MS to "merge" Intel and ARM devices in Pro 9 model line

I almost exclusively use my laptop docked at my desk, but also almost exclusively use my IPP in the magic keyboard on my lap. When I still used my Miix 700, it was also almost exclusively a lap device, and was infinitely more frustrating than the magic keyboard. On occasion I would get frustrated enough with the Miix 700 to move to a table to continue writing, but usually it wasn’t so bad that I would actually change locations. With the IPP, I have never run into a scenario where I want to move to a table. I do wish it angled back a little more, like the renders for the patent that lets it lay flat, or similar ish to the Surface Laptop Studio.

It’s too bad the SLS and other Windows designs like it are not detachable. It’s like the Windows world has decided if it’s going to be detachable, it has to be Surface like with the kickstand and floppy keyboard. Very little innovation IMO in that regard. Like @Desertlap said, just because it doesn’t work for you, doesn’t mean it won’t for others. More variety in detachables would be great in the Windows world.

2 Likes

, hah I can relate to that. I want the weight of the Surface Go and the screen size of Pro 8. :sweat_smile:
Maybe the upcoming folding Windows devices (like Neo etc) will provide that.

2 Likes

Haven’t tried lapping the Pro 8 since I got it, but I can attest to @Bronsky’s point about the SGo’s easy use in that regards.
Speaking of the Go, for the life of me, I don’t get MS’s rationale in not giving us the Winpad that @dstrauss has been harping on for years in this device. What sense does WOA make on a 13" device when the sweet spot would be the Go’s size? If I’m carrying an unwieldy 13" device, I might as well get the maximum power with it.

4 Likes

Agreed, heck they could even do the middle ground here and and use a 12" screen like the Laptop Go.

So, looks like the Pro 9 5g will be available soon after launch? Lilbits: Microsoft's new 5G portable computing device, Honor Pad X8 tablet, and Avast buys a popular browser extension - Liliputing

1 Like
It’s the NEO!

https://www.deviantart.com/calzephyr

2 Likes

AchingGenuineAracari-size_restricted

3 Likes

This would be a near miracle - have they ever been closer than four months after general release?

Only BIGGER miracle would be if it IS NEO!

2 Likes

Ewan Spence over at Forbes (somewhat connected to industry sources, but also a click bait headline expeert) claims the SP9 5g will be an ARM only device…

The piece about the Surface laptop is interesting if only to confirm the reason that Microsoft is selling the Go Laptop for half price at the moment, around $300. So the Go Laptop 2 gets 11th generation power with Iris Xe graphics and up to 16GB RAM.

Silence … dead silence about the Go.

1 Like

Don’t care whatever stupid business rationalizations they may pull out of their rear end, but it’ll be dang too stupid of MS not to upgrade the Go. Period! The PRO8 is a great device, but it is also heavy and not as portable as the Go. I keep beating that dead horse, WOA will make more sense on the Go form factor considering it’s lower power.

5 Likes

I’d bet money the Surface Go is just getting a refresh, possibly WOA based. especially considering that MS told us it was a sales star during the pandemic.

Low prices may just be clearing the channel.

OTOH The Surface Laptop Go is selling considerably below expectations, even with the recent refresh with 11 gen Core I5.

Can’t speak for the public at large, but our corporate customers don’t see the point since it’s gimped in their view by lack of pen support and non-backlit keyboard, both features that they consider to be standard.

The only place we hear it’s sold in any numbers at all is in K12 education which is exceptionally price conscious and which got undercut price wise by MS themselves with the Surface Laptop SE

3 Likes

They’d never market it as such, but it’s a pretty good machine for the elderly. Gave one to my dad (i5 with 128GB SSD model), and he’s perfectly happy with it. He would never use a laptop without all the lights in the living room blasting, and he’s never used a stylus. Just a nice solid laptop with quality 3:2 screen and a pleasant keyboard.

That said, maybe he secretly dropped it, but the fan kind of grinds and the hinge ‘snaps’ upon first open if you haven’t opened it in a day or so. Neither seem to be widespread issues, so I guess just (bad) luck of the draw.

These device sizes can be deceiving. I weighed my SP8 and iPad Pro 11, with their keyboards and respective pens, and surprised:

SP8…2lb 10.2oz (sorry gram fans)

iPP11…2lb 7.5oz

Of course this is all a function of the ultra-hefty Apple Magic Keyboard, but still I have to say I like the power to weight ratio of the SP8.

2 Likes

1.71 lbs. LTE version Go2 with type cover.

4 Likes

A near pound savings - that’s impressive. If only MS/QC could really give us an i5 powered ARM device…

2 Likes

I’ll take an Intel fanless I5.

3 Likes

1.2 kg and
1.1 kg
Shave off 0.2 kg and you have a winner spec in the metric world.

2 Likes

So we have a customer that submitted this ThinkPad which is the first out of the gate with the 8Cx gen 3.

We have just started testing and need more work to confirm, but there seem to be some anomalies in performance including near immediate throttling behavior, especially when running 64 bit X86 emulation.

This is interesting on a couple levels and makes me even more intrigued by the forthcoming Surface Pro 9 5G.

One of the unheralded virtues, of the Pro X is/was that it made the most of the SQ1/SQ2 relative to other WOA devices, in that it almost never thermally throttles.

Cooling Snapdragons versus Intel Core I present different cooling challenges and on the one hand they produce much less heat overall than even the lower TDP Core I chips, but OTOH, because the motherboard and the chips themselves are much smaller, the heat that is generated is more concentrated.

That was likely why the Pro X got the new redesigned housing well before the Intel versions.

I’ll post more after we complete testing.

BTW: I’ve said this before and it’s not universally true anymore, but this one lives up to the ThinkPad tradition of being well built devices.

I also agree it appears to have a significantly above average webcam setup.

Lenovo ThinkPad X13s Gen 1 Laptop review: Snapdragon gets down to business | PCWorld

2 Likes

An interseting review, and like your observations. Is WOA incompatible with Thunderbolt, or is it an “Intel thing”?