Security and privacy Q&A

Maybe the old jokes about the ATT logo resembling the Death Star were more on point than we realized

3 Likes

Palpatine returns…

The epitome of how you can tell when someone is lying - their lips are moving…

1 Like

Satya has now joined the ranks of Yogi Berra: “Surprises are bad.”

After being blindsided by Sam Altman firing, Satya Nadella vows OpenAI governance changes: ‘Surprises are bad’ (msn.com)

6 Likes

We made too many wrong mistakes.

2 Likes

The hits just keep coming:

3 Likes

I’m torn in my feelings about these things. On one hand the danger of these continued flaws IMHO can’t be overstated. The TLDR of this that it’s no longer a matter of if you will ever fall prey to one of these , but when and how.

OTOH speaking purely as an engineer, the ingenuity of some of these also impresses me.

It also reminds me of something I learned very early on which was that for every option or feature you add to a design, you should plan on at least three ways for it to fail, or operate in ways you didn’t plan for/imagine

2 Likes

Right? One commenter on Ars did raise a fair point: “Why put an entire image parsing library in the UEFI?” Answer probably: “because it’s easy”.

1 Like

“The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.”

• Capt. Mongomery Scott, Ret’d
2 Likes

1 Like

Is this another “Game over MAN!” moment? I’m serious - it would seem that no matter how vigilant you are this one is going to bust your chops no matter what you do.

1 Like