The tablet we need but still don't see

Thats what i was thinking.
But i need real keys to type.

This one has a partial screen and keyboard, from lenovo

later

3 Likes

Itā€™s like they glued an iPad Mini 6 to the keyboardā€¦

2 Likes

Indeed Chucky, the implementation was weird, but at least it was trying something new!
Iā€™d prefer it if both screens were compatible with both pen and touch (ideally with a hardware key to toggle touch on and off like the Zbook X2). Itā€™s odd, Iā€™m perfectly happy to draw on paper flat on a table, but somehow drawing on a screen is unpleasant, unless itā€™s inclined about 15 to 30 degrees.

Iā€™ve never had the opportunity to try the Wacom Studio Pro, have you?

1 Like

Yeah that looks pretty awesome, havenā€™t seen this thanks for posting !
Just keep making it bigger I say, the creators behemoth.

No, Iā€™ve got a cintiq 22hd which I pretend is portable and sling it over my shoulder in an artbag and commute on a motorbike sometimes.
So when people talk about tablets being heavy or too big, I squint a little.
The wacom studio is just a bit small, thatā€™s why the double screen is such a great idea, you get all the creative workspace for tools, timeline and actual viewer/canvas when itā€™s open. Then it just tucks away into a regular bag.
Bring it on.
16 x 2 , thatā€™s what Iā€™m talking about. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Why waste all that space for a keyboard ?
We can get a Bluetooth one anywhere. Go big or fail, weā€™ve seen similar nervous non starting attempts before, like the Eink and touch bar.
This type of device is what kills the two screen concept, the manufacturers have to go boots and all to see this thing work and make full screen twin screen, they also have to wait for the influence effect for it to go ballistic.

First the creatives have to buy them (which needs a little investment in patience as they are not rolling in money, but they are the thin end of the wedge). Itā€™s like the gentrification process, first the arty types move in to the forgotten neighbourhood, the coffee shops follow, the place starts looking trendy then every hipster , up and coming admin type and starter ceo will get in on the act. The next thing you know the place is the most sought after in town.
Itā€™s an exponential curve but it starts slow and requires faith, not the kneejerk of tech journos who are terrified of sticking their necks out.

I have an anecdote about a certain almost ubiquitous device and how influence works.
A little less than ten years ago, before the ipencil even existed and there was only a standard ipad to buy, a buddy of mine asked if I could be a guest ā€˜designerā€™ to appear on Australiaā€™s ā€™ Celebrity apprenticeā€™. Ooof how revolting right? Anyway they said the Hoff was going to be there so I agreed, they would supply the equipment.
This IS going somewhere I promise.
So got there and the filming started, ( no Hoff though , he quit the day before ), the contestants had to make an ad for BMW so they had had a photographer the day before take photos and then I had to help them lay it all out into a magazine or newspaper ad, I forget what it was.
So they gave me a macbook pro and expected me to do all this retouching and airbrushing live in this hotel room with cameras rolling and the ā€˜celebritiesā€™ breathing down my neck.
For a start their Mac wasnā€™t configured with the software to even read RAW files and there was no pen, so after a little struggle, I reached into my bag and pulled out my now ancient EP121, which none of the people in the room had seem the like of.
Using the pen and sketching away, they were all like whatā€™s that?
I cheekily responded ( no kidding) ā€™ I call it the ipad proā€™ .
Of course there was no such thing, but everyone believed me and they all started praising apple for being so clever.
About half an hour later one of the producers suddenly said, ā€™ hang on a second, does that say Asus?ā€™ Pointing to the back of the tablet.
ā€™ Yes I said, thereā€™s no such thing as an ipad pro, you canā€™t use a pen on an ipadā€™.
There was a lot of murmuring and cuffuffling, another producer said ā€™ just hide the logo, this show is sponsored by apple!ā€™

Well, itā€™s pretty easy to imagine the behind the scenes ramifications.
I sometimes wonder, if my little ipad pro joke and the EP121 owning the macbook in this highly visible and embarrassing scenario ( which of course had to be edited out and the producers having to explain what happened to apple) might have had some effect somewhere.

Sorry for all the editing, Iā€™m a typo monster.

Eh. Windows has improved in terms of dynamic UI scaling. Not that it ever was that hard to use, especially if you had a stylus.

And there are a good selection of apps that do touch UI just fine. Concepts for example is as good as it always has been.

Now, if weā€™re talking about lazy Electron apps on the other handā€¦

16x2, I could probably live with that Chucky, although on the proviso thereā€™s a proper, physical keyboard layer too.

Iā€™m also pretty keen on having a row of mappable hardware keys down the side of the screen - my X2 is far from a perfect implementation of this, but itā€™s a hell of a lot better than not having any!

Hardware keys? On the screen?

So I have a cintiq and I hate the hardware buttons, I have a mini android tablet magnetised over the top of those pretty useless hardware keys, so that I can have different buttons for every app , where I can see what the buttons do, like a streamdeck, but cheaper and more ā€˜streamlinedā€™.

Funny Clip studio has a hardware remote, which I was never interested in , as the functions of the buttons are to obfuscated,
interestingly they just implemented this software solution for an android accessory.

Itā€™s much more useful

2 Likes

I was just playing around with my Switch and I released how nice of tablet it is physically.

• Thereā€™s the potential for any accessories on the side of your liking with the rail system, or none at all if thatā€™s your thing (or even mood).
  • Itā€™s got a decent amount of depth, allowing for a fan.

If a company could combine that with something like a Surface GO or Galaxy Book with pogo pins on the bottom and keyboard, theyā€™d be able to make a very versatile device. And Iā€™m sure theyā€™d be able to sell any accessories at a premium. Iā€™d say for such a device, Iā€™d be willing to stump up $150 - $200 for each pair of Joy-Cons side controllers.

I dunno. Hardware buttons for artists/creators seem pretty popular. And if you use your tools a lot you donā€™t really need to see what each button is (itā€™s a skill thatā€™s useful to develop like touch-typing).

The Stream Deck is another thing, as itā€™s mainly aimed at streamers who are likely to change their buttons often and have many different ones to cycle between, that also bear no relation to their physical place. But if you can find that useful, thatā€™s fair enough.

I guess the whole concept of the twin screen tablet above is the clean lines minimal hardware maximum screen.
Thatā€™s the idea, no compromises any buttons are digital.
Just like when phones dropped the keys and went fully screen interface.

Back then people could still buy a blackberry if they wanted one ā€¦ and so many people said they did, until they had a choice that is. :slightly_smiling_face:

O think itā€™s time we had a choice in this space too.

Well, thatā€™s the great thing about personal choice I suppose Chucky!
I tried a software overlay on my previous convertible (Vaio Flip 15A) and wasnā€™t into it.
My preference is for being able to keep the thumb of my left hand on the buttons and know which one is which by feel. I really donā€™t want to look at what Iā€™m pressing, but then Iā€™m only mapping a few common hardware keys for Ps Ai & Sketchbook most of the time along the odd sequence in parametric CAD. The intention is to get into ZBrush though, where theyā€™ll be handy.

I once bought an Intuos 5 (I think) for my mother years ago and that had the option of tool tips when you touched the buttons to show what was mapped - that was definitely handy till you learned them all.
I donā€™t know what the keys on the Cintiq are like, but the X2 has embossed shapes so you can tell them apart by feel.

Anyhow, having a separate smartphone to control this stuff obviously suits some worksflows, but Iā€™d need some convincing!

Well you canā€™t try it until you try it.
Anyway like I said over and over, Bluetooth keyboardā€¦ There are so many laptops, I donā€™t see the point in ā€™ blockingā€™ this for the people who DO want it.
The worst offenders are tech journos who type for a living, they have no ability to see other case uses for those who donā€™t type much but really need the screen for all the tasks illustrated in the illustration ( which was btw done without a keyboard mouse or trackpad)

2 Likes

I wonder if weā€™re talking at crossed-purposes @Chucky?
Iā€™m not suggesting a physical keyboard that interferes with your vision of an all-screen convertible, with software keys for those times or people which favour it.
On the contrary, a thin hardware keyboard, loosely in the style of the MS surface type cover, that can be used either single-handedly off to one side, for those who use a lot of keyboard shortcuts to speed their workflow - Photoshop for instance. or magnetically affixed to the device, either on top of, or perhaps as an extension to the lower screen (where space allows), for more typing-orientated tasks.
The intention is simply to make this excellent device more adaptable.

I rather like what @Tams was saying about adding functionality with optional hardware modules - the industrial design would need to be done elegantly to avoid looking cluttered and compromised, but modularity can bring all sorts of benefits.

Oh of course I absolutely agree!
Sorry for this misunderstandingā€¦ :grin: on the bright side if any manufacturers are lurking, theyā€™ll get a good clear picture from this discussion
On the hardware modules yeah thatā€™s the next stage.
I had this crazy idea that the key is a ā€™ spineā€™ module that acts like a hub or dock. That way you you could switch screens and keyboards around .Hell, have two keyboards if you like :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I did suggest that on some relevant MS place a few years back, obviously thereā€™s no hope of seeing such a design, if I keep it too myself.
What do you think about that concept, the same as above but the ā€™ hingeā€™ holds the io and itself can be upgraded.