Surface Devices will be anounced in October. Let the Speculation Begin

+1 for this as well.

My wife’s Studio 2 continues to amaze and satisfy everyone who comes into contact with it. A Studio 3 would be a welcome update (and a BIG threat to my wallet)!

7 Likes

I would love nothing more to see a Studio 3, or at least a Studio Monitor of sorts.

I can definitely attest at the Commercial Market, the Surface Brand not having a Desktop Solution is a big weakness as that allegedly gets asked about somewhat regularly.

Only instead of a Proper Studio 3, I’d rather see a Slim Pen 2 equipped Studio Monitor, and a NUC sized Surface Mini Desktop Box, that can be purchased either together or separate.

2 Likes

Agreed but Microsoft won’t make as much money on that combo - customers could easily buy a different desktop box to power the screen. Corporate customers would buy the Microsoft combo but Joe Bloggs on the street would follow their own paths.

For example: replacing the Microsoft box with a Mac Mini M1 or M2 running parallels.
I don’t know the latest but i remember at one point suggestions the Mini with an emulator could run Windows faster than many native Windows machines. I just don’t think Microsoft want to open themselves to that comparison.

Perhaps an equally important speculation: will Dale buy one of the new Surface devices? :grin:

2 Likes

No.

1 Like

Anybody laying odds?

4 Likes

Is that a “final and absolute, unyielding, unbending, conclusive, from time immemorial to the ends of eternity” no or is that a no as in “a lawyer’s no, as in I officially do not have anything public right now, per se, but as soon as I decide to go public or after many lessons learned and positive adaptations, things may in fact radically and rapidly metamorphize into a yes somewhere down the line”?

4 Likes

10:1, with 10 of course getting the latest Surface and promptly discarding dstraussing it and 1 being the universe experiences a “big crunch” and implodes in on itself…

1 Like

Youse guys are hilarious…

No means no until it means yes…

Anyone seen anything lately on Neo?

5 Likes

As time has moved on, I am beginning to think that it’s all in the name with this one for Microsoft. N(e)o.

2 Likes

Matches my answer, and put odds at 3:1 he STAYS in Appletraz…(ouch, third person)

2 Likes

Now, I have to modify that flippant response after seeing my doctor for the last follow-up to my CABG last fall - I may have to change my tune if Samsung gets to a watch that monitors blood pressure and blood sugar levels BEFORE Apple - that would be a game changer and my cardiologist is already on record that he’d buy them for his patients in a heartbeat (pun intended)…

BUT I don’t think anyone will ever get there with non-invasive sensors during my lifetime - I can here Dr. McCoy now -

3 Likes

That is just the Shock & Denial phase :wink:

3 Likes

Yes they will. They definitely will! Think positive about your life expectancy, Dale. You’ll be around another 40 years or more and they surely will have such sensors by then. Maybe nanomachines in the bloodstream reporting back via your Apple Watch. :vb-agree:

(Will that be invasive? Not more so than the usual batch of nanobots injected by Google, a requirement to receive any metaverse access.)

5 Likes

Free when you buy the Pixel 7 phone and watch…

4 Likes

So if the new Surface devices all come with higher refresh rates than the usual 60Hz, will I need to keep my external monitor in sync and upgrade to a Monitor with similar refresh rate?

Looks like no, external monitors can be driven at other refresh rates than the internal display. Case in point, the 120Hz SLS drives my oldish Dell monitors just fine.

2 Likes

As long it’s not VGA only, you should be fine.

We have seen some flakiness with converters from HDMI/Display port not working properly with a couple of core I 12th gen systems from Dell. It looks like they are dropping the vsync control line for some reason, likely to cut costs.

3 Likes

That will be interesting for me to test should I ever get my hands on a 12th gen device. At my work setup, as I’ve said in other threads, my work laptop is a Surface Laptop Studio which I have set to 120hz. True to form of my home desktop monitor monstrosities, I turned my Cubical into a Multi-Monitor nuthouse. My job supplies us with 2 external monitors for our cubicles, two 23 inch HP monitors at 1080p res. So ideally we are supposed to have a 3-monitor setup which is inadequate for my uses. So currently at my Cube, I have my SLS pushing 4 external monitors. I was able to inherit a 4K/32 inch Curved monitor from an exiting employee, and barrowed another HD monitor from one of the many empty cubes. So the SLS at 120hz, can push one 4K and three HD all at 60hz.

Part of how I achieved this was by using the J5 triple monitor Dock, which pushes the 4K monitor and two of the HD monitors, however one of the HD monitors it does via a VGA connection and a graphics driver hack, ala Display link. The J5 dock connects via USB-C, and I can connect the 4th monitor to the 2nd UBS-C port. And I even tested a 5th external HD monitor by way of using the Surface Dock 2 concurrently with the J5. But for that only the one would work, trying to add a 6th HD monitor via the Dock 2 wouldn’t work.

But with what your saying, if my job gave me a 12th gen device, would that throw a proverbial monkey wrench into my Cube set up because of the VGA connection?