Need a Tablet (+/- A5 format, NOT Apple) and an App for visually organized ("Bullet Journal like" somehow) handwritten study notes

Do the note-taking Android apps usually save files in a native format that I can’t open in Windows?
If not, I do not need any fancy sync function. I can move files via USB, BT or (when it works) the Android’s Filesharing function, right?

The S7(+) uses Wacom EMR, right?
And both the Surface Go 2 and 3 or the Pro 7-8 still use N-Trig? With the same Pen released back then with the Pro 5?
And you prefer EMR over N-Trig I guess?

I think the most important question is still: where do I find the best apps/programs for “aesthetic” handwritten notes?
Windows or Android?

I think most will probably have some sort of export to a file type you can open in Windows. I suppose my main question is, what do you want to do with the files in Windows once you get it there? Is it just to look back on and review? Do you want to edit it from Windows? Understanding your full use case is going to make this more or less important.

Yes

Sort of, MS bought N-Trig back in the day and has updated the technology some. The current pens are much better then where they were in the N-Trig days, though not necessarily as good as Wacom.

Yes. Both for accuracy, and the fact that they don’t need to be charged.

There are far more apps on Android for this sort of thing than on Windows. That doesn’t mean the Android apps are better. There are just more of them. Windows still really doesn’t focus on “Apps” as much as full fledged desktop applications, which, while technically could be considered the same thing, really still aren’t. However, Windows may have the “better” app for your needs. You’d really just need to do some research for what you want. There are plenty of YouTube videos that review things like this. You can also see demo videos of apps on the respective app stores.

I just did a quick search and found a few that might work for you.

I found an app called “May: Beautiful Bullet Journal” for Android that looks like it has some visual notes options. It exports to PDF so you can open it on a Windows machine. It has several things to make a bullet journal more aesthetic.

There is an app called NoteLedge that is available for both Windows and Android that looks to sync notes across devices that also might work well.

If you go straight Windows, Microsoft Journal is a journalling app that supports pen and seems to be pretty robust.

2 Likes

Of course I do research.
Although I do not have a laptop with touchscreen, I did download some apps for Windows. Unfortunately the free versions suck biiiiiiiiiig time.

I have found a Surface Pro X for a very payable price and it’s even in my own town (which has pro and cons. I can try it, but I do not have PayPal buyer protection in case some hidden flaws appear later).
I have been reading and a guy in Reddit compare the S7+ with the Pro X and says that Windows in tablet doesn’t really work well, the automatic rotation sucks (I do not really use that though), the 3:2 format is better for productivity but the Pro X is more difficult to hold, and he claims that the handwritten note-taking experience is much better on the S7+.

I guess I am in that annoying situation when you have reduced your options to two (well, three actually, because I might afford the Surface Pro 7+ -used of course). And there is little I can do to know before buying how I will really feel about it.
I already abused a lot of Amazon returns lately, so I am in a tight position about buying both to try them and then return them both (to buy one of them cheaper used), which is mean but as long as the seller is Amazon why not, fuck Bezos.

Dilemma.
I guess I can still resell if I am not happy.

I have a Pro X. Its a decent tablet. As far as windows working in a tablet, I have used windows tablets since 2009 and will probably never go back to a laptop. The Surface line transitions perfectly from tablet to keyboard/laptop to docked desktop. I never touch the touchpad, preferring to use the touchscreen for all my navigation. Occasionally, I will use the pen to navigate but can normally get by with just my finger.

I have no problems with screen rotation. I use the Pro X quite a bit in portrait mode. I have the SQ2 version and I recommend that one. I also have LTE built in.

I have had some issues using emulation for legacy programs. The program seems to not like really large files. But, if you are methodical and back up frequently, even the largest files can be worked with. That is the one place where the 7+ probably has the advantage. The other thing is that the Intel power has far better graphics than the SQ2 in the Pro X. I have reached the limits of the integrated GPU a number of times editing out segments of a video interview.

Unfortunately the Pro X I find for only 350 Euro in my city has SQ1.

Yeah, I had read about the legacy issues.
That’s why I was looking if I can find the Pro 7+ cheap. Supposedly with the 7+ it should even be maybe possible to install the normal Windows in case the Stripped will feel limited (I never used it, so I don’t know what to expect).
What would be the typical legacy programs that could be problematic?
I do not plan to do much really on this device, but handwritten note-taking.
At some point I will have to do some presentation and I hope that Libreoffice will work fine.

