Surface Pro 10 Rumors

…And then there’s the Rabbit thing, which I’m waiting for with curiosity…

Our forum exclusive spoiler isn’t so exclusive now… :wink:

Full article

EXCLUSIVE: Microsoft will unveil OLED Surface Pro 10 and Arm Surface Laptop 6 this spring ahead of major Windows 11 AI update

News

By Zac Bowden

published about 2 hours ago

Microsoft’s first AI PCs will be unveiled on March 21, ahead of next-gen Windows 11 AI features coming this fall.

Comments (0)

Microsoft Surface Laptop Go 3 in photos

(Image credit: Daniel Rubino)

What you need to know

• Microsoft will announce a new Surface Pro and Surface Laptop this spring.
  • The devices will feature upgraded displays, new processors, and be the company’s first AI PCs.
  • Intel models will ship in April, and Arm models will ship in June.
  • Plus, details on Windows 11’s upcoming AI features, including a new “AI Explorer” experience.

Microsoft will unveil new Surface Pro and Surface Laptop hardware later this month. My sources say these devices will rival the iPad Pro and MacBook Pro in terms of performance and efficiency. The company will unveil these devices as its first AI PCs, supporting special AI features coming to Windows 11 later this year.

I hear the upcoming Surface Pro 10 and Surface Laptop 6 are expected to be unveiled on March 21. They will be the first Surface PCs to ship with new Intel Core Ultra and Qualcomm Snapdragon X Elite-based processors with next-gen NPUs. I reported back in December that both product lines will be available in either Intel or Arm flavors, a first for the Surface Laptop, which hasn’t had an Arm variant before.

My contacts say these new chips will enable huge performance and efficiency gains over previous Surface Pro and Surface Laptop models. Both devices are expected to achieve true all-day battery life and high-end performance capabilities. The devices will also sport other upgrades, including new displays, ports, and more.

Surface Pro 9

The Microsoft Surface Pro 9. (Image credit: Daniel Rubino)

Specifically, the Surface Pro 10 will feature a similar design to the Surface Pro 9 but with an upgraded anti-reflective OLED screen that’s brighter and supports HDR content. The device will also feature a new ultrawide front-facing webcam enhanced with AI Studio Effects and a built-in NFC reader.

Surface Laptop 6 will feature a more notable design update, including thinner display bezels with rounded corners, a new haptic touchpad, a dedicated Copilot key, and an updated selection of ports, including two USB-C and one USB-A on the left-hand side, and the magnetic Surface Connect charger on the right.

According to my sources, the new Surface Pro 10 and Surface Laptop 6 will ship in two waves, the first of which will begin in April and consist only of the Intel models, followed by the Arm variants later in June. I suspect the ARM versions will feature a customized version of the Snapdragon X Elite, similar to what Microsoft did with the Snapdragon 8cx Gen3 in the Surface Pro 9.

Windows 11’s big AI upgrade comes into focus

Windows 11 Copilot Menu

(Image credit: Windows Central)

The new Surface Pro and Surface Laptop will be some of the first devices on the market to support Windows 11’s upcoming wave of next-gen AI experiences, which will launch later this year. These features include on-device Copilot functionality, a new real-time live captions and translations feature, video game upscaling and frame rate smoothing, enhanced Windows Studio Effects, and a new feature internally called “AI Explorer.”

According to my sources, AI Explorer is the blockbuster AI experience that will separate AI PCs from non-AI PCs. It’s described as an “advanced Copilot” with a built-in history/timeline feature that turns everything you do on your computer into a searchable moment using natural language. It works across any app and allows users to search for previously opened conversations, documents, web pages, and images.

For example, you could type, “Find me that list of restaurants Jenna said she liked,” and Windows can bring up the exact conversation you were having when Jenna mentioned those restaurants. Even vague prompts should work, like “Find me that thing about dinosaurs,” Windows will pull up every word, phrase, image, and related topic about dinosaurs that you’ve previously opened on your computer.

The AI Explorer app can also understand context, help jumpstart projects or workflows, and even suggest tasks based on what’s currently on screen. For example, if you’re looking at an image in an app, the AI Explorer will automatically show an “edit image” button that lets you type out your criteria, such as “remove this image’s background using the Photos app.”

These new AI features are expected to ship as part of the Windows 11 version 24H2 update this fall, meaning AI PCs launching over the summer won’t have this functionality immediately. It’s still unclear if Microsoft will discuss these new AI features on March 21 or if the company plans to wait longer.

Microsoft officials declined to comment on these plans.

1 Like

PPS: Double confirmation of the 11" Surface Pro that is coming soon™️. CC: @Bronsky

https://twitter.com/zacbowden/status/1765057820905660443

1 Like

Sometime next year would be fine. The Pro X is performing quite well for now.

1 Like

Why is it ALWAYS what you want is “coming next year” in a universe that seems to change MONTHLY!

3 Likes

Well, there goes my hope that M$ would leverage the Android Subsystem on Surface Pro 10 WOA for a better tablet experience…

1 Like

Microsoft discontinuing something that they once made a big deal of? Surprising?! :vb_lol:

2 Likes

Begin the countdown on Copilot?

And right on the heels of Microsoft bailing on Android:

Not that many will miss it.

1 Like

Not that it matters that much to me anymore, but why do they prefer WOA on laptops over the 2in1 or the SGo’s form factor?

Latest and likely more accurate rumors.

