Microsoft Surface Pro 10

So far, Microsoft has unveiled the business version of the Microsoft Surface Pro 10. In an unexpected return to form after neglecting to do so for the Surface Laptop Studio 2, Microsoft has published a Microsoft Mechanics deep dive for the new tablet 2-in-1. Highlights include Intel 14th Gen Meteor Lake processor with NPU AI acceleration, a brighter 600 nits LCD display with anti-reflective glass finish, and NFC reader. Rumors are still the basis surrounding the consumer version, but a chorus of trusted media sources have alleged that the consumer model will feature an OLED display and Qualcomm Snapdragon X Elite processor (see here and here). This top post will be updated once the consumer version is officially announced, which is purported to be unveiled on May 20th and subsequently released the following month in June 2024.

Surface Pro 10 for Business

Official Product Images

Official Reveal Event

https://modernworkannounce.event.microsoft.com/

Official Product Page

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/surface-pro-10-for-business/8v73d6qwrss1?icid=CNav_BusinessStore_Surface

Specifications

Processor Intel® Core™ Ultra 5 Processor 135U
Intel® Core™ Ultra 7 Processor 165U
NPU: Intel® AI Boost
Graphics Intel® Graphics
Memory and storage1 Memory options:
8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB LPDDR5x
Storage options:
Removable2 solid-state drive (Gen 4 SSD): 256GB, 512GB, 1TB
Display Touchscreen: 13 inch PixelSense™ Flow display3
Resolution: 2880 x 1920 (267 PPI)
Aspect ratio: 3:2
Contrast ratio: 1300:1
Refresh rate: up to 120Hz (Dynamic refresh rate supported)
Color profile: sRGB and Vivid
Individually color-calibrated display
Adaptive color
Touch: 10-point multi-touch
Dolby Vision IQ™ support4
Corning® Gorilla® Glass 5
Anti-reflective
Brightness: SDR 600 nits maximum (typical)
Size and Weight5,6 Length: 11.3 inch (287 mm)
Width: 8.2 inch (208.6 mm)
Height: 0.37 inch (9.3 mm)
Weight: 1.94 lbs (879 g)
Battery life7 Up to 19 hours of typical device usage7
Security Hardware TPM 2.0 chip for enterprise-grade security and BitLocker support
Windows Hello facial recognition with Enhanced Sign-in Security
NFC authentication
Windows 11 Secured-core PC
Cameras Full HD front-facing Surface Studio Camera
1440p Quad HD camera with ultrawide field of view
Windows Studio Effects with automatic framing, eye contact, and background blur
Windows Hello face authentication camera
10.5 MP Ultra HD rear-facing camera
Audio Dual Studio Mics with voice focus10
2 W stereo speakers with Dolby® Atmos®11
Support for Bluetooth® LE Audio
Ports and charging 2 X USB-C® with USB 4®/Thunderbolt™ 4 with support for:
Charging
Data transfer
DisplayPort 2.1 with support up to 1 x 8K monitor
Supports fast charging with minimum 45W power supply via Surface Connect or USB-C33
Surface Connect port
Surface Pro Keyboard port
Network and connectivity Wi-Fi 6E: 802.11ax compatible13
Bluetooth® Wireless 5.3 technology
Pen & accessories compatibility Pen Compatibility
Designed for Surface Slim Pen for Business14
Integrated storage and wireless charging for Surface Slim Pen 2 with Surface Pro Keyboard with Pen Storage for Business14
Supports tactile signals with Surface Slim Pen for Business14
Supports Microsoft Pen Protocol (MPP)
Keyboard Compatibility
Surface Pro Keyboard for Business
Surface Pro Signature Keyboard for Business
Surface Pro X Signature Keyboard for Business
Surface Pro X Keyboard for Business
Software Windows 11 Pro or Windows 10 Pro15
Preloaded Microsoft 365 Apps16
Microsoft 365 Business Standard, Microsoft 365 Business Premium, or Microsoft 365 Apps 30-day trial17
Accessibility Compatible with the optional bold keyset version of Surface Pro Keyboard18
Compatible with Surface Adaptive Kit
Compatible with Microsoft Adaptive Accessories
Includes Windows Accessibility Features – Learn More Accessibility Features
Discover more Microsoft Accessible Devices & Products - Accessible Devices & Products for PC & Gaming
Sustainability19 Surface Pro 10 for Business is designed with sustainability in mind.
More recycled materials
Enclosure is made with a minimum of 72% recycled content, including 100% recycled aluminum alloy and 100% recycled rare earth metals.19
More energy efficient
ENERGY STAR® certified
More repairable
The most easily serviceable Surface Pro ever, with a built-in QR code that provides access to repair instructions. Clear visual icons identify the number of screws and driver types needed for key components29
Surface Trade-in
We make trade-in convenient and secure for our commercial customers in the USA at Microsoft Trade In Program
Microsoft is committed to be carbon negative, water positive, and achieve zero waste by 2030. Learn more about how we design with sustainability in mind:
Sustainable Products & Solutions
Microsoft Surface Sustainability - Microsoft Sustainability
Serviceability29 Replaceable components include:
Display module
Removable solid-state drive
Battery
Motherboard (including main processor and main memory)
Surface Connect
Thermal module
Microphone module
Solid-state drive door
Speakers
Enclosure (bucket)
Front camera
Rear camera
Power and volume buttons
Kickstand
Device entry kit
Exterior Casing: Anodized aluminum
Colors30: Platinum, Black
Physical Buttons: Volume, Power
Kickstand Kickstand with 165 degrees full friction hinge
Sensors Ambient color sensor
Accelerometer
Gyroscope
Magnetometer
NFC
What’s in the box Surface Pro 10 for Business
39W Power Supply
Quick Start Guide
Safety and warranty documents
Warranty31 1-year limited hardware warranty
Battery Capacities5 Battery Capacity Nominal (Wh) 48
Battery Capacity Min (Wh) 47
  • [1] System software uses significant storage space. Available storage is subject to change based on system software updates and apps usage. 1GB = 1 billion bytes. 1TB = 1,000 GB. See Surface Storage for more details.

