Which operating system is best?

Is this really even a valid discussion in 2022? And of course PCMag is going to declare Windows the winner…

The actual article does bring out some useful distinctions between them, but doesn’t go nearly far enough in to why that might guide a logical choice for a “brand new” user…

UGHHHHH !

2 Likes

May I have an OS like Tony Stark’s? Mmmkay. Thunx

1 Like

Symbian.

1 Like

I note that they omitted Android, iOS, and iPadOS, which are sufficient as one-and-only OSes for many people.

3 Likes

Yeah, if anything it comes across more as PC mag saying “hey we are still here, and you should still care” as much as anything

4 Likes

I’d vote for any OS that offers users a reliable set and forget offline backup option. In other words: not Windows.

PC Magazine hasn’t been relevant since Bill Machrone was editor…

AND, IF ANYTHING, none of the OS’s have much relevancy anymore as they switch to being connectors to the cloud rather than necessary parts of daily experience - geez, somebody really got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning…

2 Likes

You left out advertising delivery system. Seriously, though, isn’t the OS ultimately integral to the outcome of the cyber threat?

2 Likes

It could be, if you are ok with a Chromebook…

Not if one is using Ubuntu or Fedora. I had been using Ubuntu for years on my HTPC & during lockdowns switched to Fedora, which in some ways prefer over Ubuntu & Windows.

2 Likes

Time Machine is one of the things that make me happy to be back on MacOS. I bought another 2TB SK hynix Gold P31 and an enclosure for it, partitioned it in half, let Time Machine have the APFS half and use the exFAT half for media, Steam, and other backups. It’s plugged in all the time and I never have to think about it.

3 Likes

And for that matter, if raw speed is what you are after and you have compatible applications, any of the major Linux distros clobber Windows.

Or conversely can run decently on a lot lower end hardware.

1 Like

Exactly. It’s completely befuddling to me that Windows backup has been made progressively worse (no longer supported after or as of Win7?) with the only option seemingly “sync everything to onedrive, or get a third party solution”. Pretty terrible.

1 Like