The Lisa is 40 years old today

Yes I still marvel in how far we’ve come.

My employer paid for my first true portable, a PowerBook 100 (still my favorite Apple product name BTW) I was most definitely privileged as it was only one other engineer, our CEO and CFO that got one.

And it was $2495 in $1991 dollars which would be $5450 today.

I also agree it was one of the all-time great laptops and in many ways defined the modern laptop. And I loved the trackball.

The evolution of the MacBook | Computerworld

1 Like

OMG - that Lisa could be expanded all the way to 1mb of RAM - insane!

I do have to marvel at tech prices - those new $2499 M2 MacBook Pros would have been only $649 back then.

2 Likes

Another look from the Verge on the legacy of the Lisa. It’s a good article, but I almost stopped reading after the first sentence. “but its influence on computing can’t be understated”.

Do these writers not even go through a basic grammar course ??? " The blindingly obvious PROPER term is OVERSTATED as by definition if you are trying to make the point that it had a wide impact that it doesn’t get the credit for.

Ok rant done, still an interesting article especially give the source, Atkinson.

Lisa’s Family Photos (theverge.com)

PS: Another sure fire way to get me to stop reading is the non word “irregardless” Hello… nonsenicl double negative much…

5 Likes

Wonder if Chat GPT would have made that kind of mistake.

1 Like

Here I was hoping the word choice was intentional, as the Lisa wasn’t exactly a product line that saw widespread adoption. But no. It is as you say. sigh

It probably DID - it is The Verge after all…

2 Likes