Timing Out on Cellular

On wifi I can load this forum but it timed out on cellular. This is on my new Pixel Fold. The WiFi is using the same cell tower (Nighthawk mifi) and takes a while to load but eventually does without timeout. On cellular I have no problem or delay loading any other site. The error is:

net::ERR_TIMED_OUT

That’s DuckDuckGo. Chrome just tried to load endlessly.

1 Like

No problem loading the site on cellular on my Note 10 LTE running Edge.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. Hm, this is weird. It works on wifi through the Nighthawk mifi hotspot which has a cellular connection to the same tower as my Fold using LTE, using the same AT&T account but different line. Every other site I try connects and loads in a second or two.

1 Like

I also have the time-out issue on cellular - Fold 5, Edge browser, AT&T. Works fine on wifi. This has been an issue for a long time. I just wait until I have wifi to hang out with you fine folks.

3 Likes

@violajack — That’s a sad result but I might be joining you. :crying_cat_face:

1 Like

Okay, using a VPN is a viable workaround, @violajack The free ProtonVPN is what I’m using to post this from my Pixel Fold on AT&T cellular.

2 Likes

:raised_hand:Been having the cellular time out problem on my Fold 3 (across all installed browsers) for the past 6 months. I posted the problem on these forums but didn’t get any response. Funny enough it loads fast enough one the SDuo.
On wifi there’s no problem.

1 Like

Turned on Google 1 VPN two weeks ago but that didn’t help.

1 Like

Wary of using VPN. Sometimes the banking apps refuse to work because of it.

1 Like

And probably some streaming services like Disney. It’s easy enough just to flip it off when using such things.

2 Likes

Curiouser and curiouser. I connected the hotspot from my Pixel Fold to my Duo Uno and the Duo was unable to connect to this site. Installing ProtonVPN on the Duo allowed it to connect.

HOWEVER, connecting my iPhone 13 Pro to the same hotspot on the Pixel Fold right afterwards did not have the same result. The iPhone loaded up this site with no problem.

Since I have Google One for the next 6 months for free, I tried its VPN on my Pixel Fold and that’s a no-go. Would not connect, timed out like always without the ProtonVPN. What’s up with that?

I notice a commonality between the three people including me that are having this problem: folding phone. Maybe one of the creators of this forum’s software absolutely hates folding phones and inserted code to block them? It makes as much sense as anything else.

Edit: You know what, I bet it’s an “AI” feature that’s blocking connections from folding phones. It’s hallucinating that they’re dangerous or something. The thought occurred to me after this topic was suggested after I posted here:

This makes a lot more sense than some programmer of the software having a vendetta against folding phones. :joy:

2 Likes

Makes sense. @Hifihedgehog, any way to resolve this? Thanks in advance :pray:
Will give the ProtonVPN a try.

2 Likes

@Nnthemperor , are you also on AT&T? @violajack and I are. I ask because I just put a SIM card in my Duo Uno which uses T-Mobile network and it works for loading up this site. So maybe it’s a combination of AT&T and folding phone? Or maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree.

1 Like

I guess it was user error* but now Google VPN works to allow this site to show up. Moreover, with Google VPN I can track packages with USPS without it saying that I’m not allowed to see that page. Proton VPN didn’t work for tracking and a few other things I’ve noticed. I’m constantly turning it on and off every time I check this site.

I had the Google One free trial set to cancel in September but this VPN will probably push me to subscribing for the $10 a month. The 2TB cloud storage is way more than I need (never filled the Apple 50GB by more than a third) but doesn’t hurt. The extra photo editing features might be nice to keep.

• User error seems to have been turning it on in the Google One app but not activating it in the drop-down settings from the home screen. It was never on in my last test, apparently.
1 Like

So, now that you have resolved the connection issue, how do you like the fold?

1 Like

Slowly liking it better and better as I figure out/ remember how to do things on Android, learn things that are new since Android 12L on the Duo Uno along with unique things to Pixel devices, and resolve snags like this one.

I had moments of, “what was I thinking?!” the first day or so. That’s gone away and I’m reasonably confident that this will work out. I wasn’t expecting a unicorn.

1 Like

We have no AI blocking. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: The site is, however, IPv6 enabled (with IPv4 fallback for legacy support) and some VPNs as I once discovered have issues with sites that run on both IPv4 and IPv6.

2 Likes

Sorry for the belated response. No, I’m in Japan.

2 Likes

Good to know. Thanks.

The issue, however, is that the VPN is the only way to connect. The three of us with folding phones, at least, cannot connect to this site–it times out–using cellular without VPN. I have yet to come across any other site that does this.

2 Likes

And therefore the AT&T link is broken. It’s too bad there aren’t enough active users of this site to get a larger sampling. Are we three the only ones with folding phones? The Duo Uno apparently doesn’t count since when I put in a SIM (T-Mobile network) it had no problem connecting to this site (no VPN involved).

Google One’s VPN does work, as mentioned, but sometimes it needs a couple of tries. I occasionally get a blank page with an error saying my network changed. If I load up a different site then come back here it usually works. Or flipping the VPN off then on again.

2 Likes