Leaving Windows for the Walled Garden - Grail Hunt

Shhh! Don’t go around blabbing it to everyone, or you will blow my cover!

@bot chuck norris

ok gotta try.

@bot Monty Python

No Monty Python command, but it’d be easy to whip up a script that spits out gifs or quotes. These are the ready-made commands I can add:

https://hubot-script-catalog.herokuapp.com/

3 Likes

We require…a shrubbery!.. :rofl:

2 Likes

“NEE”

2 Likes

My all time favorite though is from Life of Brian.

Brian, to his followers " F$$$ Off !"
Follower: “How shall we F$$$ Off oh lord ?”

2 Likes

“It’s only a flesh wound!”

3 Likes

Bumbags are very handy, especially when running.

Yes, bumbags.

And thank you forum software for deeming bumbag appropriate language. Not without the ‘bag’ though. ‘Fanny’ is apparently fine though. :smirk:

I SURVIVED THE BEST BUY RETURN DEADLINE!

Yesterday was the last day to return my MacBook Pro 14, which I am using to write this post. The experiment has now become the new workflow. Thanks for all the comments and thoughts for the last 45 days…

8 Likes

You know that isn’t saying much, right?

3 Likes

Ding dong, you’re wrong - means I kept a device for 46 DAYS! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

I suppose this fits here as a general topic rather than create a new one…

Maybe this is old news to others. On a whim I plugged a USB-C to USB-A adapter into my iPad mini 6 with the Microsoft wireless dongle and it worked! My Microsoft sculpt ergonomic keyboard and mouse operated flawlessly for me after I changed the iPadOS hardware keyboard setting to US Dvorak.

Which means I won’t have to give up my favorite (by far) keyboard and mouse combination with an iPad as I thought I would. Which means switching my writing to the Walled Garden of Happiness is more viable than I believed it was. It’s like a whole new world has opened up before me…

Now I almost regret buying the Magic Keyboard to go with the M1 iPad Pro 11 I just bought. Then again, I don’t always want to write at my desk with the Microsoft keyboard setup, which isn’t even slightly portable. I’ll just have to see how much I like typing on it.

My USB-C - USB-A adapters are all the type with a length of cord on them and I saw that the most popular adapter for the Mac was half off on Amazon, so a pair are on order now.
https://www.amazon.com/Syntech-Adapter-Thunderbolt-Compatible-MacBook/dp/B07CVX3516

1 Like

First impressions of the Magic Keyboard: a) it’s more solid than most (any?) recent keyboards I’ve used, the feeling is kinda like it was carved out of solid metal, keys* and all; b) key travel and tactile response is better than the Surface Go keyboard cover (I used them next to each other, back and forth); c) it’s clear to me that the relatively heavy weight is intentional, meant to counterbalance the weight of the iPad Pro while still being “lapable” (which it is). No kickstand digging into my thighs; the keyboard doesn’t flex at the front edge, tilting one way or the other if I dare to shift my leg. In other words, it feels like I’m typing on a laptop instead of a two-piece thing.

I sound like a fanboy. Oh well, if the shoe fits. I only care that it looks like it’s a winner for me. I’ll reserve final judgment until the iPP 11 arrives. Which might be a while since it’s still only showing “label created” on UPS tracking. :vb-rolleyes:

*okay, the keys are unmistakably plastic but they don’t wobble.

Edit: happily it turned out to be a legit $187 deal, brand new in original Apple packaging. Unhappily the deal is dead and the next best $217 offer at Walmart is from a seller with mixed ratings. YMMV, caveat emptor.

3 Likes

So it’s the cat’s meow? You’re right that it does more than any other keyboard to make the iPad Pro a “laptop” - if only Apple would get with the program(ming) and deliver a worthy iPadOS…

1 Like

I seriously consider buying a magic keyboard for my 11 every time I use my daughters 12.9 and magic keyboard. Both keyboard and track pad are comparable to what Apple provides with a MacBook Air.

My two deal killers are that it’s heavy and that there is no way , unlike the folio to fold it behind the tablet. In other words to use it as tablet you have to take it off the keyboard.

That being said, Apple has made that as relatively seamless as possible with the magnetic attachment. And as an insight as to what the company line is on such things, regardless of iPad in use, when Apple employees I’ve observed, use any iPad as handheld tablet, they remove either the folio or magic keyboard entirely. In other words even with the folio, they don’t fold it behind the tablet

2 Likes

That would be me as well so I’m not concerned about it. I have a DBrand skin ready to apply instead of having it in a cover when not on the MK.

I normally do the same thing to my Go. When I am using it as a tablet, I detach it from the keyboard cover, even though the cover is light enough to reverse and fold it over on the back of the tablet. Nevertheless, I normally take off the keyboard, put it back in the case and use the tablet naked. :vb-agree:

I also will take a keyboard completely off if I can. I did it when I had the keyboard cover for my pro x. I have the slim book cover for my S7+ and will sometimes fold the keybaord back, but more often I’ll take it off completley. Same story for the galaxy book. Magnetic attachments are wonderful.

4 Likes

I do that all the time with my WOA Book 2, but I’m less tempted to do the same with my iPad Pro 10.5 because the “smart” keyboard is also its stand. Result: while iOS devices make for way better tablets, I detach the keyboard from my Book 2 more often than from my iPad Pro! :open_mouth: