What’s your next planned device upgrade, and why?

Not yet, but I had a weak moment and bought an open box i5 SLS instead! Oops…

So yes, the plan is to cancel tomorrow, which probably means they just shipped it.

3 Likes

I almost did that a few weeks ago - local store had a great open box deal, but talked myself out of that one. Today I almost fell for a Samsung Pro 360 open box deal, but it disappeared from the local store in the buying options between when I looked in the morning and when I was ready to go out later in the day, so I just fired up the Surfacebook and gamed away the afternoon. Oddly, the fan didn’t come on this time. It’s like it knew it almost lost its spot on my desk.

Now I’m eyeing the new Tab S8, but probably won’t jump on that just yet either. I really need to sell a few things first.

1 Like

I’m beginning to think TPCR members should not be allowed to freely roam stores… :sweat_smile:

Best parts of the SLS so far: it’s fast and quiet! Let’s hope we live a long happy life together. For a few months. :smirk:

3 Likes

Come to Japan. Everything is so expensive and almost never goes on sale early that they’ll be little to tempt you device wise.

I’ve got the HP X2 Zbook G4 (the name just rolls off the tongue) but I’m sending it back for repairs for the 4th time? 5th time? This will be the 3rd time for the issue of the computer going to sleep and not waking up until I press the power button for 10-20 mins. Previous repairs included the trackpad no longer working properly and the Wacom digitizer just straight-up breaking. Frankly, I think I just got one from a bad batch but they won’t just replace it yet.

So, needless to say, I’m pretty fed up (thankfully, I have a warranty). I may just sell this one after it gets fixed and get either the Surface Laptop or the latest Wacom MSP 16. That Acer’s Concept D is nice, too.

1 Like

For me, as above, the Huawei Mate 20 X is getting on a little. It’s still a really fantastic phone and that’s why I still have it. Nothing else is the same size… .

My next upgrade would be from an i5 SP8, to something like the Z13 flow. The 3050ti is VERY tempting. Just waiting to see if a review will talk about the keyboard. If that sucks then it’s a no buy from me.

I’m still quite satisfied with my new gaming laptop + Tab S7 FE combo, so no plan to upgrade for the next 1-2 years (unless accidents happen/ Super Display stop working). I also still have small drawing screen backup in case of accident. Also having some still in good condition older Samsung tab note/ ipad with pencil/ Asus note 8 for mobile needs, so no need for upgrade for those either… ( my need is humble and I should stop buying new stuff)

My Note 8 Phone is getting old and developed a small black blotch at a corner ( which isn’t noticeable or get in the way at all). Still with the way new phone with Spen is priced, it’s probably time to buy an older Note 9 or Note 10 before those disappeared leaving only 1k$+ phones on the market. I actually preferred the Note 9 for headphone jacks, iris scanner and no hole on the screen.

4 Likes

@CrazyCat - check with your carrier - for the price of a three year contract commitment you can get a pretty cheap S22U.

1 Like

Unlike the US, mobile contract for cheaper phone is not a thing in our country because our phone bills is too cheap to be able to cover part of that cost. Most of us buy unlocked phone, either in installments or full in cash, which doesn’t really reduce the cost.

Flagships are also significantly marked up in first year of sale, so I can’t really afford any flagship during the first year it come out. Even used phone kept 80%-90% of their original price in their second year if they have spen. Regular S series Samsung without spen lose there value much faster, so it’s the dilemma of Spen users. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve been contemplating some new devices

My phone right now is a Duo 1 which has been way way glitchier since the Android 11 update. Seeing some eBay deals for the ZFold3 for around $1100 new/like new…contemplating taking the plunge, or if should wait for the Duo 2 hopefully eventually getting massively discounted, or just wait till the zFold4.

Also contemplating the Book Nova color e-reader. Never had a dedicated e-reader before so I’m contemplating giving it a try. (Just wish it had more storage)

Still on the fence with getting the Pro 8 or if I should wait for the 12th Gen 8+ or 9. If I did I would likely also get the Samsung Tab S7FE so I could use it for superdisplay purposes.

And in terms of desktop…I’m personally hoping Apple releases a M1 Max equipped Mac Mini. If that can push 4 monitors like the laptop, it would be an instant purchase for me.

And also in the market for a desktop Cintiq solution with multitouch. The 2021 Cintiq 16 Pro, Asus Pro Art, and this one Huion display are my three options.

4 Likes

I didn’t know Huion made a multitouch monitor. My interest is piqued! I really prefer multi touch, but don’t want to pay 3k for something I’ll primarily use as a monitor.

I feel like this trend is changing in the US as well. All of my phone purchases in the past 6-7 years have been unlocked. I definitely see it as more common each year anyway.

1 Like

I decided to take my Nexdock into teach this week and it’s worked out quite well. So now, I’m contemplating a Nexdock 360 again. I started a long post explaining the situation and realized it would be better suited to the general dream device thread, so I’ll just leave this here and go think out loud on another thread too.

