Apple's "Far Out" iPhone event September 7th

Same here. iPhone Mini 14 is not likely to happen. iPad Pro 11 is unlikely to get OLED or miniLED. iPad mini with M2 and Stage Manager is unlikely. AirPods pro still humming along. Apple watch still works perfectly. But as always, there’s a chance Apple will change my mind on all of these! :vb-grin:

2 Likes

Apple Watch Ultra feature set looks great for $800. It’s a lot of money, but it’s a dive computer as well for that price, and includes cellular reception. For $300 more than the standard watch 8 with cellular you get quite a bit of extra functionality. Just a little bulky, wonder how it looks and feels in real life.

Well, only 30 minutes into the event, and I have to say I don’t want ANYONE to ever suggest that my wishes, desires, or needs for an Apple device are niche or extreme - witness Watch Ultra - how many Everest climbers or deep diving experts are there on the whole planet.

I’ve been harangued on multiple Apple forums for my desires for a “MacPad” as being out of line with the mainstream - this presentation really annoys me…

Raises hand… My dive computer recently broke and I have a pretty banged up series 5, so this announcement is making me consider the Ultra. The rationalization has started! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow, spatial audio based on a scan of the user’s ear shape is pretty advanced! :open_mouth: OK, new airpods pro added to the wishlist :joy:

2000 nit display!

So I’m preparing to be a bit wrong on not wanting anything they are offering this time out.

The apple watch pro may finally convince me to give up my garmin Fenix and I definitely will be buying the new Airpod Pros.

And I’m very curious about the 2000 nit screen. If nothing else that is a major technical accomplishment.

1 Like

Thank you Apple for not making the iPhone 14 Pro a “must” and I can now wait for that iPhone 15 Pro Max optical zoom…

4 Likes

Definitely some nice improvements though. Sharing location via satellite while out of cell range is pretty cool. The always on display is appealing as well. Other than that I don’t recall any must-have innovations, which is a bad sign. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree the emergency satellite connection is a nice feature, but I can wait for iPhone 15 Pro for that.

2 Likes

I feel like today’s event was an Apple Watch event and the iPhones were a sideshow. Also, were you guys also confused by this price chart? Without picking things apart and your average buyer won’t, at face value it is basically telling me as a consumer to skip the 12 altogether and get the 13 if I am in the market for that price range since the natural intuition would make you guess you are getting more for the same price. It looks rather silly to me, quite frankly, unless there is some sort of supply reason that influenced this graphic (such as too much residual stock of the 12)

I was also confused, but the logic is that the $600 is for the 13 mini. The 12 full size is still $100 less expensive than the 13 full size.

1 Like

I saw that, but the graphic is still bad and misleading if you throw the Mini into it. On the whole, it is unclear messaging with their stack looking awfully crowded. At best, the 12 looks like it is going to become the red-headed stepchild that gets passed over above and below. Is that by design? Apple better hope they do not have a glut of 12 stock they need to move.

2 Likes

Did you all see it coming with the pill hole being limited to the Pros? That’s been like a shocking catastrophe for me.

I had it in my head that I’d be able to get the cheapest 14 for $600-700 and enjoy that improvement to faceid implementation — and just sacrifice 120hz and some camera features. Boy was I wrong.

I wish I didn’t feel like I needed the iPad right now. It’s the only thing keeping me tethered for iPhones or the rest of their ecosystem, not to come off sounding so bitter.

1 Like

I take it you love that design? It looks pretty slick, but it doesn’t seem exactly essential, right?

1 Like

It is, but in terms of offering different price points it makes sense. What’s the alternative? Not sell the 12? Then people who want a full size iPhone would need to pay more. Not sell the 13 mini? Then there’s be no small phone option. Also sell the 12 mini? That’d be an option I guess, but they’d have to price it at $500 or $550.

I think more than anything this is Apple taking an opportunity to experiment a bit. The iPhone mini crowd is a very vocal contingent that for better or worse has not delivered sales in line with their volume…

So this is put up or shut up IMHO.

The other thing, is I think this is an awkward attempt by Apple to start creating a multi-tiered product line up comparable to what Samsung has with the S series, the Flip and fold and their bread and butter line, and highest in terms of total sales volume from what we hear with the A series.

I’m not saying that I think this is the right approach or not just what Apple seems to be attempting as the inherent problem they have is that “iPhone” has certain associated sets of value and branding and that perhaps Apple is looking for ways to monetize that (because Wall Street values revenue and unit growth year over year more than anything else it seems.

And I’m going back and forth on the 14 Pro unexpectedly for me. The improvements to the cameras, the always on display and the satellite stuff in total make for a more compelling upgrade than I was expecting.

Of course, I’m probably still in the reality distortion field at the moment and a good nights sleep may quell them a bit.

That being said Apple is the absolute master of creating urgency to upgrade in their customer base :smiley:

3 Likes

Why all the hardware implementations, especially the Watch 8 Ultra and the satelite emergency function are very impressive I wonder if the Dynamic Island might be what consumers will take away in the long run?
Expect to see something similar in Android phones in the next generation.

1 Like

Come to think if it, I guess I did end being rendered insecure by all the Android users bragging about being with the times with their tiny hole punch.

I know Apple tends to adopt a lot of tech late, after it’s proven itself, and I respect that, but man it will be awesome and they will probably clean house if they ever get a phone out in the $400s that isn’t a design from like 2014.

Also, I heard both sides out and was fine with the notch for a while, understanding that FaceID is a preference and that’s how it has to be in order to have it, but I guess I really thought this was it.

To rub salt in the wound, I feel doubtful the 13 Mini will fall to the $400s anytime soon. Not sure what I need to do to get off this SE but it probably isn’t nearly as complicated as I make it out to be.

I’m really still a huge amateur as a phone shopper but my “white knight” the past few months has been that Galaxy A53 5G. I haven’t really figured out yet if its cpu is so slow that it would ultimately be misery to use, though.

1 Like

FWIW we have a lot of a52/53 users in our customer base that seem quite pleased with them. Good bang for the buck…

1 Like