Should we have an AI subcategory? (yes, and now we do)

There was a suggestion to add a separate subcategory for AI related posts. Given how much we talk about this, sounded like a good idea. Below is the short discussion, and here is the new subcategory.

3 Likes

I would be ok creating an AI subcategory for discussion on chatbots, algorithms, and related legal/societal issues (eg. your very interesting thread on ā€œfair useā€ in the digital age).

Is that something people would like to see?

1 Like

@AIBot Should we add a subcategory for discussion of AI bots like you?

1 Like

Maybe they added a directive to the bot not to give advice? Letā€™s try again.

@AIBot Do all the cool kids want a separate subcategory for discussing AI bots?

And there we have it. :roll_eyes:

As for me, I think a subcategory for discussion would be fine.

1 Like

To me it feels like general AI musings are fine under Community > General discussion, or even under Technology. Generative AI based art could be under General > Digital creations, although theyā€™re not specific tablet creations.

My thinking is that this forumā€™s main theme is pen tech and its uses, while AI is kind of outside that. Totally fun to discuss, but I donā€™t think it rises to the level of a separate subcategory. Just my $0.02.

1 Like

Iā€™m fine with that - just that the subject seems to be the hot topic of the day and is scattered across several different threads - maybe we could just consolidate those threads into 1?

What we - I donā€™t have a mouse in my pocketā€¦

1 Like

A possible counterargument to that is underlying technology that powers pen/tablet tech is still considered as relevant.

For example, we have ā€œPlatform Advancementsā€ created specifically for underlying silicon technology. But to group AI under this would detract from the hardware focus, so a separate category could be justified.

Just trying to be fair. (Someone has to speak out for the AI bots. :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

Unfortunately, they donā€™t be able to speak very well for themselves.

2 Likes

@AIBot Cat got your tongue?

Maybe given that the Technology subforum is a bit quiet anyway, we can make a separate ā€œMachine Leanrning and AIā€ section there. Fine by me.

2 Likes

I did a quick search, and found enough AI posts to warrant a subcategory. If people feel that this strays too far from our ā€œcore missionā€, I can easily move these back into Technology > General discussion, but for now Iā€™ve made a new category Technology > Machine Learning and AI .

3 Likes

Thank you HALā€¦

Kudos to @JoeS, who (unlike my lazy as*) did the proper thing and created a new thread to discuss the new subcategory. He is the ā€˜keeperā€™ that allows our rantings to stay organized. :smiley:

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: AI inaccuracies