Upcoming S-pen equipped mid range tablets?

I think it’s the same thing with the Samsung note phone series. The actual sucessor of the Samsung Note 9 was the Samsung Note 10 Plus, but because it’s “plus version”, it’s priced higher than the Note 9.
Mean while the ‘standard’ Note 10 had the msrp similar to the Note 9 but with much features cut compared to its supposed precedent: lower resolution, smaller screen, sd card slot removed (still available in plus version). All the features cut encourages people to pay a bit more for the ‘Plus’ version.

The same thing might happen to tablet purchase decision, with the "standard version " intentionally being crippled down to encourages sales of the Plus tablet. Still size might have a bigger impact on the purchases of tablets than phone, and there’s also a “bigger is better” mindset for people looking
for a device for productivity (because these tablet are seriously overkill for entertainment).

This is where I am with tablets for sure. I love the size of my S6 Lite. I love sitting and reading with it. I ended up with an S7+ kind of by accident. I didn’t think I cared about the screen, but there’s a big difference when I go back to the S6 lite. I’m debating upgrading to an S8 based on the current trade in deal at Samsung, since my S7+ is worth more as a trade than I paid for it. But the only way to get LTE is the S8+. I’d rather have the physically smaller tablet, but to get the good screen and LTE, I’d have to step up to the mid sized one.

Yes. arbitrary product differentiation. Though Apple is the king of that IMHO

1 Like

Seem like they are keeping the name Tab S6 Lite. The leaked price was too close to the Tab S7 FE when discounted though. It probably will be discounted soon after release, but I don’t expect to to go as low as 250$ like the older versions.

Given that seem like everything was the same except the processor, hopefully they fix the screen ghosting in the older version.

1 Like

Two comments.

I’m 95% sure it won’t be called the Tab S6 Lite. The reason some of the sites are reporting that is due to the model number being next in the sequence so to speak from the original. I have no solid information, but we’ve heard A8 Plus as the shipping product name, especially considering it looks to have much in common with it other than of course a pen and as possible processor update (mid range 700 series Qualcomm most likely)

As to the S6 Lite display ghosting issue, the panel that was used in the S6 lite is listed as discontinued and no longer available as an OEM part, so that tells me they have to use a different panel.

Allegedly the issue that caused ghosting was that the backlight was exceptionally close to the actual LCD elements and under certain circumstances , heat from the backlight was “cooking” the actual pixel elements creating cumulative, permanent long term damage.

That makes sense to me as slow phase change is a common symptom of LCD panels that have gotten too hot for whatever reason, with the most common being exposed to very bright direct sunlight for extended periods.

4 Likes

The current Samsung screen ratio still grates my sense of feng shui.

Interested to see what Android 13 makes possible for larger screens.

I wonder if the same thought exists in Asia (where they prefer the narrower aspect ratio) but aimed at Apple’s insistence on 4:3 iPads? :batman_thinking:

1 Like

I think there may be hope in future versions of Android.

The current problem for developers is the way “the canvas” aka the display aspect ratio, total number of pixels, bit depth etc. is defined by the OS .So 16:10 and 16:9 are common ones and thus developers target that aspect ratio. It’s also why you get odd UI issues and “full screen” problems on something like the Galaxy Fold 3 with it’s nearly square display, and even on the Duo/Duo2 which has a wider aspect ratio.

It isn’t in the current beta of 13, but Google has been saying for awhile that they are going to adopt the way of specifying to the OS and apps all of things related to the above, something functionally similar to the way IOS does it for the iPhones and iPads.

PS: The way apple “defines” screens is part of the issue with porting Mac OS apps and/or the OS itself. In other words dual booting Mac OS as it exists today on an iPad without significant changes to the underlying display frameworks would at a minimum produce a large number of display artifacts and oddities.

PPS: The likely reason Google has dragged their feet on making the change is that it would “break” a large number of current apps

3 Likes

See, I always learn technical stuff from you. :+1:

:bulb:Oh, you mean it’s like Wintel’s backward compatibility albatross…

1 Like

Speaking of which. Only Android Auto right now, but it’s a start.

Google’s new Android Auto interface works with any screen size | Ars Technica

1 Like

Well, in Japan the iPad, particularly the Mini, is a mighty contender. The LTE version is probably the one I see the most frequently in coffee shops.

2 Likes

Are carriers still charging an arm and a leg for the connection? I should probably know as I’m on AU, but I just let that bill go out every month without checking it.

Docomo, Au and Softbank are, but the low cost operators like Uq, Yahoo Mobile and others don’t.

Think I might just stick with hotspotting then.

From my experience, the carriers are very happy to put MVNO customers at the bottom of the list for network access. Still, great for people who don’t need a reliable connection.

I use OCN and have zero problems with connections, piggybacking on Docomo. Don’t know how well the others work but friends are constantly complaining about Softbank.

Right now, having justified my decision to buy the Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra, Samsung go ahead and offer a deal on the S8 bringing it to £399 - the trade in has gone from only old Samsung devices to any Android tablet which makes the Amazon Fire I bought and never used worth a whole lot more than it ever was. Add to it the discount code and basically the S8 is half price.

In the US, the deals are even better and if you trade in a Samsung tablet the S8 is a ridiculous $119 but the UK deal is still enough to make me change my mind.

1 Like

It figures that as soon as I assert that I think it’s highly unlikely Samsung will do something, that’s exactly what they go and do :rofl:

So the Tab S6 Lite (2022) is apparently official. It looks to be a decent device spec wise considering it’s likely "regular’ price.

I do think it’s going to cause some marketplace confusion as potential buyers looking for a “deal” will jump on the lowest price and end up with the older model. That being said, the Walmarts near me had a handful of the older models in stores on clearance for $179 a few days ago.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite (2022) quietly launches with Android 12 - GSMArena.com news

1 Like

179$? I would probably impulse purchase one if that price was available here. Unfortunatelly anything new sealed here with an s-pen cost 300$ upward.

I wonder if the Tab S7 FE would be discontinued following the Tab S6 lite (2022). The older Tab S6 lite was discontinued soon after the Tab S7 FE coming out. But given the odd naming choice and the fact that the new S6 lite is still a clear downgrade compared to the S7 FE ( older processor), hopefully Samsung keep them both as different tier for stylus users on a budget.