AMD Ryzen 7945HX3D

This is IMHO a really clever/innovative design tweak and shows why AMD is leading at least in mindshare (if not actual market share, though they continue to gain)

We got hands on with an early prototype of this chip earlier this year due to one of our larger OEM partners approaching AMD about such a design for future products

The proof of course will be how it actually performs in real world systems, but the raw chip design is REALLY. FREAKING. FAST.

AMD Ryzen 7945HX3D could be a fast, super-efficient choice for your new gaming laptop | Ars Technica

2 Likes

I saw a similar article on this earlier this morning. Would the lower power draw with the graphics also help something like a Wacom Mobile Studio Pro get better battery life or am I way off on that guess?

Should be, but the proof again will be in real world systems.

I’m a bit cautious as AMD’s recent history has been to overstate performance and/or efficiency claims such as with the Ryzen in the Rog Ally, which while it seems to be an excellent chip, hasn’t met most of the pre release claims.

2 Likes

I’m just hoping for some sort of breakthrough that can mean a better mobile art device. When I bought my IPP back in 2020 I was torn between it and the Wacom MSP, but ultimately went with the IPP for portability and battery life over the better drawing experience of Wacom. I’m starting to do a few small art projects that are actually selling though, and, since the IPP is a bit older, I’m starting to look into options for an upgrade. Right now I’m torn between just going with a newer M2 IPP or a Huion Kamvas Pro 16. But if power draw actually does get some good gains, maybe I can hold off for awhile longer and see if anyone actually jumps on that train. Seems like a long shot though.

1 Like

Looks interesting. Too bad we won’t get it in a Surface.