• [2] Solid State Drive (SSD) Retention is only available on Microsoft Surface devices in which the SSD is marketed as removable per the Technical Specifications. Solid State Drive (SSD) Retention is included in both Extended Hardware Service Plus and Microsoft Complete for Business Plus and is also available as an Optional Add-on when purchasing Microsoft Extended Hardware Service and Microsoft Complete for Business. Devices returned to Microsoft with a missing Solid State Drive (SSD) are subject to a Solid State Drive (SSD) replacement fee unless the device is enrolled in the Drive (SSD) Retention offer.

• [3] Surface Pro 10 for Business display has rounded corners within a standard rectangle. When measured as a standard rectangular shape the screen is 13 inch diagonally (actual viewable area is less).

• [4] Requires Dolby Vision IQ™ encoded content and video.

• [5] Might vary depending on manufacturing processes.

• [6] Weight not including Keyboard.

• [7] Battery life varies significantly based on usage, network and feature configuration, signal strength, settings and other factors. See Surface Battery Performance for details. Testing conducted by Microsoft in February 2024 using preproduction Windows 11 software and preproduction Surface Pro 10 for Business Intel® Core™ Ultra 7 processor 165U, 512GB,16GB RAM devices. Testing consisted of full battery discharge with a mixture of active use and modern standby. The active use portion consists of (1) a web browsing test accessing eight popular websites over multiple open tabs, (2) a productivity test utilizing Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, OneNote and Outlook, and (3) a portion of time with the device in use with idle applications. Personalization colors set to Light mode for Windows and apps. All settings were default except screen brightness was set to 150 nits with auto-brightness and adaptive color disabled. Wi-Fi was connected to a network. Tested with Windows 11 Version 22631.3085. Battery life varies significantly with settings, usage, and other factors.