Also no idea how much of a problem the WiFi5 instead of 6 will be.

But 350 is a good price.
The Tab S7+ I can’t find it for less than 450. Maybe I get one for 420 if I am lucky. It’s already not in budget but what can I say, better to stretch the budget than to curse a product every time I use it.

We have found a worthy heir to the dstraussing empire. Hail our new Overlord.

1 Like

From the sounds of it, you have specific enough requirements that I think your initial price range is unrealistic. If you can stretch your budget, it’s better to buy new with a 30 day return policy, so that you can adequately test if the machine meets your needs (or lower your expectation for your first tablet).

Inking requires a great deal of personalization and experimentation to get right. Many of us have used tablets for decades and are still making refinements to our favourite inking setups. So perhaps, let’s first decide what your max budget would be.

I truly can’t decide my budget. The budget decides me.
The 350 for the Pro X (SQ1) were my limit.
I was initially opting for the Tab S7 which I can find around 300.
But I started to feel that although for normal note-taking 11" would be ok, for visual notes with forms, drawings, and pics of the flipchart, the 11" might be limited even in landscape mode.
So, I moved to S7+ but no chance under 450.
So I started investigating on Surface Pro.
That’s the story.

Wow, I did not think it would be so difficult.
Man, it’s just handwritten notes. Sure, I need an app which offers at least basic forms which I can reposition and redimension. But who would have imagined that it would be such a challenge.

This is what I’m referring to. Your intended inking encompasses so many possible usecases, that only experimentation will pin down exactly what best fits your needs.

You seem to really value getting it right the first time, so I can only say that having a return policy is the best.

Or, stay at ~300 and mentally prepare yourself that the tablet may fall short of your needs, but will form a good knowledge foundation for your next tablet purchase, where you can be much more precise.

yes, that’s another reason why I am trying to find a really good price, so if I sell it again I might get the whole sum back.
But I guess that it’s that point already, where the amount of effort put into damage-prevention is not worth the possible damage.
I hope the water is not too cold, I guess I am going to jump soon.
I will now watch some random anime to postpone the decision a bit longer in the clearly naive hope that some miracle happens and someone tells me “buy this, it’s 100% sure what you need” and/or I find something so cheap that buying is a no brainer.
:wink:

1 Like

If you have such a strict budget, then my suggestion is to buy a new Tab S6 Lite and test it. It will perform similar to the S7 with a smaller screen. If it’s too small for your use case, but otherwise works ok, you will at least know that the S7 or S7+ will work and can look for a good deal there, and return the new S6 Lite with ease.

1 Like

I’ll also say go with the S6 Lite, as I recommend before.

For your use case, you don’t need a powerful tablet and it’s powerful enough to not lag with anything but the most graphics heavy games. The Wacom EMR in the S6 Lite is almost as good as the S7, etc. and far more than you need.

It’s available on Amazon for less than €300 (or a bit more if you want more storage), and that way you get no questions asked return. With your budget, there’s really no other good option.

You’re tying yourself in knots here, risking it with used machines that either far more than you need or actually worse for it.

You don’t need perfect tilt. You don’t need a laminated display. You don’t need Windows.

Sorry if that came across as harsh; but sounds like you need someone to just tell exactly what to do.

1 Like

I would go to opposite route and go with the Pro X. The style of notetaking takes up a lot of space and I think the bigger screen is better in this use case. The Surface pen is perfectly good for drawing notes, and it’s the biggest screen for the buck among the options. The SQ1 is plenty for notes. I’m typing this from my Pro X, so this may be some confirmation bias talking. Take my advice with a grain of salt.

Does the Pro X come with a pen? If you’re at the limit of your budget, you have to make sure it comes with everything you need. The Samsung tablets come with pen in the box, but Microsoft’s don’t.

I know you’re drowning in decision paralysis here, but I would recommend watching a handful of videos of notetaking on the Pro X. Yes, the apps are more limited, but you have OneNote if you want the extra organization and infinite canvas, and you have Journal if you just want a clean space to work with. You have any number of PDF readers that can draw on a blank page. There’s a Goodnotes beta for Windows. Several bullet journals come up in the Windows Store, but I have no experience with any of them.

1 Like