iPadOS 16.1

That sounds almost worse than the wiggly-icon-h3ll while trying to organize your home screen.

1 Like

That’s actually a good analogy…

1 Like

This is must reading if you are using (or even interested in) iPadOS 16:

The author is a noted iPad expert and he does an excellent job of explaining the fundamentals of using the new Stage Manager paradigm. It makes a lot more sense to me now, and is making me rethink 11 vs 12.9 models (if only 12.9 had a light weight and less bulky keyboard).

I still think I’m right though about window behavior on an external monitor!

3 Likes

Yes he’s the hardest of the hardcore iPad advocates. We’ve seen him at some industry trade shows, demoing and advocating for the iPad, though I’ve heard sniping by some that he comes across as an Apple shill. And he actually may be to some degree, but there’s no doubt in my mind he knows his tuff

Reading that reminds me of the philosophical conundrum/life choice: if things are not as you wish them to be do you change the world or do you change yourself? iPadOS will infuriate the kind of person who likes to make the UI just as they want it, e.g. Windows/Linux users who choose just the right window manager for their taste. I saw heated debates about it when POP!_OS came out with a built-in windowing manager that wasn’t infinitely adjustable.

I guess I’m the sort who adapts to the world, so to speak, in this area. Perhaps because I bought my first Mac in 1984 and didn’t use anything else till 1997. I had to adapt to the Apple way. And unlike many others I didn’t have issues with Windows 8.

Anyway, it’s good that Windows and Linux still exist for the “change the world” types. :vibing_cat:

1 Like

It’s a constant struggle for me…

2 Likes

I’m not making a new topic for it but I’ve put my iPhone 13 Pro on iOS 16 beta and my Watch SE is downloading Watch OS 9 beta. Going all-in. :smile_cat:

3 Likes

OMG - incredibly BRAVE or absolutely INSANE! Which is it Ted?

1 Like

Ask me later. :vb-embarassed-laugh:

1 Like

Everything is fine so far. Phone & watch fully functional. There’s new stuff here and there but if I don’t seek them out it’s almost like I never updated. I like what they’ve done to the lock screen notifications. :+1:

1 Like

This is an interesting article, though not so much about his opinion is right, wrong, or somewhere in-between (my take).

But what I find fascinating about stage manager with those in the beta (and a handful of our customers checking it out) is how polarizing it already seems to be on the Mac side. while it’s nearly 100% positive on the iPad side (though there is much discussion about features lacking or poorly implemented) .

Apple users are far more loyal than with almost any other brand, to the point they have been called a cult, by some, but the downside is that they also can be difficult for Apple to move forward.

And FWIW I do like the less clutter aspect that Stage Manager brings to the Mac, but at the same time It almost feels like being forced to adopt certain ways of doing things that have not typically been part of the Mac experience, while being the norm for IOS.

Hands on with Stage Manager in Apple’s macOS Ventura | Mashable

Frankly, I dread Stage Manager on the MacOS side - it just seems like another way to ALT-Tab (oops, guess that’s CMD-Tab in Apple-world).

I doubt I’ll ever use it much on Mac OS or iPad. I am a one task at a time type of person nowadays. True, it requires three open apps to play Stellaris (Steam, Paradox Launcher, and Stellaris itself) but I don’t need to have them displayed for choosing.

I actually like it (it is inherently more organized IMHO), but it many ways it does seem like change for the sake of change.

OTOH, looking at it from a possible Apple perspective, I’m sure they are considering all of their users that started with an iPhone, added an iPad and are now considering a full fledged “get work done” system and making it more IOS like makes a lot of sense.

And FWIW, that’s the trend I see as inevitable, which is the Mac OS is going to become more IOS like, and not the other way around.

1 Like

I think this is spot on, and I can see Mac’s becoming a thing of the past over the next 5-10 years, if not sooner.

1 Like

Back to iPadOS 16 Beta 3

Stability: It is very stable when used on the iPad Pro only, but still crashes (a lot) on an external monitor. By “crash” I mean it usually does a soft reset and you have to configure your apps back on the external screen - not a hard reset.

Microsoft 365: This also works pretty well on the iPad alone, but you can’t use the “+” window option to open additional instances of Word or Excel. I use the individual programs (not the Office program) so I can pull up the dock and start a second (up to four) instances of Word or Excel to look at multiple drafts…BUT

iCloud Dependency: Still near impossible to get all of my documents into folders on the local iPad drive, so opening multiple docs is near totally dependent upon access to iCloud online, where my MBP14 and iCloud keep everything synched. This is a real hassle for this old foggie who relies on his hierarchical file structure to keep his brain engaged.

Back to Old Ways: If I have to closely examine two docx or xlsx files, I need to drop out of Stage Manager and use split view - otherwise I waste forever trying to get two windows side by side, using the whole 11” desktop, in Stage Manager…

2 Likes

So one observation for the morning based on feedback so far from both our internal users and a handful of customers that are trying out the IOS 16 beta, specifically Stage Manager.

The thing that stands out besides that many like it, is that It’s far better on the 12.9 pro and for that matter only truly shines on an external large high res display. Almost to a person, myself included, people are finding the 11 “cramped” and that its much better on the 12.9 especially if you want to use it more than just occasionally.

So that in my mind puts the rumors of an even larger iPad in a new light. In other words does Apple already know this, and that the rumored 14.6 is in essence an optimized IOS16 stage manager device?

2 Likes

BTW: I’ve heard a similar school of though with Samsung’s DEX. eg. usable on the Tab 8, very good on the S8 +, and optimum on the Tab S8 Ultra

BTW2: If they do release an ever bigger iPad Pro, I really hope they rework the magic keyboard. The one for the 12.9 is already quite a brick, and I can only imagine what the 14.6 version would be like

1 Like

As much as I agree with you on this, even with all that weight, the balance can be a bit precarious at times on the 12.9 in my lap. Granted, the lapability of a 14.6 inch version changes anyway. I just think of the old days when a 17" laptop weight like 4+ lbs and we considered it “svelte”. It was because we were finally getting portability instead of being tied to a desk. Comparison is the thief of joy. Would a 14.6 with a very heavy Magic Keyboard do what a lot of people want in spite of the weight? Probably, and do it better than a lighter keyboard. Would people accept it? It is Apple, they might put enough spin on it to make weight be considered a good thing.