The real barrier to WOA native support at this point (for developers anyway)

So you’re saying that you’re just molesting it then?

1 Like

I’m not sure I like where this metaphor is going. :thinking: Or rather, went. :joy:

1 Like

I don’t think QC has ever seem a lawsuit it didn’t like…

2 Likes

With apoloies to @Desertlap for hijacking this thread…

And as Kirk (Apple) wins again, Khan’s (M$) last breath…

1 Like

And I thought we were talking about Qualcomm in the antagonist role.

OK. So the two lawyers are actually going to slaughter the calf and have a month worth of t-bones and roast beef. :wink:

1 Like

Sorry - I thought the Khan reference was to MS

No. lawyers are VERY CAREFUL not to kill the golden goose (love mixing metaphors)…

3 Likes

Except for the bankruptcy lawyers who specialize in in clients that are the walking dead, or maybe it’s the creditors who are being drug along like zombies.

5 Likes

Haha, what happened to this thread? Is it WOA that just brings out the best in us? :joy:

Sorry @Desertlap, I knew I shouldn’t have tossed in that last metaphor.

4 Likes

@marty. No worries, we are an entertaining bunch on occasion :grinning:

BTW: One of my engineers was at the initial announcement of WOA… In his notes both Qualcomm and MS made the statement that they thought WOA would have 30% of the portable market within 4 years…

5 Likes

Gee, only two years late… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Makes me wonder what Intel did in response. :thinking:

Now that the NVIDIA/Arm deal is off, wonder who swoops in to create new leverage in ARM space?

1 Like

Good question. Since about mid January we’ve heard that Google might pull an Apple and release a laptop level chip though it’s likely headed for a future Pixelbook

MS has been doing a lot on the backend/server side already with their own custom chips… We’ve also heard speculation that they have done work on desktop/laptop class chips as well and that perhaps the only reason they haven’t already done so is the agreement with Qualcomm.

However my money is on Samsung, at least in the short term as they have been ramping up capacity and performance with Exynos, especially if they solve some issues with integrating AMD graphics.

The long shot is likely MediaTek. Those aren’t likely to be high performance, but instead be cheap and very power efficient. Both of which could bring some lower midrange and lower cost devices in the market which really dont exist yet. And…Mediatek has outside of Samsung to scale as they have a plethora of agreements already in place with the chip fabs, including Intel

3 Likes

Panos and company (M$) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Bookmarking this post to have the forum remind me of this post in one year. (You can do this with posts by hitting the ellipsis and hitting the bookmark.) Funny thing is if this actually comes true.

1 Like

And FWIW, especially in k12, MS reps are totally obsessed and freaked out by the success of chromebooks. And early feedback is that the new Education surface, though it got fairly glowing reviews in some of the tech blogs, has been a flop with customers

I know Microsoft should be focused on Windows , but why haven’t they just done the obvious and make a Surface Chromebook? As evident by the DUO, making a Surface Device without Windows isn’t entirely not an option.

1 Like

Because Microsoft are not for the most part not an OEM and don’t want to help a major competitor compete with them in a horribly low margin market (the cheap Surfaces make up for the low margins by getting/keeping more people using Windows).

Since they’ve abandoned their OS in the small mobile device market, using Android isn’t anywhere near as undesirable. And Android is much more open.

1 Like

I am a programmer and can tell you that MS has the tools to do that, it’s my slow and dump collegs that don’t use them.

Dotnet.Core, now dotnet5 or dotnet6(lts) are able to compile for Intel and ARM.
Our whole range of server apps are running on rasberryPi’s for some time and with UWP devs could have made their UI for WOA for about 10 Years ( it was even running on Windows mobile ).
Most of “us” are just not interested, because you have to learn.

And PWA is just glorified webpages

2 Likes

It’s true that there is just not enough market traction for the programmers to port their applications, unfortunately :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes