What's The Next Big Thing After The Smartphone?

Quite simple actually. Apple for IOS has app store requirements and guidelines and apps will get rejected if they don’t follow Apples UI guidelines/rules for instance (ours have multiple times)

With Android as long as it’s not active malware, it gets in to the store for all intents and purposes.

PS: I do agree DEX gets overlooked in some cases. I use it frequently on my s22 ultra for quick presentations and demos for instance

That makes sense. Do you think the Android apps are lower quality because they can get away with it (app store restrictions), or because they just don’t make the investment to bring features over, or both?

MH briefly did mobile app developement and I do remember frustration with both app stores.

I have linux running on android for funsies. Can you do anything like that on an iPad?

Perhaps its the tinkerer in me that likes the theoretical “freedom” in android vs iOS.

I think it’s a combination of things including Google’s fairly hands off approach to the store.

More concerningly there is widespread perception among all the developers and OEMS we work with that Android users won’t pay for apps. You see that in the prevalence of “free” apps but which in many cases require "in app purchases " to do anything substantial or heavy duty.

To a degree that’s a downside of an open ecosystem versus a closed one like Apple’s. For instance, the issues with 2nd screen support on Dell XPS systems is 100% due to dell tweaking “standard” intel chipset firmware and drivers to achieve some additional power savings.

To be clear I’m both a Samsung fan but also more broadly speaking out of job necessity, platform neutral. In other words it’s all about the best tool for the job(s) at hand. And FWIW my S22 Ultra is the best business phone I’ve owned.

On the other hand, there’s only one Android app that I ‘need’, but several Windows ones that I do.

And Windows plays better with multiple displays, allowing for far more options.

I tried running only with DeX. It was doable but still a pain. From issues with selecting text to window management. Not to mention the lack of a decent office apps (no really, all of them are bad)*. And I tried again recently and it won’t even work with some docks.

At the end of the day, it all relies on what you want from devices and for what uses. Android suits me fine on a smartphone, but sitting down to actually get something done for a while and Windows suits me much better.

*You could (can) blame Microsoft for that, but you see why they don’t want to make Android (or other OSes) too appealing. So you can also blame other developers for not stepping up to fill that gap in the market. Google certainly haven’t tried hard, while Apple have at least partially (Numbers is still pretty bad, but Pages and Keynote are good, and things like Affinity now fill in more gaps).

BTW for those that want to install a mainstream Linux distro on their galaxy tabs, I’d recommend UserLAnd which is on the play store and then using the Ubuntu option.

Touch works but s-pen support is both minimal and tricky (though not impossible) to get going

How To Install Linux On Samsung Tablet? – Systran Box

EDIT: Pinetab is another option that is allegedly more geared towards tablets specifically, but I could never get it going properly though one of my engineers did.

They desperately need an editor for that site. The writing is difficult to understand it looks incredibly amateurish for what appears to be a company.

And as far as I can tell, they are US-based, so there’s no excuse for such poor grammar and sentence structure.

I got Ubuntu running with andronix on my fold.