Best PDF Annotation Software

So… now that Drawboard has removed pressure sensitive ink (unless you cough up 50 smackaroos every year), what is currently the best Windows PDF annotation app/software with pressure sensitive ink?

I’m looking for

• pressure sensitive ink
  • toolbar with multiple colored pens and highlighters
  • easy panning/zooming
  • ink that remains in editable form (PDFA converts to bitmap?)
  • a buy-once profit model, OR a reasonable subscription price (<$15/yr)

Note that I’m basically describing Drawboard, minus their awful new pricing model. :sob: (Edit: with educational discount it drops to $25/yr for the first two years).

Xodo free only allows 3 simultaneous tabs, which is too constraining for me.

I used to have a paid version of Grahl’s PDF Annotator. Never really loved it, and apparently upon saving it still converts markups to bitmap (true?).

I used to like PDF Revu, but this too got too big/fancy, focused on markup of construction drawings/blueprints. Upwards of $240 per license.

Edge Browser. No pressure sensitive ink unfortunately.

Foxit reader, one from the early Win8 crop. Didn’t trust them very much at the time, not sure if they’re even still around.

Any others that might fit the bill (and the budget)?

1 Like

As already mentioned, Xournal++ can do most of that.

• The panning and zooming is a bit slow
  • I’ve found it to not be the most stable
  • No auto-recovery
  • Looks a bit dated/open-sourcey
  • No tabs
  • To remain editable, you have to save into its own format - if you want a PDF you need to export as one
2 Likes

I am confused. I do not see where PDF
Annotator is a subscription.

From their website:

“”#### Is a license a one time purchase, or a subscription?
Our licenses are perpetual.
The license fee is a one time payment, no subscrition.
You will receive a perpetual license for our current version 9.
Once a new major version (with new, additional features) gets released, you can either upgrade at a (discounted) upgrade rate, or stay with your version.

We also offer Upgrade Assurance (“2 Years Upgrades and Support”), which would include those upgrades as well. Upgrade Assurance can get renewed every second year, so this would be the only cost to stay up to date with our latest versions at all times."

They have upgraded to area calculation drawing, measurements, & dimension.
I like PDF Annotator for what I use it for.
I am still on the XP version, but do not want to get into a subscription.

1 Like

Another look at LiquidText by Paperless X:

LiquidText for PDF reading on the iPad | everything you need to know (2023) - YouTube

I may be writing some law review articles soon, and this appeals to my research urges.

3 Likes

Wow. You do have some time on your hands. :vb-agree:

1 Like

I have a desk drawer full of outlines and notes for them - which I could not publish lest I be seen as antagonizing the powers that be to the detriment of my then employer. :grimacing:

1 Like

Sounds like a clear case of issue preclusion to me.

If you don’t want to pay for a PDF annotation app at all.
Xournal ++ and PDFgear are Completely free on windows. They are really good, no subscription at all.

3 Likes