iPadOS 16.1

I realize you can’t say anything but here is hoping for a Fold display.

1 Like

So for those that might be considering the LG Dual Up display (probably not many, but…)

As of the latest beta it works properly with stage manager and is actually surprisingly useful with it. Adding to that, the Dual UP is a USBC hub including power delivery, so it is genuinely a one cable solution.

Still not quite enough to make me buy one, though I think it’s a pretty nifty display. (and its quite accurate too)

Here’s a good basic overview of the new Files App post Beta 2:

PS - @Dellaster - I’m going the cheap route and hopefully will be testing out the Samsung 32” 4k BM702 from Best Buy (on sale for $349) next week - it’s also USB-C with three USB-A ports and power delivery to the iPad (or MBP14 but slow at 65W max). It also has TV streaming (smart tv) built in.

2 Likes

So as a reminder that this is BETA and not an official release, there is some discussion on the dev specific board that there is possibly a fairly serious bug related to virtual memory which get’s enabled when you use Stage Manager and/or a high res external display.

The basic issue, that we think we’ve seen with one of our own custom apps. is the VM page file can get out of sync with active RAM. This eventually leads to an app crash, and possible data loss…

It’s hard to say how widespread this is and which apps might be vulnerable (though we think it’s the more memory intensive ones like ProCreate or Word and Excel).

Totally not confirmed or denied by Apple yet, but we think this bug may be behind the rumors that iPadOS 16 may not release at the same time as IOS 16.

So TLDR, it’s good to remember that this is BETA and not official release and should be used with great caution on a production system

1 Like

Thanks for the good reminder - I have a tendency to conveniently forget these facts.

BUT, I just KNEW you were going to tell us the delay was to add MacOS window management to external displays AND announce the M2 iPad Pro with Folio-type Magic Keyboard…hopes dashed again…

2 Likes

That looked unfamiliar until I realized that he has the view set to columns. I’m just using the old familiar icon view which really doesn’t look different from iPadOS 15. I also noticed that, like most reviewers, he is using an iPad Pro 12.9 inch. You get one less column on the 11 inch, or 2/3 less if you set the display to “more space”. Which I also don’t use.

Honestly, most of the iPadOS 16 laptoppy improvements are wasted on me.

2 Likes

I think that’s actually by design on Apple’s part. Not so much here as we are outliers (or oddballs :slight_smile: ) but Apple also knows there is large contingent (including my daughter) that don’t want IOS to become more Mac like.

1 Like

If I were given scopolamine I’d admit that the best “laptop” days on iPadOS 16 don’t match the average day on my (yet unsold) Surface Pro 8.

Then in the famous headline making quote off Monica Chin (The Verge) -

Put MacOS on the iPad, you cowards!

Instead of toggling into and out of Stage Manager, just give us a boot option to boot into MacOS and be done with it. I have read many articles and comments around the Apple-Net, and it is almost a stand off - “Don’t spoil my iPad!” vs ”Give me MacOS” - who cares which camp you are in, very few want the half-a$$ed approach of Stage Manager. Yes, I know, MacOS is poorly designed for touch/pen but let ME make that decision, not fair-haired Craigy trying to run down the hallway in his best Fabio imitation…I don’t think we are outliers - a lot of beta testers that I read say the same thing…

Boy, somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!!!

1 Like

PS - what would Apple do to Parallels if they made a VM that let me load the MacOS from my MBP14 on my iPP11? :thinking:

Never 100% impossible as developers get clever, but due to Apples’ implementation of trusted boot including the requiring of signing of the OS (and which apple is very good in revoking as new OS build are officially released) it’s virtually impossible (pun intended) to do that.

In other words it would only happen if Apple “blessed” it.

1 Like

1 Like

BTW; What is possible at least in theory, would be for someone to create an app that would host a virtualized x86 environment, and the run the x86 version of MacOS because it doesn’t use “signing”. Of course performance would be terrible, and Apple would never approve it for the app store either

I just don’t get WHY Apple won’t just make MacOS an option - afraid of cannibalizing MacBook Air sales? There’s even been a lot of clamoring for a modernized MacBook 12 with M1 or M2 - just give us the iPad MacPro 12 instead…

1 Like

Because “incrementalism.”

3 Likes

You mean the iPad Pro 2027 will be more “Mac-like”?

1 Like

And that is the hallmark of every person that comes from the supply chain side of things. They are many things and Cook is arguably the biggest reason Apple was the first to get to a one trillion valuation, but they will never be disruptive like Jobs was.

2 Likes

Heck, iPadOS 15 was every bit as laptopily functional for me as a Surface Pro, or my GB12. I’m in retirement mode, remember. It would be a different story if I was still working freelance and needed Word w/VB scripts & add-ins, plus a github utility or two. I was completely entrapped by Windows. Now just about any hardware will do for everything except the Windows games I like.

The turning point was official mouse & keyboard support (and, for writing, the Magic Keyboard). Everything since then is welcome, to be sure, but icing on the cake for my needs.

1 Like

Capitalists first - explains their China policy too…almost up there with the NBA…

1 Like

I am so jealous - the MBP14 is saving my bacon now, but it takes two device world at all times to match the SP8 for the business world - and I have one foot in each sphere…

2 Likes

With all this testing of iPadOS 16, my brain had an explosion this morning when it just randomly spit out - what this really needs is a modern version of HyperCard to round out customization!

2 Likes