iPadOS 16.1

You can, but I meant that each iPad only has one unique login/passcode/fingerprint/face, so you can’t securely and conveniently share the device with others.

2 Likes

Phuu.
Yeah, not like on Android where you even can have a guest account and turn it over to someone else.

I have unenrolled from iOS, iPad OS, and Apple Watch betas. They’re stable for me and the iOS & Watch should get a normal update soon (Wednesday?). I don’t care enough about Stage Manager to stick around beta to see what they do over the next month on iPadOS 16 beta.

My Mac mini is updating to public beta 4 as I write and if it doesn’t look flakey I’ll unenroll it, too (I have seen no comments about bad things on MacRumors, et al). I’m unsure when MacOS Ventura goes into normal release but the beta has been stable for me. I can let it ride on this last beta version.

Surprise - Apple extends Stage Manager to earlier iPad Pro’s, but no external display support for them; surprise 2 - no external display support (for now) for M1 iPad Pros as well - said to return in next update:

1 Like

Wait, if it is flakey you’ll stay and see just how flakey? Those are some serious cat cojones.

That wasn’t very clear was it? I meant that if public beta 4 wasn’t doing anything weird then it would be safe to unenroll it and just hold on until the official Ventura release rather than keep rolling the dice on further beta updates. Which is what I have done.

1 Like

Some more grist for the iPadOS 16.1 saga, but they seem to imply no external monitor support until “later this year” which implies to me official release won’t include external monitor support…

https://9to5mac.com/2022/09/27/stage-manager-ipad-support/#comments

D@mn it Apple, just let us CHOOSE to dual boot iPadOS or MacOS as we need, give us a release to sign if we’re dumb enough to do it, and be done with it already!!!

1 Like

The definition of an ambitious release from Apple isn’t a waiver to sign your life away when you get the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to test drive a McLaren F1 on the Autobahn. It’s only permission to walk out your own front door and only after you have double checked with them first via video chat that your shoes are tied and you left a generous tip for paperboy Tim.

1 Like
As likely and with as smooth a result as…

1 Like

So I’m dubious about how useful stage manager actually is solely on the built in display of the 11 pro especially, though I do think it’s quite useful on something like a 27 inch monitor

But what continues to irk me is do any of these writers actually listen to what Apple says? Specifically that support for Stage Manager on external displays REQUIRES support for virtual memory which is only on M1 or later?

Regardless it does seem to work reasonably well, though we’ve seen some chugging and pausing with some apps.

Testing Stage Manager on a 2018 iPad Pro With the New iPadOS 16.1 Beta - MacRumors

OTOH, given the support for the A12Z, strictly from a chip standpoint, there isn’t any reason they couldn’t bring to the A15 Bionic as well, which of course is what is in the 6th gen iPad Mini

1 Like

This is an improvement for making stage manager more usabel on the pro 11 IMHO

iPadOS 16 Beta Expands ‘Zoomed Out’ Display Option to Older 11-Inch iPad Pros - MacRumors

2 Likes

@Desertlap - any idea why they removed external monitor support entirely in this beta rather than keeping it restricted to M1 iPad Pro’s only?

2 Likes

change to a couple of chip level function calls is what we’ve heard which will require a firmware update to systems out in the wild already

2 Likes

So I assume that’s how they segregate M1 from non-M1 to enable external monitor support.

1 Like

yes external display support requires virtual memory and that is only available in the M1 and later chips

2 Likes

and BTW the firmware change is supposed to better identify the various technical aspects of the external display such as resolution(s), supported HDMI or DisplayPort versions/protocols, supported color space(s), default gamma, etc.

3 Likes

Well, today is iPadOS 16.1 release day, BUT without external display support in Stage Manager. However, one little nugget posted by Apple says it will be released “Later this year” and will include the ability to drag and drop files and windows between the iPad and external display, something that was alwasy missing in the betas of iPadOS 16…

1 Like

I think I’ll wait another week.

1 Like

I’m going to load today, only because I’m still having strange moments with the final beta of iPadOS 16.1 - battery drain, a few app crashes (Kindle app for one)…HOWEVER…but for Photos and FaceTime, I find I’m almost never using my iPP11 anymore. it’s just dead weight in my bag…

1 Like

So that’s a bit of an about face, considering where you were awhile back when you were fully in the Apple garden.

Not a criticism, in fac I think sometimes it takes going “all in” on an alternative to see the benefits of what you already and the developed workflows associated with it.

OTOH re: facetime and iPhoto, an iPad mini might make more sense for you specifically?

2 Likes