Microsoft Surface Go 4

I think he implied neither the G3 or G4 is as good as the SP7+ and under, much less the SP8 or Sp9.

1 Like

Pro 8/9 Slim Pen 2 Level would be perfect. That what they should have done with the Go 3

The problem is the Go’s pen performance is still worse then V4 pen technology from Pro 5 to 7+

And we’re at the point where you can blame the hardware. The 12th gen N200, although weak compared to 12/13th gen i5/i7s, should be more then adequate against a dual core 7th gen i5 from the Pro 5 era.

I’ll try and post photos demonstrating how bad it is.

1 Like

I think this speaks for itself. Same brush, same program, every setting in the brush, the program and in the surface app…and its just terrible on the Go 4

2 Likes

The lack of the updated Pixelsense controller has been one of the biggest flaws in the Go through the last 3 generations. The N200 looks like more of a lateral move than a CPU upgrade (why not the N300?). The lack of the keyboard charger slot for the pen is also a fatal omission. In all, Im glad Im not interested in this iteration of the Go. Hopefully, the device gets the attention it deserves in the future.

My god…that looks worse than the worst Atom tablets I’ve ever tried.

It looks almost like the CPU can’t clock fast enough to render the stroke…which shouldn’t be the case with the 3.7GHz boost on the N200 and 8GB of memory.

1 Like

Honestly, Microsoft should just bite the bullet and pay Wacom their price.

I’m sure they could get EMR for a pretty good price anyway, and it’s not like Microsoft are adverse or really even affected by flushing a few hundreds of millions down the toilet.

2 Likes

I would acctually be against that.

The PixelSense Pen Technology can be good.

Pro 8/9 Slim Pen 2 (V5) is perfectly good.

Pro 5-7+ (v4) is also pretty good.

The problem is they keep just messing up the Go for whatever reason

1 Like

I know the 4 is not many here want/would have expected, but OTOH I’m not defending or condemning MS but given the Go’s intended market and customer base, a high performance pen system is not a priority eg. they believe that the current level is sufficient.

That being said, putting even the Pro 9 level pen support in the go would have necessitated a pixel sense rework as near as I can tell and they are likely saving that for the alleged future WOA model. And parenthetically, the long-delayed SnapDragon chipset intended for devices like an 11 inch go is still not available yet.

PS: there are rumors that Qualcomm is looking at attempting to put a SQ class chip on a 3 or 5 nanometer node, which could also enable it in a Go size/class device while still leaving a performance delta for the forthcoming Hamoa chips.

1 Like

The igpu definitely seems to be solid improvement over the Go 2 / Go 3, there is a youtube channel that tests gaming on surface devices: josher14 - YouTube . Eg compare LOL on Go2 m3 : Surface Go 2 core M3 Gaming - League of Legends - YouTube with LOL on Go4 Surface Go 4 w/ Intel N200 Gaming - League of Legends (LOL) - YouTube. But like Bronsky I would have liked to see a N300 in it.

Maybe it differs per drawing app. If I draw on my Go 2 m3 (in uwp application) the sensitivity is consistent, lines are drawn quickly but I get wobbles if I draw slowly (using a book / non-digital ruler). I would say its a good experience for note taking and sketching but bad for slow & detailed drawing.

1 Like