TLDR: both intel and WOA Pro 10, and a WOA Surface Laptop for the first time. Perhaps @darkmagistric sources are more in the know than mine :grin:

EXCLUSIVE: Microsoft will unveil OLED Surface Pro 10 and Arm Surface Laptop 6 this spring ahead of major Windows 11 AI update | Windows Central

PS: one of my sources that sent this to me also commented that she has heard that the Pro and Laptop WOA devices will be branded as having “SQ PRO” inside. Unclear if that’s a tweaked Nuvia/Snapdragon Pro variant or something else.

2 Likes

From the article:

According to my sources, AI Explorer is the blockbuster AI experience that will separate AI PCs from non-AI PCs. It’s described as an “advanced Copilot” with a built-in history/timeline feature that turns everything you do on your computer into a searchable moment using natural language. It works across any app and allows users to search for previously opened conversations, documents, web pages, and images. [emphasis mine]

How wonderful. Collected and sent back to MS marketing for “AI improvement”, of course. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

My thoughts exactly - it’s only “telemetry” to help improve Copilot…

2 Likes

Any word on starting stoage? Cause 128gb is too low with how windows eats up space these days.

1 Like

Pretty sure via multiple sources that minimum will be 256GB drives this time out. Not because MS is being generous, but supply chain costs are now at or lower prices than 128GB ones.

5 Likes

[WinFuture (In German)] Surface Pro 10 and Laptop 6 Benchmarks Emerge

Full article (translated)

Surface Laptop 6 & Pro 10 launch on March 21; Benchmark reveals CPUs

Microsoft plans to unveil the latest generation of its Surface laptops and tablets in just over two weeks. As innovations of the Surface Pro 10 and Surface Laptop 6 series, only minor improvements are to be expected. Major updates will follow later.

Roland Quandt, 06.03.2024 01:14 pm

Microsoft, Tablet, Logo, Windows 11, Surface, Microsoft Surface, Tablets, 2-in-1, Surface Pro, Stylus, Pen, Surface Pro 9, 2in1

Microsoft

Surface event on March 21, 2024…

As reported by US magazines Windows Central and The Verge alike and already heard from a well-informed source in January, Microsoft plans to officially present the Surface Pro 10 and Surface Laptop 6 on March 21, 2024. However, the really big innovations will probably be postponed to a later date.

… with a focus on business customers

Specifically, The Verge says that Microsoft will initially target commercial and business users of the Surface product lines at the event on March 21, 2024. We will therefore only see small “spec updates” of the Surface Pro and Surface Laptop model series, which will come in an unchanged design and are said to be equipped with updated Intel chips.

Videos about Intel

Specifically, the Surface Laptop 6 and the Surface Pro 10 for business customers are likely to feature the Intel Core 5 135U and the Intel Core 5 135H respectively. This is suggested by benchmark listings that have been on Geekbench for a few weeks now, where Microsoft-typical named devices with the internal codenames "OEMML" and "OEMHT" can be found, which could already be assigned to the Surface Laptop 6 and the Surface Pro 10 in an earlier leak.

Latest Intel ‘Meteor Lake’ CPUs under the hood

These are chips with two or four high-end cores and ten energy-saving cores that can reach clock speeds of up to 4.4 gigahertz and work with a base TDP of 15 and 35 watts, respectively. The two Intel processors each come from the new “Meteor Lake” family and should, at least theoretically, deliver a significant plus in terms of multicore performance.

Overall, the “first wave” of new Surface devices for 2024 is likely to be a disappointment in terms of expected innovations. However, Microsoft probably wants to make sure that it continues to serve the important business customer market, because the major business partners are getting fresh hardware with support for the Intel vPro management functions.

Since the design of the business versions of the Surface Pro 10 and Surface Laptop 6 remains the same, according to the report, there will probably be no ARM-based models of these devices just yet. There are also no major innovations, although we will probably see them at a later date in the course of the year, as is now also becoming apparent. It might be conceivable that Microsoft will first release a teaser for the consumer versions at the business launch on March 21.

Summary

• Microsoft unveils Surface Pro 10 and Laptop 6 on March 21
  • New generation with only minor improvements
  • Major updates for Surface devices planned for later
  • Focus on business users at upcoming event
  • Updated Intel chips in an unchanged design
  • Intel Core 5 135U/H expected from the “Meteor Lake” family
  • No ARM models, design remains the same for business versions
1 Like

Maybe Phonelink/Yourphone is also used more than Android apps on W11? (/for the Samsung phone users).

So MS is relatively on time with Meteor Lake but that business SKU’s will be released possibly sooner than the consumer SKU’s (?).
I recently upgraded from Go 2 to Pro 7+ and have to say I am really enjoying using the device (apart from some Windows quirks). When the day arrives that the version with 32 gb ram is somewhat affordable I think I will upgrade my 2 in 1 laptop to a Surface Pro or clone as well.

3 Likes

Thats weird…I was trying to reply to Dellaster’s post from 3 days ago regarding the death of the Android Apps on Windows…but it seems my reply ended up as an edit in his post. weird.

Yeah, @darkmagistric , I got a notification about the edit and it confused the heck out of me. I have deleted your post within my post so you can try again. Hopefully it’ll work properly next time. :vb_headscratch:

@Hifihedgehog — Maybe something messed up somewhere?

2 Likes

So since quote/replys are acting kind of Funky

In regards to the Death of Android on Windows

Its like on one hand its upsetting, but on another hand it was such a worthless feature since the Amazon App store had nothing of worth to download. I was hoping eventually Full Google Play Store access would one day be in the cards. But if that was never going to come anyway, then why even waste the development effort.

7 Likes