1 Like

My mistake, it wasn’t Huion, but rather XP-Pen. Although to my credit, the XP Pen Artist Pro 16TP and the Huion Kamvas Pro 16 Plus do physically look very similar.

But yeah, 4K, 15.6 inch pen and touch for $899. The Asus Pro Art Monitor is rumored to hit a similar price range, so I’ll likely be a toss up between the two. The only thing the Cintiq 16 Pro 2022 has going for it is the express keys.

That’s because the Chinese OEM graphics tablet market has consolidated recently (though I suspect there was some sort of reference design stuff happening anyway).

I am just waiting for the delivery of my “new” Openboxed X12.
Have been using a Lenovo Yogabook C930 for the last 3 1/2 years and “need” to use W11 in the future.
While it was working great in the beginning, even for development, I mostly use it now for remote assessing my Ryzen Mini PC for that.
But when on the road, it is quite sluggisch.

Got a good deal for the I5-1140G7 16/512 model and will set it up over the weekend.

Thanks! I was looking all over for the Huion one you mentioned. IDK if I’ll splurge on this or not though, but definitely want to check it out. I mainly need a new monitor for work. I want something larger with higher definition for fitting more code on my screen, but it would be nice to double as a drawing tablet when I want it to.

So little update on my end here. For a while now I was considering a 15/16 inch Pen/Touch Monitor but never pulled the trigger.

Originally I was going to get it for my Bedroom Desktop, and I wanted something with pen/touch but in the 16 inch size to save on Deskspace. but in the past year I’ve been building up an obscenely large scale Desktop solution for my living/family room that has gradually become my more prominent Desktop. With this set up I had to essentially upscale from an 6 foot wide executive desk to a 9 foot dining room table to fit the whole thing. Both of my Desktops are powered the the 8th generation Intel Hades Canyon NUC, but the larger size one is a beast of a workstation with three 43-inch 4K Monitors by LG.

I decided to refocus my drawing tablet needs to this setup instead. I was so close to getting that 16-inch from XP pen with Pen and Touch…but then it dawned on my for this setup, space wasn’t as much of an issue so I could consider more size options. a 16-inch drawing tablet would look almost laughable paired with this monitor rig. I still wanted to retain the $800-ish price point, so things like the Cintiq Pros 24 & 32 were well beyond my budget.

But then on Amazon I found some refurbished Dell Canvas’s going for $799. Truly a Pandora meets box moment, given the esthetics of the monitor rig…it was a stupidly perfect fit. And unlike all the 20+ inch Wacom Competitors I at least get Multi-touch at an affordable price point.

So my initial quest for a 16-inch Pen/Touch monitor ended up with my getting one of the largest on the Market, the 27 inch Dell Canvas.

Here’s a pic of the setup which looks as complete as it can. (although the Hades can support another two 4K monitors…)

I must say even this Rig makes the Dell Canvas look small in comparison. But where the Canvas top end rests matches perfectly with where the LG monitors bottom begins. The only other device that would be bigger is the 32 inch Cintiq which is really only marginally an inch or two of difference between the canvas. ( I compared the specs)

The Colors on the Dell look a little off compared to the 3 LG monitors, but that’s the angle of the view to blame. In actual usage, its quite on par with the LGs.

5 Likes

The public beta for iPadOS 16 is rumored for early July, and I’ll be joining with my iPad Pro 11 (8gb/512gb/Wifi) and a refurb Magic Keyboard from OWC. Even now I think this will be pretty successful (from the hands on reports I’ve been watching and reading), but my gut tells me it is likely to be iPadOS 17 that will be the clean up stabilizer to let me make the full time switch to an iPad.

Hopefully the iPP 11 for 2023 will include an upgraded screen as well. Therefore, my next planned upgrade is next year with an iPad Pro 11, 16gb/1tb/5g (unless I just can’t resist doing it this fall…who needs miniLED/OLED anyway…ha ha ha)… :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

Bought a Galaxy Tab S8 on a ridiculously cheap deal and really like it but my (very definite) next upgrade will be when Samsung make a similar offer to upgrade from last year\s tech to whatever update there is to the S8 Ultra for less than half price.
So if they offer to upgrade my little S8 to something like the S9 Ultra when it’s out - I’m definitely upgrading.

So that’s when you can tell me not to do it… (please don’t)

Boy did you ever get a bad machine! Mine is now over 4 years old and I’ve never had any problems beyond Windows OS itself occasionally crashing and rebooting. I got to the point of buying a second stylus just in case I lost the first. I do a lot of work on mine - but it’s not as portable as I’d like - can’t hold it one handed for long while I sketch or paint.
It was only when I put the S8 tab next to my zBook that I noticed the screen had developed a lot of whispery marks on from 4 years of drawing and painting though…

I live in a pretty big house with big rooms but even I can’t justify that amount of screen real-estate to my family - though my eldest son would love it for his online gaming…