Surface Pro 10 Rumors

I think it was errant sp checker - or maybe my MacBook even knows the truth…

1 Like

I have received a breaking leak from an anonymous tipster who is an IT consultant at a company working closely with Microsoft. According to our tipster, they have seen the device and information in meetings and they also have a friend who works at Microsoft marketing. The tipster has confirmed that there will be an OLED display option for the upcoming Surface Pro 10 in June. The OLED-equipped Surface Pro 10 will be a non-standard upgrade and will cost an additional $100-$200 compared to the LCD models. It will also feature the 120 Hz refresh rate that was first popularized in the Surface Pro 8.

This revelation adds credibility to a previous rumor from Windows Central, originally via WalkingCat on X, which suggested that Microsoft might tease the Surface Pro 10 in March. If the rumors are true, and considering that Apple is also rumored to be updating the iPad Pro line with OLED displays in March, Microsoft may take this opportunity to one-up Apple and preannounce their alleged OLED and Qualcomm Snapdragon X Elite-equipped iPad killer before Apple’s iPad Pro reveal event.

2 Likes

I’d bet the iPad Pro doesn’t come down until WWDC because surely it will require an iPadOS 18 push…

1 Like

I would like for that rumor to be true but am highly skeptical for three reasons.

1. We have been told multiple times by MS staff that using OLED would require a major overhaul of PixelSense.

2. OLED still has thermal constraints and limitations compared to conventional LCD with backlights in a chassis as thin and tightly packed as the Pro’s are (OTOH the new Qualcomm chips might be better thermally than the intel chips, but everything we’ve heard to date is that’s only true if they significantly throttle performance)

3. We hear far more talk that MS is considering killing the Surface Line outright after less than successful attempts to sell it to one of their OEMS (Lenovo thinks they have a better solution with the Yoga, Dell thinks they are a niche market at best, and HP is betting on foldable displays)

I guess we will see relatively soon…

2 Likes

We will. My source uses the same handle on various social media including Reddit and X and on X in particular, where their real name is shown in their bio, it would expose their real life identity and damage their relationship with Microsoft. I did manage to find another source on Twitter who publicly in December has made the same claim that there will be an OLED display:

https://x.com/dsccross/status/1733889606255546372

2 Likes

While Ross Young is a very good display insider, and OLED is a given on the iPad Pro 2024 (with an even thinner, thermally constrained space) I have to agree with @Desertlap:

I’m afraid the Surface line is headed to the Microsoft Graveyard…

I believe OLED will happen. It may be an attempt for them to go out with a bang before shuttering the Surface brand.

1 Like

Could very well be that is the case, or simply it was already in production from the Panay regime before Satya decide(s) to pull the plug.

Sad to think this headline might repeat with Surface…

1 Like

Surface Mini was shelved day before release as I recall.

2 Likes

Aside from all the skepticism, this would be great. Would have loved OLED on my SLS2, and if the Pro gets it, here’s hoping the SLS will follow at some point. :crossed_fingers:t2:

Edit: can’t spell loved without OLED :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, this thread certainly continues to be depressing!

For myself, whether Surface lives on or dies, I’m starting to look to Asus and HP for innovation in the foreseeable future. Maybe Lenovo, too. Time will tell…

1 Like

Yes, but you also cannot spell dole without OLED either and Microsoft never gives away something for free, so the extra cost seems to be inevitable. I will be certainly buying one, though! (Using our forum’s super secret discount method, that is. :wink: )

1 Like

I cannot for the life of me, find the site for super secret discounts. I remember threads mentioning it but can’t find it. Can you throw me the info, I am shopping for hardware for work and would like to throw them some business.

ITsavvy. Then search for the keyword “Surface demo” on their website. :wink:

1 Like

Yup. Could not remember the website. I knew it wasn’t provantage because that’s where I got my surface duo. Thanks!!

1 Like

They don’t seem to have much at the moment.

Its also worth noting that Commerical Reseller sites are technically breaking the rules when they sell demo devices on own, so I’m not sure if referring to them as Super Secret discounts is for the best.

I know what you are referring to and the campaign terms you refer to is a recommendation from TD Synnex but it is not a hard and fast requirement for their sales partners. Resellers like CDW and ITsavvy are free to use as much or as little of their allocation of demo units to incentivize sales. Also to clarify since the grammar in your post may have left some room for confusion: demo units in any case are sold to own, not to temporarily demo. Demo units loaned out on a trial basis are strictly via Microsoft representatives who have reached out and specifically authorized such terms.

1 Like

The term “Demo” means differently depending on who you get it from. Temporary or Trial units we like to refer to as “Evaluation models.” But the “Demo SKUs” from commercial distributors have a more contractual purpose tied directly to device discount programs obtained by the reseller, which is supposed to be the requirement for purchasing of a demo SKU from a Distributor. Without that “Discount” contract, they are technically not supposed to sell a Demo SKU, and that contract determines just how many the given client can buy.

Now for an excess supply of Demo SKUs near or at the end of a products lifespan…it can be argued that at that point Microsoft just doesn’t care anymore how they clean the stock out. Especially if its just an order for a single unit. If a company tried purchasing 50 demo models, that would set off a ton of red flags.

And CDW is somewhat the rare unicorn in mix since they are both a Reseller and a Distributor…in many ways the rules they can get away with breaking is unfair to the rest of the channel.

4 Likes

Didn’t mean to open Pandoras box. Just looking to price some items so I though i would check then out too.

2 Likes