Surface Pro 10 Rumors

It is nowhere as much as you might think. 1000s of TOPs is for large-scale multi-serve workstation AI chips and not the daily user basics. The article I referenced answers this question rather easily. A minimum requirement of 40 TOPs in needed to run the local version of Copilot. This is actually higher than the likes of Siri which also runs locally and has been for the last two years that runs on chips with as little as ones to tens of TOPs. Heck, M3 can only manage 18 TOPs with its NPU.

Plus there will always be an online factor given the volatility and variability of everyday data such as weather, travel, sports, and so on where a cloud-based AI service can be more helpful. The reason Intel is being so coy about this whole situation is they are behind the eightball in last place. Their AI performance is far below this minimum requirement that Snapdragon X Elite easily clears with 45 TOPs with its NPU alone and also behind their x86 arch-rival AMD. By comparison, 14th Gen Meteor Lake’s NPU is in last place annd only manages to eke out 10 TOP. While nothing fabulous, AMD’s 8040 series’ NPU beats them with 16 TOPs.

1 Like

MS Surface Pro 10 for Business can be preordered - max RAM configuration is 64gb, which is nice and impressive (and expensive!). What is less impressive though are the benchmarks of the Intel Core Ultra 7 165U, which lag noticeably behind the 155H in the Samsung Galaxy Book 4 pro 360. I´m surprised that this seems to be Microsoft´s final word for a new generation of the Surface Pro line!

I get the sense that these are placeholders and/or contract commitment devices and that the consumer SnapDragon devices will ultimately be the surface line.

MS I think is just hesitant to push the WOA line to business at least right now, due to the terrible rollout of WOA and the Pro X originally (which they pushed hard in corporate at initial launch) until the new Snapdragon devices "prove themselves " in the market.

To that end, multiple customers of ours are following that approach by using the new models as refresh/replenish devices, but are holding off on expansions or larger purchases until they are comfortable about how they perform in the real world.

Same with the handful of other OEM devices that have been “soft announced” where they may buy one or two initially to evaluate/test and then possiblyconsider for broader deployment later on.

If and it’s still a huge if IMHO, the Elite chips deliver on at least a good portion of the hype.

4 Likes

Although the hype is not “AI levels of hype” I think if Snapdragon delivers on 25-30% of the current hype it will gain traction. I know that is a low threshold, but claiming near M3 Pro levels of performance is a real stretch, and so much relies on MS’ ability to tune Windows and all their software for his performance in WOA.

I don’t mean to sound negative, but my greatest concern is that the consumer SKU of Surface 10 looks to be the way to go BUT it will also be worm-ridden with AI, bing, and Edge fighting their way to the front of your screen at every turn.

1 Like

Interesting timing on your post as I was just speculating on that MS tuning (which appears to be the case this time out) over in the snap dragon elite thread, and some intriguing discoveries we have made about 14th gen core I running under Linux

2 Likes

@Cbutters - not to highjack the thread (well, not much) have you been able to get a Surface Pro 8 to use a 2TB drive like the Micron 2TB 2400 M.2 2230 NVMe PCIe 4.0x4 SSD MTFDKBK2T0QFM?

Really like the overhead of 2TB on my MacBook, and thinking about the future…

It should work, i didn’t personally test that one ever, just the WD SN730 or SN740. But I believe the micron 2400 was solid for others.

3 Likes

Thanks - guess my concern is more about the 2tb SSD’s than the specific brand - have read about incompatibilities with 2tb drives on the Surface 8, but not on Surface 9.

I really am enjoying how all these Apple devices work together so smoothly, but can’t shake the desire for a one device carry at 2.5 pounds instead of laptop and tablet at 4.5 pounds.

Just as a note of clarification and for @dstrauss’s benefit, since I already went down this rabbit hole, PCIe 4.0 SSDs still do not work out of the box with the Surface Pro 8, even with the latest firmware updates. You have to perform the following registry ninja moves before running Windows, as described at the link below, for the drive to even work without getting caught in an endless cycle of reboots. This is because the Surface Pro 8 does not supply sufficient power under load for the PCIe 4.0 drives. In short, PCIe 4.0 SSDs are strongly discouraged for anything below the Surface Pro 9. However, if you are willing to get your hands dirty, it is doable.

1 Like

My goal in this late stage of life is CLEAN HANDS AT ALL TIMES.

PS - I still have 450gb free on my 1tb; just thinking of future proofing IF (a very BIG if) I get enticed by SP10 ARM…I still think if it’s just the same Surface Pro 8 form factor I won’t be tempted, especially given how fast the interoperability is among all my Apple gear…

Given how much better the Surface Pro 10’s OLED display is and its Snapdragon X Elite’s emulated performance is (spoiler: even while emulated, it’s even faster than the Surface Pro 9’s native performance while drawing significantly less power), I’d wager you’ll be lulled over.

Wow good resource, I think i must have been using the pcie 3.0 versions of things back in SP8 days. Which makes sense, I don’t think I bumped my surface pro to 2tb until SP9 Generation.