Emoji pane takes a while to appear

Just noticed this a few times today: the emoji pane that pops up when you hit the reaction button takes 8-9 seconds to open on my snappy iPhone with 5G connection. Everything else is nice and quick.

Is anyone else seeing this, or just me?

1 Like

Mine pops up after a half second on my Macbook. I honestly don’t really use the site from mobile, so can’t comment there.

2 Likes

No issues here. I have an iPhone 15 Pro Max on Verizon 5G with four bars of reception and it pops up within a matter of a second.

1 Like

Same on my Galaxy Note 10.

Weird. My iPhone 13 Pro, ATT 4G 2-bars is also slow bringing up the emojis. 5-6 seconds. But my iPad mini 6 using that same iPhone as a hotspot brings it up nearly instantly. So I have to guess it’s not the cellular connection at fault.

Yup, the iPhone is still slow on WiFi, even though the WiFi hotspot is on the same ATT service. iPad is instant on that WiFi.

2 Likes

I wonder if it has to do with the eight (!) extra emoji categories that have been added, like “r/apple” etc. Perhaps some browsers or browser settings make that entire panel load before showing it?

1 Like

Maybe. Though I have no idea what setting(s) those might be. I don’t recall any fine tuning in Safari on either iPhone or iPad. :akkoshrug:

It’s instant on Pixel Fold using a Chromium browser (Vivaldi) FWIW. And after the first time scrolling through all of them they appear to be cached and not need loading again. At least until something clears the cache.

1 Like

For me it’s Safari iPhone, and it takes about nine seconds every time. I just did it twice in a row, still nine seconds. I do have 1Blocker running, maybe that messes something up.

1 Like

Yeah, it was my iPhone only despite being set up identically to my iPad mini 6. Same Safari, same blockers, same wifi, etc. iPhone six or so seconds, iPad instant. 'Tis a mystery on the same scale as the site refusing to load for folding phone users in some instances that a non folding phone has no problem with.

2 Likes

I have the slow load on the Note 10 with Android 12 and Microsoft Launcher.

2 Likes

@here, sorry to hear that some of you may be experiencing undesirable slowness in loading the emojis. Experiences may vary depending on your browser, device performance, Internet bandwidth and latency, and Internet Service Provider (ISP) throttling. As a counter example, Discord, which uses a similar emoji system, can have varying performance for users given that a large collection of small animated GIF images represents a heavy random read task across the traditionally high latency Internet which is a recipe for bottlenecking. There is no fix per se other than connection quality, device performance, and browser selection. Speaking for myself anecdotally, I see no delay in pulling up the emoji pane on my Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max in Safari over Comcast Gigabit Extra at home and Verizon 5G out and about. As far as Safari extensions, I have Dark Reader, 1Blocker, Advanced Profanity Filter, and Capital One Shopping installed and enabled.

1 Like

It really seems to come down to “does your browser first load the entire emoji panel and THEN show it” or “does your browser show the panel while loading any missing emoji”.

For Safari on iOS unfortunately it is the former. On the upside, it gives me ten seconds to reconsider if I do in fact want to leave an emoji. (waits ten seconds) :sweat_smile:

Is there any setting either on iPhones or in Discourse that can force the “show then load” behavior?

And if not, would it be OK to trim down the current set a bit? I personally don’t think we need all the added ones. As it is we seem to have between 1500 and 2000 emoji. :exploding_head:

Video below of the load time (you see the emoji icon turn dark gray when I tap it) followed by me scrolling through the fairly long list of options.

1 Like