TPCR Down for Count?

You’ve waited a long stressful time for the SP8 - please enjoy - forum setup can wait!

2 Likes

Thanks dstrauss! This was the “swan song” I was hinting at with impending shutdown in the wings.

1 Like

I’m wondering if it’s possible for the old TPCR forum administrator/site owner to download the backend database, and then convert it to another compatible format and inject or merge into the backend database of this new forum. In this way, we won’t lose anything other than the pictures/attachments.

TechTarget are the owners and from what we can gather have no intention to share the database.

I’m pretty sure we came to the conclusion that we’re going for a fresh start here anyway, and that even if merging the forums were possible and manageable that we wouldn’t.

The Internet Archive archive should be enough for people to at least dig up information from old threads and most it here if required. Hopefully The Wayback Machine version, should it be complied, should be easier to root through.

A lot of the posts were of the time and not relevant anymore.

1 Like

This idea was already thoroughly debated and examined even with many legal minds and eyes in the virtual room. The conclusion after significant examination was given the legal risks and ramifications that would result from copying their site content wholesale, what I plan to do is instead have a link on the main forum category page to the Archive.org mirror. So if you want to browse the old site then, you can do so at your leisure. TechTarget, however, is the owner of the site content and while individuals are certainly well within their rights to take their content with them, I am not collectively every user.

Therefore, as the extended site terms and conditions specifically state that TechTarget is the owner of all their sites’ published content, if I were to take all their content and copy it as if I were acting on the behalf of every user which I legally cannot do as I am not them, I am opening myself up to a costly lawsuit not to mention our entire new site being taken down. As it is, using the “TabletPCReview” name here has already been pushing things as it is since it is identical to the old site’s name though it is not copyrighted or trademarked which thankfully limits their claim to the name.

4 Likes

I will say that @testplayer notice something that I’d seen as well, which is that the tabletpcreview server sometimes goes on a spree of only returning “page rejected” or something like that. I’d seen that before as well in the process of PMing everyone. Apparently some of these made it into to database. So if there’s any way that the archive.org folks can recrawl pages with the text “connection rejected” or whatever that text was, that would be fantastic. Kind of short notice though.

Edit: I see that you answered this elsewhere. Great to hear the were aware of this issue, hope they caught most of it.

I would also like to suggest that we stop lobbying for a “notification page” to be posted at the TPCR URL. Charles has suddenly (over the last week or so) become kind of vague about what the end state of TPCR will look like and I agree with @JoeS 's comment that putting this forum’s URL there would be pretty “in your face” of us. No need to draw that kind of attention.

Anyway, JoeS has done heroic work to notify as many TPCR members as he has. Beyond this point, I think we have to let lurkers and visitors fend for themselves; it’s not like we haven’t left a lot of breadcrumbs to help them find us again…

@Hifihedgehog @Marty

6 Likes

I agree 100% with Steve - you guys have done an incredible job setting u this site and notifying the whole prior crew - they’ll find us if they haven’t migrated here already.

2 Likes