Qualcomm Snapdragon X (Nuvia/Oryon architecture)

Strongly disagreed. They are no longer teasing in the safe confines of quarterly investor calls where they were merely giving loose release windows. Yesterday, they began Nuvia’s public marketing campaign as their senior VP of marketing issued the press release declaring such. This is a huge milestone for Nuvia as it means that they are no longer just committing to a date but are set for or even in production. They are close now as in 2024 close, which they have stated in the press release, which means no more major delays in sight.

1 Like

Hate to say this, but that’s really why you should be rooting for WOA/Oryon. :wink:

The bigwigs at Samsung have decided after the GB12, “there shalt only be no Windows slates”, but if WOA slates gain traction, imo they could be convinced back in the ring.

2 Likes

I’ve never rooted against Oryon, only questioned whether they are even CLOSE to delivery (Q1 2025 is looking like the closest thing to reality - and even then are thy in M1 or M2 ballpark)…

Hey, I’m just glad to see @Hifihedgehog on board with ARM as he was a notable hold-out/skeptic for awhile there, unlike my unapologetic boosterism :laughing:

1 Like

Ah, so the tiger parenting version of…“rooting for”. :stuck_out_tongue: Does wonders for a child’s psyche.

Nope, just absolute cynical skeptic…basically bipolar behavior…

“One has to be skeptical, not cynical. Skepticism allows you to both doubt and believe, and not get trapped with either one. There’s a distinction between being cynical and skeptical. If you’re cynical, you tend to withdraw with curled lip, drop out, and say, ‘A pox on both your houses.’ If you’re skeptical, you have a similar appraisal of the situation – but you engage.” Ralph Nader

For Apple, yes. For ARM, no. Apple has been waning and slowing and my criticism remains for their lack of innovation microarchitecturally. If ARM, x86, RISC-V, etc., provide a performant architecture and continue to improve meaningfully upon it, they earn my congratulations. Apple performs well, but has done nothing to improve their microarchitecture meaningfully for the last 3-4 years. ARM as a whole has been not trying hard either, but NUVIA seems to be the first bold effort in recent memory from that camp that has Zen-like aspirations worthy of praise.

We finally have our first Geekbench scores in, from longtime QC leaker Revegnus:

https://twitter.com/Tech_Reve/status/1712048358062469186

~2600/14000 single/multi-core scores in Geekbench 6, compared to:

~2650/14500 for the M2 Pro;
~2600/9700 for the base M2.

(Geekbench average single core)

(average multi-core)

Solidly beating the base M2 in multicore, and just slightly under the M2 Pro in performance. Again, priced right these would be killer in the mobile PC space.

Revengus also adds the P cores apparently overclock to 4GHz at around 2900 GB score, which would it above even the M2 Ultra. That means we potentially have a full line-up competitor to the Apple Silicon.

3 Likes

But where does Revengus leave it: “However, the overall power consumption is not good, and the performance difference compared to Cortex-X4 isn’t significant.” For so much raving about GB6 performance numbers, “not good” seems pretty vague - as in “scorchingly hot in the Surface Pro thermal envelope?”

1 Like

2 Likes

Nah. This is Revegnus just being Revegnus. He has been salty ever since the massive fail Exynos 990. Here’s the thing: this is classic Revegnus rhetoric. Revegnus is a notorious Samsung shill and it shows here. So while he has a fantastic record on leaks themselves, he is also known to add his own spin to feed his fanboyism. He downplays the competition for Samsung and their Exynos’ sake so his favorite isn’t left looking too bad.

He will withhold other information he has on hand and give generic information to keep his Samsung fanboyism alive. Case in point, he knows how much power this chip draws but instead of posting a wattage number like a normal unbiased leaker would, he willfully withholds it and he just nonchalantly says power draw isn’t good without specifying how much and compared to what?. His Cortex X4 comment is the even more baffling one of the two—because again, Exynos, which is slated to use Cortex X4 next generation, and Mr. Samsung fanboy can’t speak ill of his horse in the race. The truth be told, a Cortex X4 needs to be clocked to 4 GHz to achieve the same single core performance as NUVIA at 3.6 GHz.

Lemme guess, you’re not a glass half-full person? Well, where does Revegnus start it: :stuck_out_tongue:

“Qualcomm renaming it to the X-series instead of 8cx Gen 4 suggests their confidence in the product.”

The thing is these are leaks, the meat is in numbers and all the commentary is just flavour text.

(In this case, being on par with the Cortex-X4 is nothing to sneeze at, they are shaping up to be monsters in their own right.)

and lets not forget that the early pre SQ1 leaks implied core i5 levels of performance and we see how well that worked out.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m quite optimistic about Snapdragon X, even if they only equal mainstream Apple M chips, it still makes WOA a much more viable and valuable option.

PS: If anyone thinks thermal limiting isn’t going to be THE limiting factor of the new chips simply hasn’t been paying attention as even the SQ chips in the Pro 9 get to throttling fairly quickly with even a moderate load.

First, apologies to our leak source - Revegnus…

Second, @Marty - you’ve been here forever, you didn’t need to guess. Anything less than FULL is EMPTY…

Third, I really hope the optimism here for Snapdragon X comes to fruition, as I don’t see Intel gaining any ground in the Table PC space, and M$ is leading the way to “No 5g for you!” unless it is Qualcomm…

Fourth, I fear I will end my career with with an SP8 as my best choice…

From the beginning I thought Apple was leaning too heavily on the reality distortion field with its performance per watt marketing - now I am believing their hype…

https://x.com/videocardz/status/1716032056847671497?s=46

Lots of big numbers, and a claim of up to 2x faster than… x86 (which gen?). Based on these, any thoughts on how it would perform compared to say the Surface Pro 9 ARM? Twice as fast? That’d be nice.

2 Likes

I spy with my little eye a Surface Pro 10 lookalike in the lower right quadrant, in the lower left of that quadrant.

2 Likes

The performance per watt claim also looks appetizing, depending on what “The Competition” means. Hoping at least some of these claims are truish.

1 Like

Qualcomm Snapdragon Summit 2023

2023-10-24T19:00:00Z2023-10-24T21:00:00Z

Found via:

@here

1 Like

@here, it is now live!