Leaving Windows for the Walled Garden - Grail Hunt

I’m still missing it I guess, after admittedly a 15 second google search.

It was Coronado’s search for the Seven Cities of Gold in the new world - technically the cities (at least Cibola) existed, but there were no paved streets of gold…

3 Likes

Don’t be. I had to as well.

1 Like

Ok, color me duh… forgot my high school history

No one should be embarrassed about this one - it’s just more proof of the aging mind clinging to distant disparate facts…if they’d knock out all that useless current entertainer/Instagram star c r a p out of Jeopardy I’d jump at the chance to be on the show!

1 Like

I was literally never taught the name of Cibola. All of my history books referred to the cities collectively as the Seven Cities of Gold.

2 Likes

Northerners! Cibola was the one he found - and it was a dusty native village as I recall…

1 Like

Interesting. I’m thinking you may have been brought up in the northeast or midwest? Out west and especially the southwest there are lots of things with Cibola in them. I went to Cibola junior high for instance.

2 Likes

BTW more generally I think it’s a somewhat of a misnomer to term @dstrauss search a unicorn hunt. It’s much more like the Arthurian legend of the holy grail and depending on the day it could be Monty Python or Camelot :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not only a school in the Northeast, but a catholic diocesan school in the urban northeast. The early Spanish Conquistadors were presented to us as spreaders of the Catholic faith in the New World, not so much as treasure hunters. It was a provincial education to say the least.

3 Likes

Okay, Grail-Hunt it is.

Or would Shangri-La be more like Cibola while not requiring a look-up?

OK you kinnigits, you win…

French Taunter - Monty Python and the Holy Grail animated gif

Grail-Hunt it is!

5 Likes

Without a doubt.,…

#monty python from The Gypsy Astronaut

“Now, go away or I shall taunt you again!”

1 Like

Well if Apple does actually give you a pen enabled Mac, they could bring out the Knights who say “Nib”…

And I’m here all week, tip your servers… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Comedic or earnest; it’s always sincere.

Sorry, I love playing word games. What’s the topic again?

Don’t quit your day job old buddy…

2 Likes

Here’s a nice M2 Pro Mac mini teardown video without overemoting foolishness.

2 Likes

Must be a Windows user doing the review - no Apple-ite could restrain themselves that much…oops, I was wrong. His adverbs and adjectives overpowered him…

Update - first 3-4 minutes of this video is a teardown of the M2 Mac Mini - amazing how much smaller the motherboard is…

1 Like

Interesting that the SSD speed controversy (at least in the tech press) continues. Reading in multiple places that the SSD’s are slower across the board from M2 to M2 Pro vs M1 and M1 Pro. In reality, I have no idea how this impacts real life performance (everything is FAST these days to a guy who thought the move from 5.25" to 3.5" floppies was massive). Does seem it is a function of the number of Nand chips per size (in other words, four chips to 1TB is faster than 2 chips to 1TB).

1 Like