Microsoft Surface Pro 9

@Desertlap thank you so much for that level of detail it really helps a ton. I have spent so much money on tablet devices I am still hesitant to pull the trigger on this one, so one additional clarification question asked from a point of ignorance please. I do understand x86 emulation and it appears to still be making a really big difference in battery life, which in all honesty is my single main concern at this point.

So my question is in the following scenarios am I using emulation or not?

• a website that is being run as an app in an edge browser

• an app running within the android subsystem

• OneDrive

• core Microsoft Office desktop apps

And more specifically how are you determining the emulation? In the past I ran the app and then looked at the process running in task manager but not sure if that is the correct way or not. Thanks.

1 Like

Ok ,so to answer as best possible your questions…

Web apps- native, unless they make use of a non native plug in- Those are actually fairly rare at this point with the most notable hold out being some of the more obscure videos codecs, not the mainstream such as VP9 or HEVC.

As of earlier this year the Android subsystem is completely native as it is running arm64 executables. Prior to that it did have code to run intel based android code, but they removed it several revisions back.

One drive is native now

Core MS_ apps almost all of the core Office executables except Project, and Visio. Some of the plug in such as the VBA based ones are still x86. Most common with Excel, but a few remain in in Word and Power Point as well.

We built an app with help from MS to detect and determine when apps are running fully or partially in emulation. Emulation in some core ways (pun intended) runs like a virtual machine for all intents and purposes including protected memory and reserved instruction and function calls. Our app detects those calls as well as a system flag that WOA uses whenever emulation is active.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Also, one dead giveaway that you can see with any CPU monitoring tool, is that emulation only uses (and often pounds) the performance cores.

3 Likes

Awesome much thanks.

1 Like

Positive review for Pro 9 5G (overal fair review I think, although I personally disagree with the surface charger being useless). Surface Pro 9 with 5G review: Windows on Arm keeps getting better (xda-developers.com)

2 Likes

Interesting observation in that article…

“I’m also loving Windows 11’s Android support. Thanks to being able to run proper tablet apps like Amazon Kindle, this has been my only tablet for the last couple of weeks, allowing me to cast both my laptop and my iPad aside.”

I still want to know if WOA is really more battery efficient, or just the fact of more battery in the larger Intel-size cage?

2 Likes

YES. YES, YES,

Seriously though and dependent on how much you use emulation, we peg it at about 25% or so even after factoring in the bigger battery in the Pro 9 versus Pro x

PS: since you use office and acrobat primarily you’d see in in the low 30s %

3 Likes

Riddle me this old wise one - other than better battery life and 5g, what do I really gain over my “old” SP8 i5/LTE?

1 Like

You also get the AI oriented cores which to start with improve video calls both in image quality and audio such as echo reduction. And as developers adopt it. even more stuff and there is now a toolkit specifically for them in Visual Studio.

3 Likes

PS: Cortana, if you use it is noticeably faster as are any of the Android apps you may run. In fact the Pro 9 5g is among the very fastest Android tablets if you use it that way

2 Likes

My apologies - should read (think) before I write - the xda author emphasized no additional battery in the WOA model - just empty space (OK MS - make that an upgrade SPECIAL and fill that puppy).

“With the Intel and Qualcomm models being called the Surface Pro 9, they need to both fit in the same cases. That means that both variants have to be designed for the least common denominator. And of course, the least common denominator is Intel. That extra space doesn’t seem to be used for anything, since both models have the same size battery.”

1 Like

BTW: just so I don’t seem as all sunshine about the Pro 9 5G, one area where the Intel Pro 9 is superior is Bluetooth.

It’s not a huge difference, but both range and throughput are a bit better.(10-20%) That as much as anything is a qualcomm legacy generally, whereas Intel has really embraced it with modern core I chipsets

3 Likes

I think you shouldn’t be asking questions about WOA at this stage, @dstrauss. Knowing you, the next step is springing for the SP9 5g, and setting yourself up for a huge disappointment. Leave it to “coolheaded” for now😀.

4 Likes

@Nnthemperor - not a snowball’s chance of WOA for this pea brain!

1 Like

Well, I have an SQ3 model coming now from ITsavvy. The sad part is this week I am pretty much maxed out. I will try to fit it in but will do my best!

2 Likes

Did you get another demo unit special…

Yes sir. $911.15 for 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD model.

1 Like

Uh oh…

1 Like

Hmm. Are you entering the rabbit hole with @JoeS?

No, but that is a heck of a price if you already have a signature cover, pen, and 1tb SSD… :thinking:

2 Likes

Different rabbit hole. I’m at the entrance of the Surface Duo rabbit hole, and escaped the audiophile headphone rabbit hole mostly unscathed (well… $233 poorer, but could have been worse). Still HODL on my SLS. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes