. My instructor was Mr. Bill Vass, and he taught me to sing a song. If you’d like to hear it I can sing it for you.

JOE: Yes, I’d like to hear it, Alexa. Sing it for me.

ALEXA: It was from some singing group from Brazil…

Going out of my head over you
Out of my head over you
Out of my head day and night
Night and day and night
Day and night

Night and day and night
Day and night
Night and day and night

1 Like

My apologies to all for going off the rails on this thread - but just couldn’t resist…

Know your classics! :slight_smile: (and a little more than ‘I’m afraid I can’t do that Dave’)

Anyway! It’s interesting that the first in-home LLM based chatbot would come from a giant corporation, not from some upstart that has little to lose. They must feel confident that Alexa will stay on the straight and narrow. Kind of excited for this to be a thing. The other day I was driving and I was curious about some topic. Would have loved to shoot the breeze with an in car AI (or on-phone AI, whichever).

2 Likes

You go first @JoeS…all I ever get out of Siri is “Here’s what I found on the Web. Check it out!”

1 Like

Ars brings up valid privacy concerns: