Security and privacy Q&A

So this is sort of on topic, or at least adjacent to it, and I suspect that it will get additional attention as Netflix more broadly rolls out the so called “crackdown” on account sharing"

Netflix data collection has always been a bit of a “black box” as to the data they collect, including the meme a few years ago, “Netflix thinks I’m gay…”

Netflix Begins to Restrict Password Sharing in Several Countries (gizmodo.com)

Yeah this is an annoying development. They already charge a ton for getting 4k streams, which also gets you many simultaneous streams, but you won’t be able to share what you’ve been paying for. I understand that there’s abuse, but personally I’m largely keeping Netflix because of the out of household family members I’m sharing the account with. I’ll definitely reevaluate the subscription.

Exactly. My daughter shares my Netflix account and she is at college over 500 miles away for the majority of the year.

Oops, I hope someone at Netflix doesn’t read our board , otherwise I’ve outed myself :rofl:

2 Likes

That’s exactly the kind of scenario. If they’d offer lower tier 4k plans, like $15/mo with two simultaneous streams and two device downloads, sure, I’ll tack on an extra user. But upcharging me for 4k streams and asking to pay for extra users feels scummy.

1 Like

And I’m largely not subscribed to Netflix because the high prices are not even close to being worth it when you’re a single person not sharing with anybody else. Very similar to the situation with Microsoft 360 which you could share with five people and was worth it for that but not at all worth it for a single person. :anger:

Maybe they’ll reduce the price to a reasonable amount for a single person if all the abuses are eliminated… Naw, what am I thinking?! They’ll pocket the profit.

1 Like

My kids have gotten me addicted to the Korean dramas that are so popular on Netflix. I’ll have to bite the bullet.

2 Likes

Right now I’m so glad I prefer to read books. It was always a question of time before they start upcharging their customers. Only option whennew subscribers stagnate.

1 Like

We’ve known this to be true for awhile but it’s still depressing to see it.

TLDR (and @JoeS may be on to something here :slight_smile: ) but paranoia around privacy is likely justified. :face_with_peeking_eye:

Mozilla says “most top apps” on Android have misleading privacy labels | Ars Technica

2 Likes

Oh it’s definitely justified, but in this case my reaction was “Well duh…”. There are NO penalties for misreporting privacy policy in the Android app store and no checks by Google, so what did we really expect…

2 Likes

BTW: one thing that I’m surprised hasn’t gotten more attention on this front are some of the company deployed app for things like HR and payroll.

The ADP app (especially on Android) sucks up all kinds of info that IMHO they have absolutely no justification to have. But in my company for instance that app is the company approved solution for employees to view their pay stubs, make changes to their tax deductions etc.

Paycor and Bamboo HR are also pretty bad.

1 Like

BTW Amadeo is at it again: maximum nefariousness implied, but no facts. I am pretty sure Facebook tries to hover up what it can, but it just seems unprofessional to imply something like this without quoting any proof whatsoever of (extra) bad behavior.

The same privileged permissions model also applies to preinstalled apps, which is part of the reason Facebook works so hard to be preinstalled on most Android phones—more permissions means better spying.

2 Likes

Yeah he’s almost the definition of “flawed messenger” in that I appreciate that he’s trying to warn and get people to care about this stuff, but using dubious methods only hurts it in the long run.

In the absolutely smallest defense of ADP and Bamboo HR, they do disclose what they gather if you take the time and (have the legal chops) to read and understand their lengthy terms of service, but I suspect that only obsessives like me take the time and make the effort.

1 Like

Next to the “accept” button they should add one that says “begrudgingly accept”. :grin:

2 Likes

That is why this little practice does all of its accounting and payroll on a 2001 Dell XPS Desktop PC that is not connected to the internet nor the company’s network. The Dell runs Windows XP stand alone and still works perfectly. Quickbooks is the 2002 version and we use a 2003 version of Timesheets for billing. Obviously, with remote data entry and other accounting practices typical in larger firms, you can’t do this in most professional offices.

2 Likes

Makes sense. The only thing that would concern me a bit is what happens when it finally dies. None of the modern systems can even run XP and even virtualization under Windows 11 is starting to be curtailed due to chip and TPM compatibility.

And to take a step back I do think this rapacious quest for data is partially our own fault as A: most users don’t push back against it nearly enough, and B: Many people are cheap and lower upfront prices have the vendors looking for revenue elsewhere to compensate. (got to keep those margins up).

People don’t realize it but something like Office is actually cheaper relative to today’s dollars than it’s ever been.

There’s a larger discussion to be had about cultural context. Dystopian anti-heroes, nihilistic “it’s all going to hell anyway,” “it’s ok, I didn’t get caught” (and when they do “it’s unfair”). For another thread …

I’ll move my secretary’s Thinkstation into the bookeeper’s space and get her a new computer like she’s been asking for for quite some time. We religiously back up the Quickbook and Timeslip data. She uses Windows 10 at the moment. I’m assuming that there will be no problem running the legacy software on Windows 10.

I just don’t see any reason to put that data online. Frankly, I would love to upgrade to a new version of Quickbooks but the last time I looked, I couldn’t find a traditional stand-alone version.

Without knowing which version of Quickbooks or timeslips I couldn’t say but QuickBooks at one point some versions did have a version bomb/block which would not allow installation on Windows 10. You are probably fine, but I’d check with QuickBooks just to be certain.

And since we are once again way off topic anyway, the looming timebomb that most haven’t even begun to think about yet is what will happen if the congress decides to revoke or make permanent Daylight Savings Time.

According to our analyst, that will break the large majority of pre 2010 software and some OS’s :face_with_peeking_eye:

Gee thanks - now I better go change the title of my password list.

Alright! Y2K + 10!