Samsung Galaxy Book3 360 and 360 Pro

Would you use the Book 3 360 in landscape or portrait mode? The Book 3 360 (so non-pro) has a 16:9 screen, so keep in mind that for portrait mode that can be narrow. Otoh for watching movies and OneNote in landscape mode it is perfectly fine.
And like JoeS mentioned this is obviously heavier than a tablet but it is light for a laptop, so generally speaking for short tablet usages that is fine and for longer use (like say an hour) you will want to rest it on your lap or such.

1 Like

Ever since I saw that twin screen Lenovo, everything else looks old fashion and quaint. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been faintly surprised that holding a touch screen laptop in one’s lap rotated 90 degrees hasn’t become an officially supported mode of operation, esp. for units which have a stylus.

I know this post was over a week ago, but looks like the 13" is now on the US website as well, for $1299 (actual price without trade-ins, as much as they’re trying to pretend it’s $799).

1 Like

Palm rejection seems unreliable on this device and I´m wondering if a drawing glove would solve the issue.

Brad Colbow mentioned in his review of the new Galaxy Book 3 Pro 360 palm rejection issues, and when I was able to try the S Pen on a Galaxy Book 2 Pro 360 in an electronics store, even with the appropriate settings in Windows Ink checked palm rejection seemed unreliable.

I´m very tempted by the Galaxy Book 3 Pro 360, but this could be a deal breaker.

Anyone with experiences re. this issue?

1 Like

I have the GB 2 Pro 360. Palm rejection seems fine. ??? No big deal to me at all. It seems just like normal, honestly.

1 Like

Well, it seems to be kind of inconsistent. I noticed setting down the palm doesn´t create a smudge, but the moment the small finger touches the display it can create a small dot. Do you know if drawing gloves could prevent this?

The short answer is, yes, it should. The kind that cover the base of the hand and the bottom two fingers. That’ll do the trick and still let you pinch to zoom with ease.

@SteveB: Thanks - like I said, I´m very interested in the Book 3 Pro 360. Maybe I´ll order a drawing glove and try again a demo unit. At any rate, the new 16´ display should be a pleasure to draw and paint on with the S Pen, plus supposedly flex resistance of display and chassis is considerably improved. The only downside is the limit of 16Gb Ram and no dedicated GPU. But the performance of the 13th gen Intel Core i7 should make up for that.

Hey all, just chiming in with MY WONDERFUL OPINION about the 16" Book 3 pro 360, having upgraded from a Notebook 9 Pro 15"er. Took full advantage of the free 1tb upgrade here in the UK.

I generally work across most Adobe apps (locked in 4 life :frowning: ) and a few other drawing/animation apps, and I think it’s safe to say that performance on any laptop past 12th gen have been buttery smooth and exactly what you’d expect from modern chips. For some client illustrations tasks, I generally hop between Photoshop and Illustrator and found the performance was leaps beyond the N9P15", as I should expect with an upgrade like this. It only tanks ever so slightly when I’m working with big brushes, or one project file in particular had loads of smart layers, smart effects and layer styles, along with clipping masks across a bunch of layers. It was no where near as bad as the N9P and could image that file would push me back to the desktop to finish off if that was the case. Performance feels on par (maybe not as good though) as my 8th gen desktop 8700k. But using way less power (because energy crisis, Intel, hello, please stop letting desktop CPUs just unlock and use whatever wattage they fancy)!

Drawing onto the screen is exactly what you’d expect from any Samsung EMR device, it just works, it’s the best in class for portable creative devices, everything else needs to look up to this and worship it! I do think my pen is set up a bit on the weak side so I have to push with unnecessary force to make thicker marks when drawing, but have adjusted it now, all good! No idea why the S-Pen right click has to bring up s-pen shortcut bar instead of doing anything useful, so I’ve deactivated the S-Pen stuff, and have an AHK script that puts back in the right click function (along if you’re holding shift, ctrl, alt). Here if you need it: Dropbox - spen.ahk - Simplify your life (requires AHKHID)
Also, I used this with my HP ZBook X2 pen, works fine, although misplaced it right now so can’t remember if the eraser worked as intended (usually does though).

EDIT: Yes you can use RadialMenu, but found using modifer keys didn’t work, so this script should rectify that. You can change it to whatever shortcut you want if you’re handy with editing AHK scripts.

People chatting about palm rejection? Meh, it’s about as normal as any other Samsung device and like other touch screen devices. It’s there, it happens once in a while, a glove sort of resolves this unless you have ULTRA HOT HANDS then you might as well just disable touch for a bit. But as Brad said, some apps have nice ways of dealing with this, else I’m sure you can find a work.

I’ve used this outside and it’s fine, it does go bright enough for most use cases. Super sunny out? Forget it, unless you get an antiglare screen protector or something (and like to cook your laptops).

Battery life. In optimised mode, with battery protector (set to max 85% charge), brightness set either in the middle or below (not into having my eyes seared out) I get:
8-10 hours doing boring menial normal useage tasks: web browsing, listening to music over bluetooth, watching youtube videos
6-8 hours in most drawing apps: Krita, Autodesk Sketchbook, Fresco, Adobe Animate (weirdly)
4-6 hours photoshop and illustrator
4-5ish hours in After Effects working across simple and multi layers 2D projects, and the odd render (this is GREAT btw).

9 Likes

@whoa Quality first post, welcome to the forum! Sounds like a great system.

1 Like

Welcome and thanks for the great write-up!

1 Like

This is great, thank you!

Now if only one of our customers would submit one for our certification tests :slight_smile:

I hadn’t noticed this earlier (even though it’s right there in the OP image), but the 16" model has a numpad and the off-center keyboard and trackpad position that comes along with that. I’m not sure I could handle that! Edit: and so does the 15.6" model it seems, if the Best Buy image is accurate.

Image from the TomsGuide review

1 Like

I missed that too. And it’s even more of a potential issue for left handers like me…

Yeah.

I wish that the industry would work up a standard were there’s a section of keys suited for use as a numeric keypad on both sides of the keyboard (and the trackpad is nicely centered) and the side the numeric keypad is on could be toggled back and forth, and the side which wasn’t being used for numeric keypad could be programmed for keyboard shortcuts and modifiers.

This would be esp. nice if when folded in tablet mode, the outermost column of them would remain active and could be used when drawing for modifier keys.

A Galaxy Book3 360 is still at the only thing I’m serious considering to replace my Samsung GB12.

Haha, nice, I was just trying to think of a solution as well. Why I came up with was “place the keyboard symmetrically, but have the numpad be a slide-out affair, with one column of keys sticking over the edge when extended”. Seems technically challenging, fragile, and niche, but at least it would give you that row of shortcut keys sticking out when in tablet mode. :slight_smile:

About 10 years ago when the OEMS first started doing this type of thing, Lenovo offered on a couple of their portable workstation Thinkpads, a decent solution (albeit very pricey) which was to allow the customer to order a left handed or right handed configuration. It must not have been a sales winner though, as I haven’t seen it since even from Lenovo

All of the 15.6" galaxy books have had that configuration with the numberpad to the side and the trackpad centered on the keyboard (not the full device itself) since atleast 2018 or 19. Lots of other larger devices from other companies do too though.?? Doesn’t seem so uncommon to me.

Didn’t mean to imply it’s uncommon, it’s just something I had missed initially. Glad my 14.4" Surface Laptop Studio doesn’t have a numpad!