Tech deal alert

This is what I am thinking. I have a mac for most of the pics and everything. I only need what I use everyday. I checked and I have a ton of space free on my wimpy current ipad.

For audio lovers on here, the Massdrop X Sennheiser HD 6XX open back headphones that I love so much are down to $199 (I got them at $230, $279 list). Theyā€™re basically identical to the well-known HD650. Note: these are not a great option if you typically listen with people around: ā€œopen-backā€ means anyone around gets to enjoy your music. :slight_smile:

Fair warning: at 300 ohm they need reasonably powerful headphone-out, so best to check their huge list of user comments/reviews to see if your audio player of choice is mentioned.

1 Like

Seems like there are some sweet Black Friday deals for our U.S. members. $500 for a Samsung Tab 8 Plus that also gives you a $150 certificate on accessories in the same transaction directly from Samaung. If they can get their dang website to work.

1 Like

That is darn near hopelessā€¦

1 Like

$1399.99 - BuyDig on eBay - Surface Pro 9 Core i7 with 256GB SSD and 16GB RAM + Black Signature Type Cover + Slim Pen 2 + 2-Year Accidental Damage Protection Plan

Platinum:

Forest:

3 Likes

Costco is also having a deal on the Pro 9. Copied from Reddit:

2 Likes

Testā€¦err, Best Buy has a Black Friday sale on the Asus ROG Flow X13, a thin and light laptop with GPU and Stylus (where you can use a Surface stylus if you want). Normally $1,499, itā€™s now $999

1 Like

Waitā€¦ is that a reference to the avatar mockup I made for @dstrauss? :joy:

3 Likes

Yes, Iā€™m referencing your brilliant logo mod!

3 Likes

I know @Desertlap has praised this 4k monitor, and at $299 it is a steal. The picture quality is amazing and text is razor sharp, Windows, MacOS, or iPadOS. Wish I could afford the 32ā€ model, but this 27ā€ is simply an amazing monitor. If I didnā€™t have the Samsung 4ā€™s Iā€™d be getting two for the office.

1 Like

I was actually considering that one, Dale. Great deal. But I succumbed to the Samsung discounts and went with their $800 monitor for $487.19 (after veteran discount) with pickup tomorrow at my Best Buy.

I was agonizing all day over what to get. Hopefully I wonā€™t have regrets. At least if thereā€™s an issue I can take it back to the local BB instead of spending weeks shipping back and forth. Right? :person_shrugging:

1 Like

You bet (says the ā€œserial testerā€) - that is a heck of a deal, just more than I would need. Hope it fits the bill.

1 Like

Itā€™s a overkill with my current devices but I figured Iā€™d future proof a bit. Room to grow.

1 Like

Itā€™s always such a bummer when you find out that at the time you clicked ā€œbuyā€ in one place, the item was going for significantly less $$ elsewhere. This one at Microsoft Store was still in stock until last evening. :crying_cat_face:

Microsoftā€™s ā€œsecretā€ refurbished store is having a Black Friday fire sale:

2 Likes

24 hour update on my Samsung Odyssey G70A 28ā€ UHD monitor.

No defects as far as I can tell. Not even light bleed, to my eyes, at full brightness and black screen. Not as black black as OLED but thatā€™s normal IPS for you.

There are better monitors in the category/price for color gamut/accuracy. Part of the problem in choosing these newer 4k 27ā€/28ā€ monitors is that things are rapidly changing. This one uses the new Innolux panel, which is tops in price/performance for gaming needs but not up there with some other panels for creative activities. Choose your poison.

Another problem is benchmarking inflation vs real world experience. Likeā€¦

• Me: this looks great! Never had anything better! Iā€™m happy!
  • Bobā€™s Tech: it fails to come up to the latest standards set by xyz while in abc benchmark, nor is it as good at [measurement too picky for my eyes to detect] as brand W.
  • Me: oops, maybe I should have gotten xyz instead? But it doesnā€™t have this or that featureā€¦

You canā€™t win. Anyway, it does look great to my mundane eyes and it does have the particular features I deem crucial: both Freesync and G-Sync certified, because my laptopā€™s iGPU uses the former, dGPU the latter; non-recessed VESA mount area (nobody reviews VESA mounting), ā€˜cause Iā€™ve had monitors in the past with recessed mount areas into which my VESA desktop arm adapter would not fit. And lesser-but-nice stuff like the only sane kind of settings adjustment: a single joystick at bottom center for all adjustments, including power off. Iā€™ll never click the wrong button while reaching blindly with my finger, accidentally turning the thing off or switching input source or any other frustrating thing.

TL;DR: no defects and it looks good enough for me. It has the adaptive sync and (much) better text quality that my previous 1440p monitor lacked.

3 Likes

If there were ā€œGibbs Rulesā€ of tech, this would be rules 1-5. By the time you push the ā€œOrderā€ button it is already outpaced by something new or ā€œjust over the horizonā€ so YOU CANā€™T WIN.

3 Likes

The white Magic Keyboard for the 12.9 Pro is available for $250, down from $350:

https://a.co/d/fMYmKFV

1 Like

$999 for a monster laptop, including an S-Pen, if a 15.6" FHD AMOLED works for you:

4 Likes

Yeah, 1080p on 15.6" is not great, and ā€œAmazon Alexa built inā€ is not the selling point they think it is. Also noteworthy: it has a numpad (a plus) but because of it it has an offset keyboard (pretty big negative imo). Soā€¦ good deal, but Iā€™ll sit this one out.

3 Likes