Lenovo Yoga Book 9i

I thought they were under a disclosure contract and not allowed to post unboxings until the units were available in stores.

The Yoga Book 9i is a very interesting device, and really speaks to my inner multi-tasker, but I donā€™t know I can upsize from the SP8, and I found the 3.5lb MBP14 seems like an arm stretcher. I canā€™t see carrying it without the case/stand, keyboard, and pen, so Iā€™m sure itā€™s pushing over 4lbs and a bit of a struggle to carry sans bag.

Still, it will be interesting in the flesh. If only it were more Neo-eskā€¦

Why is it all the old-timers that are the wimps on this forum? Didnā€™t you guys cut your teeth schlepping 28lb Osborne Executives on the commute. :stuck_out_tongue:

Then thereā€™s @Bronsky who balks at carrying anything less delicate than a pursed-sized tablet. Cmon, you guys had to carry literal brick-sized cell phones!

You should be the ones telling us youngā€™uns how we have it too good. And all this modern obsession with ā€˜thinnessā€™ and ā€˜lightnessā€™ prevents us from truly appreciating tech hardware! :smiley:

6 Likes

Over three decades ago.

1 Like

We served our time so we DESERVE the best in the lightest package that can be made!

6 Likes

@lisaMobileTechReview has her review up:

6 Likes

Great review, as always @lisaMobileTechReview! If I hadnā€™t rediscovered the joy of my SP8 with LTE, this dual screen marvel would be on my shortlist. It would be even more compelling, for me, in Neo format.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve said it beforeā€¦ā€œaging eyes.ā€ However, ā€œaching backā€ also impacts my purchase choices.

FWIW, at one time I did lug around an IBM P75 ā€œluggable.ā€

4 Likes

Aging Eyes :person_shrugging: Aching Back

I just love max portability - even on my iPad Pro 11" and the previous Surface Go 2, if text got too small Iā€™d just go full screen on my apps - save the heavy lifting (pun intended) for that beautiful external monitorā€¦

1 Like

Things I wish:

• the keyboard had a Trackpoint
  • it had Wacom EMR
  • the stylus didnā€™t scroll
  • Samsung will make a competing device (ideally using the same wonderful screen as on the Book 3 Pro 360, or an equally nice smaller panel which would fit in my EDC bag ā€” a smaller 11" or so panel would be perfect, since it would work for portability, and would be a screen size which would really benefit from expansion)

One thing which wasnā€™t covered ā€” how is it in tablet mode? (folded over so that the both displays are on the outside) Is it possible to flip the device over to switch between screens in that mode? Are both on (tent mode?) or will the accelerometer be used to detect which is up and turn the other off? Or is only the ā€œmainā€ display (presumably the one w/ the webcam) thus enabled?

3 Likes

This one is a real failure - I know they included a mouse, but canā€™t believe they missed this opportunity.

1 Like

I do not get that either and I am not even a thinkpad user. :man_shrugging: It makes so much sense here, you would only need to bring along the laptop and the keyboard while still being able to have 2 screens.

Very cool laptop though, does sound overal better than the Asus Zenbook 17 Fold. Few things I would like to see in future iterations or clones from other brands besides the trackpoint: 16:10 (or 3:2) screens and full hd (or more battery efficient) screens. Microsd card would be nice as well.

Itā€™s because its not a Thinkpad? Lenovo has compartmentalized the little red button a long time ago.

2 Likes

OK, it is messing up my post.
Iā€™ll try again.

Wow, quite a few videos popping up on YouTube.
Suprisingly many positive reviews.

Also, it looks like there were a few Pre-orders ($2,100) shipped this month, directly from Lenovo site according to a few reviews(?)

It looks like a unique product.
I am wondering after the newness wears off,
will people just go back to the traditional laptop computing?

Also, I can see if you are in a hurry and slam your laptop closed, but forget to take off the keyboard = broken screen(s)

One of the reviews said something about being able to show a Powerpoint-type presentation on one screen, while controlling the slides on the other.

Iā€™d like it to be able to be interactive on both screens, being able to play a game of Chess against an opponent sitting opposite.

Would be the most expensive Battle Ship game board ever,
but what fun. No pegs to get lost

3 Likes

My impression is that the hinge is kind of restrictive in how it moves so a user wouldnā€™t be able to slam the two screens together. I guess some crazy dude going for eyeballs on YT will make an attempt sooner or later.

3 Likes

The Notebookcheck full review is out:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Double-trouble-Lenovo-Yoga-Book-9i-2-in-1-Dual-Screen-OLED-convertible-review.720469.0.html

A couple of things that would give me pause (hypothetically; Iā€™m not in the market):

There is no way to customize what the secondary touchscreen will show when the keyboard is attached and so it will always display either the virtual clickpad, live weather, or news feed. Even worse, clicking an item on the news feed will automatically launch the MSN browser instead of the more commonly used Edge or Chrome. Weā€™re hopeful that Lenovo will update the system with more customizable features in the near future.

Thatā€™s incredibly annoying and disappointing. Thereā€™s so much potential for useful customization there. :crying_cat_face:

If gaming, be careful not to touch the secondary display. Any accidental inputs on the secondary display may minimize the game window or shift focus away from the primary display.

So if the main display has a game in full screen any touch on the other display is like ALT-TAB? Another annoying missed potential for useful customization. Or multitasking while grinding in a game. Or anything at allā€”might as well have the second display automatically turn off while full screen gaming or when watching videos full screen (probably the same issue).

All fixable via software except the MSN browser cr*p if Lenovo is subsidizing the device with a Microsoft agreement.

1 Like

This probably depends on if you run the game fullscreen or (borderless) windowed mode. Default behavior for games in fullscreen mode should be losing focus which is expected behavior I would say. I know some games continue to run even though unfocussed, and some games are paused (depends on the game / game engine).

Very likely, just like with W11 widgets only msn news. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:
Lenovo should add same support here as Asus has done for Zenbook Duo.

It is definitely a niche product at this price, only people will buy it if they intend to make a good use of the 2nd screen (like artists). In that regard, I do not think the newness wears off unless the software implementation is not good enough. For example Surface Proā€™s and Yoga-style convertibles are still being quite popular.

1 Like

If the target market is business or creative professionals that would love a second screen (:vb-wavey: - I even use my iPP11 whenever I can but tethering is so inconvenient) I think it will be routine and not abandoned - especially for me in portrait mode so I can compare docs, research in one screen and write in the other, etc.

My ONLY reservation is my love for even SMALLER portability (11" Surface Pro). I know that is totally inconsistent but you folks KNOW me

2 Likes

PS - hereā€™s my current bluetooth keyboard I would carry with it if I do falter:

2 Likes