• [10] Voice focus requires activation, requires Windows 11 and is available in apps which use integrated device microphones and use certain Windows audio processing modes.

• [11] Requires Dolby® Atmos® encoded content/audio.

• [13] Wi-Fi 6E not available in all areas.

• [14] Sold separately.

• [15] Windows 10 is not available for purchase but is supported by Surface Pro 10 for Business. Visit Surface Supported Operating Systems for more information.

• [16] Requires license or subscription (sold separately) to activate and use.

• [17] Activation required. If your device is managed by your organization’s IT department, contact your IT administrator for activation. After 30 days, you will be charged the applicable monthly or annual subscription fee. Credit card required. Cancel any time to stop future charges. See Microsoft 365 for Business Trial Info.

• [18] Surface Pro Keyboard with optional Bold keyset available only in US English.

• [19] Enclosure includes Bucket and Kickstand. 100% recycled aluminum alloy in Bucket and Kickstand. 100% recycled rare earth metals in magnets. Based on validation performed by Underwriter Laboratories, Inc. using Environmental Claim Validation Procedure, UL 2809-2, Second Edition, November 7, 2023.

• [29] Replacement components available through Surface Commercial authorized device resellers. Components can be replaced on-site by a skilled technician following Microsoft’s Service Guide. Microsoft tools (sold separately) may also be required. Availability of replacement components and service options may vary by product, market and over time. See Surface service options - Surface | Microsoft Learn
    Opening and/or repairing your device can present electric shock, fire and personal injury risks and other hazards. Use caution if undertaking do-it-yourself repairs. Unless required by law, device damage caused during repair will not be covered under Microsoft’s Hardware Warranty or protection plans.

• [30] Colors available on selected models only. Available colors, sizes, finishes, and processors may vary by store, market, and configuration.

• [31] Microsoft’s Limited Warranty is in addition to your consumer law rights.

• [33] In select markets, only specific configurations come with 39W Surface power supply. Fast Charging (from 5% to 80%) is supported with minimum 45W Surface power supply or USB-C® PD charger, sold separately. Testing was conducted at Microsoft in February 2024, using pre-production devices, software, and minimum of 45W USB-C® charger under controlled conditions. The device was powered on to the desktop screen with default display brightness settings. Actual charge time will vary based on operating conditions. Measured at typical office ambient temperature of 23C.

Microsoft Mechanics YouTube Video

Surface Pro 10 (Consumer)

This Space Intentionally Left Blank

1 Like

Any thoughts on them listing the AC adapter as “39W Power Supply”?
That can’t be true right?
Every Surface Pro with intel has had a 65W AC adapter before this I believe. The 39W power supply was for the ARM Surface Pro 9 5G / X series and Surface GO series I believe.

The same sheet says " * Supports fast charging with minimum 45W power supply via Surface Connect or USB-C"

So either they have the spec sheet wrong, or they are telling us that we don’t get fast charging unless we buy a different AC adapter.

2 Likes

I don’t have information yet either (I checked with TD Synnex and it is not even in their database as of today), but I saw that too and I thought that looked… interesting. What this may mean is Microsoft is trying to upsell the Surface Dock to businesses by purposely only bundling a standard, non-fast charging power adapter.

Ha Ha. 19 hour battery life. Wanna bet?

4 Likes

*With Modern Standby for 80% of runtime

1 Like

*If it doesn’t also randomly wake up from Modern Standby and not go back into it.

3 Likes

So, Intel Pro 10 gets 5G option. 'Bout time. Microsoft releases new AI powered Surfaces

1 Like

So my understanding

The Pro 9 will indeed come with a 39w charger
The Laptop 6 13.5 inch will come with a 39w charger
The Laptop 6 15 inch will come with a 65w charger

The Pro 9 5G did indeed come with a 39w charger.

