Very power efficient 27 inch display

So we tested one of these last week. It’s overall a decent FHD display (low-mid tier test results).

A few notable things about it though. As @Dellaster and I talked about in another thread, it’s sometimes difficult to find a power efficient display for applications like his in the national parks. Some of our customers have need for that type of display as well. And this is the most power efficient display we’ve tested in this size and price tier. Typically 10-15 watt max draw, unless you run it in “torch mode”

And towards that goal it’s one of the very few that has a DC in port in addition to AC.

It also is a smart TV (web OS based ) and it has speakers built in too.

OTOH ports are limited to HDMI in, but it also has an ATSC tuner.

In other words a great mobile home TV that can do decent duty connected to a computer or tablet. The only negative I had was that it is not the thinnest or lightest display in this size.

We didn’t test it, but they also make it in a 24 inch size as well.

2 Likes

I thought more power efficient are usually lighter and less bulky because less components like fan and cooling systems?

If they could make that thing thinner, lighter, at 4k with decent color reproduction (i know that is a lot of if) then something like that would be ideal for bigger cintiq, which are huge monsters with active cooling fan and laptop sized brick.

They could do all of the above, albeit at a much higher price point. This was very much designed to meet a lowish price point, under $200 US. What is notable is that it’s significantly above average as a PC display (most in this size/price range look terrible with PC text for instance) as well as being low power consumption. Why it’s as thick as it is, I don’t have a good explanation other than perhaps the housing etc. was one area they cut costs.

Ha, I guess the folks in South Korea are working today. I sent an email asking why this TV is as thick as it is and the engineer responded it’s due to the low cost, passive cooling design. So I’m assuming a bulkier case allows for freer passive airflow?

1 Like

More room inside for the air to circulate I’d guess. They also probably didn’t want to admit that cheaper plastic needs to be thicker, the structure beefier, to match the strength of better materials.

I wish my ViewSonic was “smart” and could receive streaming video from my iPhone. AirPlay doesn’t work on a Mac mini. :crying_cat_face: