Timing Out on Cellular

If you send me browser client information, I can try to reproduce it. Share with me the version of browser, version of Android, and perhaps even ISP. VPN-less, I have not experienced this issue across iOS, Android, Windows, and even Linux. I say this because right now even with many different configurations, I do not have the matching configuration to hone in and diagnose the issue.

1 Like

How about with Chrome or other browsers? Is this specific to Edge or general to all browsers?

1 Like

@here, try using a different DNS such as Cloudflareā€™s (IPv4: 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1; IPv6: 2606:4700:4700::1111 and 2606:4700:4700::1001) and see if that resolves this. That may be the issue here as there are reports online of AT&Tā€™s DNS being sluggish and bug-ridden.

1 Like

@here, I have not forgotten you! I rebooted the server and changed the serverā€™s DNS from Google to Cloudflare to see if that might help any. Let me know if you are still experiencing issues and try different browsers as well to see if it is client specific as well. I suspect it is DNS related since @Dellaster has the issue while directly connected to cellular on his foldable yet he does not have it when using the Wi-Fi router that is connected to cellular. That leads me to believe the DNS configuration on his router is properly handshaking. Thanks for troubleshooting with me and sorry for the hassle this has caused you all!

1 Like

The only other browser I have is Samsung Internet. It also times out on cellular. I do not have a vpn and canā€™t take time at the moment to set one up.

Thatā€™s a no-go with the change, @Hifihedgehog but thanks for trying. Vivaldi does the time out error page as usual and Chrome just cycled itā€™s dots forever trying to connect, also as usual. In other words, no change.

Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m up to digging into the advanced settings and setting DNS considering this is the only site that has any kind of problem and everything else is quite fast and responsive. Itā€™s not that hard to flip on the VPN or connect to Wi-Fi if itā€™s available.

1 Like

I am beginning to believe that is the case based on various conversations I have read online.

https://www.reddit.com/r/YouShouldKnow/comments/10vd22z/ysk_att_has_exceptionally_poor_ipv6_support_and/

I wonā€™t dispute that. However, I went ahead and switched to the private DNS using instructions from:

My settings look like:

And unfortunately it does the same thing. No change. By the way, I tried it without that adaptive connectivity and also no change.

Edit: I also restarted after changing the DNS server.

1 Like

All I can say is that in the UK Iā€™ve not had this issue on either Vodafone or EE.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a private DNS. Try a manually entered one with the IP addresses I shared earlier in the thread/topic. If that doesnā€™t, Iā€™m stumped myself. AT&T and Verizon both currently work fine on iPhones. Sorry and Iā€™ll keep chipping away at this from time to time to eventually discover and fix the root cause!

2 Likes

I have no idea how to manually enter those numbers. This tower and service were fine on my iPhone before I switched phones last week. With automatically set AT&T DNS just like this Pixel Fold. The only difference is that itā€™s a Pixel Fold not a iPhone 13 Pro. Maybe it really is a forum software programmer with a vendetta against folding phones!

I give up. Thanks for all your efforts!

1 Like

Hereā€™s a fun additional data point for placing the blame on ATT. I started a google fi trial using the esim in my fold 5 and Iā€™m typing this from the road on the google fi sim.

2 Likes

Yeah, I mentioned in one of my posts that my Duo Uno worked okay on a T-Mobile tower. That was Boost Mobile.

But @Nnthemperor doesnā€™t have AT&T, itā€™s a service in Japan.

1 Like

With the recent hosting switch this is no longer a thing for me. Instant connection with my Pixel Fold on AT&T cellular. Yesterday before the change I had to use a VPN, now I do not.

How about you two, @violajack and @Nnthemperor ?

3 Likes

YES! I AM HAPPY TO HEAR THIS IS RESOLVED! WOOT!

See, Contabo, which we were using, is a value VPS provider and they are notorious for having graylisted and sometimes even blacklisted IP addresses and address ranges that were once used by bad actors. I had noticed times when my Contabo IP would be arbitrarily blocked or throttled by certain services. They also oversell their VPSes, and that may have played into things as well.

Oplink, who we now are using, should have no such issue serving our forum as they are a premier provider. Humble brag time. Oplink (thanks to their killer Zen 4 7950X-based server offering) easily outperformed Alwyzon (who offers ā€œjustā€ a Zen 4-based EPYC 9354P server), the top listed service on VPSBenchmarks.com. This is world-class performance and, to turn a phrase based on @desertlapā€™s great thread from a week or so ago, game-changing for the crew, I hope! And to really drive things home, this is where we were with Contaboā€™s six-core server offering only yesterday.

Oplink:

Alwyzon:

Contabo:

2 Likes

Great to hear. The site was down yesterday. Just came on now and I can confirm that this site loads as fast as anything I have experienced on cellular. Thanks @Hifihedgehog

4 Likes