The main thing that gets cut out of the 39w chargers is the USB-A port, which took about 10w for itself.

The Pro 9 has a 15w CPU, so it should be fine.

The Laptop 6 is a bit strange given both models of the 13 and 15 inch have the same relative specs. The 8GB SKUs have weaker intel graphics instead of the ARC ones, and the 15-inch model has the additional USB-C/TB4 port, but there shouldn’t be any significant power difference between the two sizes that should require the larger power supply. Unless the larger size allows for better thermals and thus longer sustained turbo periods. Also being able to offload certain tasks to the NPU should change things up a bit.

1 Like

yes…but not for a while…that won’t be released till September/Fall-ish

It is adequate to run the machine, and yes its only a “15W” CPU, but that doesn’t actually mean 15W. you can have sustained loads of 18-28W on the CPU if you keep it cool (at least on SP9), add overhead, LCD Screen and any connected peripherals and it isn’t going to charge fast if it is working hard with only a 39W charger.

With Microsoft going the route of the least amount of e-waste and materials, I think it makes sense, I bet 95% of people never used that USB-A port on the brick anyways, however, those who want to charge quickly while also working on the machine may be sitting for hours unless they invest in a beefier charger.

1 Like

The main thing that gets cut out of the 39w chargers is the USB-A port, which took about 10w for itself.

You are on the right track, but the power consumption of the USB is 5W (5V x 1A) for the USB port. As @Cbutters brings up, these 15W processors actually consume far more in excess of their TDP under load since it is manufacturer configurable to react based on system load and skin temperature (that is, how hot it feels on the outside of the device) and that TDP is more of an average or happy medium. In reality, these U processor-based systems can draw as much as >60W under full load (see here: Microsoft Surface Pro 9 review: Convertible now with significantly more CPU power - NotebookCheck.net Reviews). Microsoft is clearly going cheap on the included charger to push an upsale, and I clearly see the Surface Dock as their desired commodity to get pushed in that upsale.

Well… I ordered one. I need to verify my Custom fans that I sell are effective with them anyways. It would be nice if there is decent uplift from the Surface Pro 9, but I’m highly skeptical.

Also it seems there is VERY little reason to upgrade from i5 → i7 this generation. The GPU execution units are the same either way, only a 100mhz GPU clock difference between the two.

In addition if you look at it from SP9->SP10 perspective, the SP9 GPU had 96 EU, where the pro 10 has 64 EU, although I know the stack has changed, and the clock speeds are higher, so will it be enough to overcome the execution unit deficit?.. unknown.

Hoping that “14th gen/1st Gen” at least a bit more efficient than 12th gen in the SP9, letting it clock a little higher for the same watts; but even that is kindof an unknown since there really are no comprehensive benchmarks that I can find for the 165U yet.

6 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Qualcomm Snapdragon X (Nuvia/Oryon architecture)

A post was merged into an existing topic: Windows 11

PS - mods - please feel free to move these to the Qualcomm thread - I just forgot about out when posting these last two posts.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Windows 11

7 Likes

I would have expected a whole load of Tube You Surface Pro 10 videos… . So far, literally one!! Oh. Not good. Interested to see what gaming is like on the 10. An extra 1.5fps, over the SP9?

2 Likes

So the Pro 10 might be a Plus device and not an Elite???

Arm-powered Surface Pro 10 with 10 core Snapdragon X Plus SoC leaks — will 16GB RAM be the new baseline? | Windows Central

I’ve read so much about the SP10 ARM of late, I can’t remember where I saw it, or if it is a combination of many sources, but it seems the SP10 is going to be an option build type device with processor (Plus or Elite), screen (Pixelsense or OLED), and I’m guessing up to 64gb ram and 2tb SSD. Now it is more a series of fixed configuration SKU’s.

1 Like